First Tunnelhull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

Hello everyone.

As I am new to the r/c boating scene i thought i shoud get some advice.

I would like to get a 3.5 tunnelhull outboard boat. As this would be my first tunnelhull what would you guys suggest as far as engine and hull design. I don't plan on racing it but i would like a quickish boat that handles good.

Any suggestions

P.S After reading a few posts it seams the dunlap 27 is popular. Would this be a good first boat? Where could i get plans in Australia?

Cheers. ;D

You wanna build a wood boat, then? Check out the WOF28/30 post, or go to www.grimracer.com and order yourself a Villain S1. The Villain is a pre cut kit, and it's really easy for putting together your first.

If you're gonna get the Villain, you should probably order it from Tim Fulton at Precisionboatsracing.com. He has helped me out a TON.

The only company actively making an outboard for .21 size engines is Thunder Tiger. I would advise against buying a K&B on ebay because parts for the old ones are non existent, and parts for the new ones have been scarce, to say the least. Good luck.

.21 size engines that complete with a lower unit, that is. Of course you could always spend some extra $$ and get an expensive powerhead with another company's lower unit, but that's up to you.

Hi Grant,

I gather from your post your in Australia - wherabouts?

I'm pushing tunnels in Oz - send me an e-mail and we'll see what we can sort out for you.

cheers

GT ;D

If I had a choice between the Dunlap 27 and the JD WOF 28/30 - I'd go with the WOF 28/30.

Just my opinion, of course.

If you can afford the cost of the kit and shipping, the Villain S1 is an excellent choice.

If you don't really plan on racing, the wood kit version of the Dumas Hot Shot Sprint is a good running boat with a stock motor. You can order it from Towerhobbies.com

Jerry Dunlap

Are you sure you want to build a boat when your just getting started,how about you look into a hull all ready built .Check out HTB boats.com nice boats they handle great and are all ready built plus you can order any color you want.just add electronics and put the radio box together.I have three boats myself i dont race but have lots of fun. ;D

Grant,

If you want to get a 'glass tunnel - I can reccomend the Aussie made Gadget Craft F1-11. A lot cheaper than importing a hull from the US and will serve you well IMHO.

If you want to go with a Dumas Hot shot as Jerry suggested - contact HHQ in Sydney - they have them.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim

What's the price on the Gadget Craft F1 ??? PM me if you don't wont to post it .

Thanks for all the help guys.

After thinking about it for a while I think i will get a kit locally rather than import from the states. I would like a Villain but the cost of getting one imported is a bit high. (Unless there is an Australian distributor i don't know about : :) )

At this stage maybe a hot shot or similar with a thunder tiger motor. Has anyone used this setup? What MPH could i expect?

I chose this engine because my local model shop sells them at a reasonable price.

Also TimD you suggested the gadgetcraft boat as a cheaper option but the link you posted shows the price as being more than a Villain kit.

I like the look of this boat so i just want to make sure of the price before i decide.

Once again thanks for the help.

Grant,

The price on the F1-11 that I put the link up for is to the USA (shipping on built hulls is expensive) Plus it is a fibreglass boat - not a box full of wood. Ring John @ Gadget craft for a price here in Oz - his number is (02)65561240. Tell him Tim gave you his details.

The Oz importer for Grim's stuff is a guy I race with - his email is [email protected] - if you want a villain send him an email.

Thunder Tigers have a tonne of potential - my friends boat (f1-11) ran 47mph on 50% with no pipe and with a heavy GPS in the boat.

Have a look at http://www.intlwaters.com/articles/modtt.php for some ideas.

Cheers,

Tim.

Latest posts

Back