First Run

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Jones

Well, I put the first 3 runs on my Vision Craft / Stock OS setup today. Fuel is Byron 55% Hydro Glo. I added 2.5 oz of Byron Lube Booster to the gallon in order to bring it up to 18% that OS claims the outboard needs. Everything went surprisingly well.

I'm actually impressed with the motor. At such a rich setting it really held the low-end well. I was expecting it to die as soon as it hit the water, and I expected it to die at any throttle setting less than 100%. Not the case here. I remember about 20 years ago, I was running my first boat, a Dumas Hot Shot 45. I seem to recall that K&B being really fussy. But, it was a long time ago, and a boatload of other variables that I can't recall.

Also, I'm running a LiFe 1100 MAh battery. Those 3 runs took out about 190 MAh. I suspect as I start leaning up the mixture and putting more force on the boat, this may change some. I doubt it'll be significant, though. I think, by my calculations, that I can get 10 good runs out of this battery.

Well, that's about all of the data points I can think of. I'm considering postponing my heli flying this afternoon and going back out on the water! Happy boating, y'all!

-JB

Great news JB, Yes the OS 21 is an amazing little powerplant, very reliable, powerful and fun. If you take the head shim out, cut off 3/8 inch of the skeg, and put the right prop on it you will be amazed at how fast it will run. I have not touched my choppers in years, tunnels are the bomb! Beasley

Last edited by a moderator:
Joey,

Looks awesome buddy, keep testing and testing, in time she will be a unstoppable rocket. Those Visions are one sweet ride to say he least.

Beau

James, just further to your skeg mod, has there been much research into the angle the bottom of the skeg runs at that you know of? I know that one of the circuit boat manufacturers in Aus has found adjusting the angle on the bottom of the rudder has an impact on the boats handling, wasn't sure if it would be the same for these boats?

James, just further to your skeg mod, has there been much research into the angle the bottom of the skeg runs at that you know of? I know that one of the circuit boat manufacturers in Aus has found adjusting the angle on the bottom of the rudder has an impact on the boats handling, wasn't sure if it would be the same for these boats?
the leading edge on the rudder for inboard cat that has a tuneable effect on the way the run but as for the bottom of these little o/b legs I would say no bearing on attitude the prop is the dominant force here.

Thanks Beau! Long time no see, hope all is well!

It ran a lot better this weekend. I got it leaned up a good bit. It's still fairly rich, but I'm getting it there. I think the lurching is being caused by the inconsistent power. We'll see in the next few runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHTUkIBlzWo&feature=youtu.be

Kinda boring, but I didn't feel like editing it down.

-Joey

Joey,

Looks awesome buddy, keep testing and testing, in time she will be a unstoppable rocket. Those Visions are one sweet ride to say he least.

Beau

Joey,

What propeller are you running in this last video?

Motor is loaded way too much, reduce the trailing edge cup and watch

that motor come alive.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Hey Mark,

It's a 1440 from Offshore electrics. I haven't put on that prop that I got from you yet. Perhaps I'll try it out for the next few runs. Yes, it's loaded up pretty good. I've still not yet hit the mixture right. I'm slowly working up to it. The motor is new...maybe 6-7 tanks through it. I'll get it there!

-Joey

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'll also get some color on the deck. I've just been lazy lately.

Joey,

What propeller are you running in this last video?

Motor is loaded way too much, reduce the trailing edge cup and watch

that motor come alive.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Back