fieldbox battery

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter mueller

i'm at the point now that i need to build me a field box(suggestions are very welcome).tools, fuel/starter......

i was diggn around and have an old/new 12v motorcycle battery that was intended for for my late father's flight box.

cant remember where but i have a gut feeling these batteries aren't used any longer?

.12~.21 motors is far as i plan on going, so no need to do 24v starter.

so my question(s) would be, what is everyone using?

Thanks

i'm at the point now that i need to build me a field box(suggestions are very welcome).tools, fuel/starter......

i was diggn around and have an old/new 12v motorcycle battery that was intended for for my late father's flight box.

cant remember where but i have a gut feeling these batteries aren't used any longer?

Thanks
12V gel cell, last a long time. Usually under $20.00

Walt Barney

Thanks
The best field boxes I've seen are made by Joe Scarpino- I do not own one but envy those that do-may be too large for your starter table, but will go 12/24 V & have room for a gallon jug, starter and more. On the smaller starter tables Most use a very small field box- I have a Gizmo Hobbies w/ 2 12 v gel cells and tower hobbies power panel. You may eventually want bigger boats and the 24 V will be needed.

Glenn

welp, i found some 12v gel cells w/charger for around $30, and gosh darn it, no dimensions.

I really want to use up the plywood out in the garage. already have a box modeled up(very simple(no gersner by all means))

beer and saws are ready.

welp, i found some 12v gel cells w/charger for around $30, and gosh darn it, no dimensions.

I really want to use up the plywood out in the garage. already have a box modeled up(very simple(no gersner by all means))

beer and saws are ready.
Peter,

Try to get a 12V 7ah battery if possible

Walt Barney

Batteries plus has a great 12n 7amp for about 30... I think it's the 'Worker' brand... I've had great luck using it for a year.

Thanks
The best field boxes I've seen are made by Joe Scarpino- I do not own one but envy those that do-may be too large for your starter table, but will go 12/24 V & have room for a gallon jug, starter and more. On the smaller starter tables Most use a very small field box- I have a Gizmo Hobbies w/ 2 12 v gel cells and tower hobbies power panel. You may eventually want bigger boats and the 24 V will be needed.

Glenn
Joe,

also makes a smaller compact version that I use. www.jrsinnovations.com

Robert

I just went through a similar process earlier this season. I had separate bits and pieces in a box that I used to carry what I needed to the pond with the boat on top but when I added a 2nd and then a 3rd Nitro boat to the mix, I decided to pull together a proper field box.

I found this prebuilt field box from Hobbico for something like $40. I already had the smaller 4.5 amph field battery (if you are buying new get the 7.5 amph one, it will go longer between charges and will have a bit more torque for very little more money). I bought an AccuGlow power panel and a Top Fueller fuel pump. You have to enlarge the power panel hole with a Dremel or similar tool and I mounted the fuel pump just above the fuel bottle. I have the wires run along the handle and into the power panel so it is hooked up to the fueling switch in the power panel. I wrapped the handle in a piece of that pipe insulating foam (the grey stuff) which makes for a comfortable grip and a finished look. I didn't mount the fuselage holding yokes on the top of the field box. I did add a small piece of pipe to the inside of one of the corners to hold my glow driver upright. It's easy to grab and use this way and I always have a wired backup glow driver from the panel, if I need it.

There's enough room in the open top container for my starter, WD40 can, small fuel tank with transmission fluid, syringe filled with oil and a rag. The drawer is great for holding wrenches, glow plugs etc. The panel will tell you when to recharge the main battery and charging is easy if you use a set of banna plug tipped wires to connect the 12V starter jacks to a battery charger that can handle the lead/calcium battery (my Triton2 EQ works great for this). If you use a nicad glow driver, you can use the panel to recharge it between runs.

I really like the setup.

hcap5026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info guys.

12v gel has been ordered today.

the box i modeled up has room for 2 batteries.

ordered one(shipping was under $1 for 2nd) when i need it i'll get another

i went to www.jrsinnovations.com and did not see any links/info on his boxes. Maybe he makes these for his elite friends?

thanks again

Back