Favorite 80's-90's song/video

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A proper return and a bump for a great old thread..........

Enjoy
default_cool.png

Favorite 80's song I had two, one was Parliament Funkadelic "flashlight" the other was the Police "Roxanne" great songs that are still good to hear even today.

Just watched the bootleg sound checks for the Kimmel show.... Eddie sounds awesome.. Dave cut his nose open during the intro to the show....
So that's why he had the bandage on his nose. They cut away after he brought the girl on stage. Be here 20 min from house at PNC in Aug. Too old to deal with that freak show crowd.
default_rolleyes.gif

saw Van Halen last weekend at the best venue in the world "The Hollywood Bowl"! They were killer! My first time seeing them...........
AWESOME! I listen to Eddie Trunk's show on XM (It's on the Hair Nation Channel Monday, 1700 Central). He was out West last weekend doing some stuff and he said he missed this show. There has been a lot of talk about Van Halen lately...Eddie touched on it, as he knows all of the guys well.

Eddie was talking about how some folks say that the band is great, DLR vocals are horrible, some say DLR is great, band is horrible...etc. Eddie said that he didn't make the show, but he talked a good bit about perception. What did you think about the show, honestly?

-Joey

Last edited by a moderator:
saw Van Halen last weekend at the best venue in the world "The Hollywood Bowl"! They were killer! My first time seeing them...........
Eddie was talking about how some folks say that the band is great, DLR vocals are horrible, some say DLR is great, band is horrible...etc. Eddie said that he didn't make the show, but he talked a good bit about perception. What did you think about the show, honestly?
Not having ever seen Van Halen before I did'nt have super high expectations, especially for David Lee Roth's vocal potential (being many rock singers lose their range over time, or even worse). I heard that Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing prowess was the thing worth seeing in person. However I was pleasantly surprised. This quartet, especially the Van Halen rhythm section trio (featuring brother Alex Van Halen on drums; Eddie Van Halen on guitar; son Wolfgang Van Halen on bass) were thunderous and dynamic. Man, they "lit" the Hollywood Bowl "up"! 20,000 roaring fan's. They have obviously been playing as a unit for many years, and are very much connected by a family "umbillical cord" in their musicality. I was totally blown away with Eddie's ability to simultaneously play various mode's, or layers, on top of each other. Melodic. It sounded like two guitars most of the time. When you think about it the guitar role is their only source of melody and chorus in this band. And Eddie can just effortlessly fly through these numbers in his sleep.

David Lee Roth (DLR) was very amusing to watch perform his antics on stage. He would manuever back-and-forth, alternating from the front of the stage to the rear, changing outfits (shirts, jackets, hats, accessories, etc.,...), constantly, in a very "fabulous" manner. I was cracking-up. He would dance around and carry out his patented "slide" on a custom stage platform. He stepped through all Van Halen's material with command. In between telling many stories and details about their past experiences. At one point, later in the show during a song, DLR stood next to Eddie and joked: "every-so-often we talk on the phone and apologize to each other, and then agree to go on tour." Eddie laugh's along with the crowd cheering. DLR added: "I've been lucky, this is the best job I ever had". He's a talented dude.

One of the coolest segments (for me) was when David Lee Roth verbally acknowledged to the crowd the various public schools they (himself, Eddie and Alex) attended growing-up in the Pasadena area (Pasadena Unified School District), including- Altadena Elementary, John Marshall Junior High, Elliot Junior High, Pasadena High and John Muir High School (I attended three of these schools myself growing up in the same community). DLR added he would'nt have changed anything either, that it's made him who he is. The local L.A. crowd cheered. Pasadena is a great community to come up in.

It's well known that David Lee Roth lived in a famous mansion hidden away in the heart of a very affluent section of old Pasadena. Just a hop-skip from the center of town, and around the corner from the famous Tournament Of Roses Parade route off of Orange Grove blvd. His father was a well-known, successful, Optometrist. Despite Dave's surroundings he attended the local public schools (instead of the many very distinguished well-known local private schools). Over the years (1980's and 1990's especially) it was not un-common to see DLR at local restaurants, eating, hangin-out. He's very relaxed and will acknowledge you before you acknowledge him. Just a normal cool guy.

There is a new book on Van Halen just released:

http://vanhalenrising.com/

Supposed to be very well done, I'm planning to buy.

Van Halen was especially known for the many Pasadena area back-yard parties they played at during their high-school years. They had a huge local following. They were a few years older than I was so I missed out, but I knew very well of their parties. To be honest, at the time I was'nt really into that music. I never even owned a Van Halen album. I was more into Jazz and R&B. Although I loved Led Zepellin, Stones, and others. But now I have an appreciation for Van Halen's music legacy, and who they were.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having ever seen Van Halen before I did'nt have super high expectations, especially for David Lee Roth's vocal potential (being many rock singers lose their range over time, or even worse). I heard that Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing prowess was the thing worth seeing in person. However I was pleasantly surprised. This quartet, especially the Van Halen rhythm section trio (featuring brother Alex Van Halen on drums; Eddie Van Halen on guitar; son Wolfgang Van Halen on bass) were thunderous and dynamic. Man, they "lit" the Hollywood Bowl "up"! 20,000 roaring fan's. They have obviously been playing as a unit for many years, and are very much connected by a family "umbillical cord" in their musicality. I was totally blown away with Eddie's ability to simultaneously play various mode's, or layers, on top of each other. Melodic. It sounded like two guitars most of the time. When you think about it the guitar role is their only source of melody and chorus in this band. And Eddie can just effortlessly fly through these numbers in his sleep.

David Lee Roth (DLR) was very amusing to watch perform his antics on stage. He would manuever back-and-forth, alternating from the front of the stage to the rear, changing outfits (shirts, jackets, hats, accessories, etc.,...), constantly, in a very "fabulous" manner. I was cracking-up. He would dance around and carry out his patented "slide" on a custom stage platform. He stepped through all Van Halen's material with command. In between telling many stories and details about their past experiences. At one point, later in the show during a song, DLR stood next to Eddie and joked: "every-so-often we talk on the phone and apologize to each other, and then agree to go on tour." Eddie laugh's along with the crowd cheering. DLR added: "I've been lucky, this is the best job I ever had". He's a talented dude.

One of the coolest segments (for me) was when David Lee Roth verbally acknowledged to the crowd the various public schools they (himself, Eddie and Alex) attended growing-up in the Pasadena area (Pasadena Unified School District), including- Altadena Elementary, John Marshall Junior High, Elliot Junior High, Pasadena High and John Muir High School (I attended three of these schools myself growing up in the same community). DLR added he would'nt have changed anything either, that it's made him who he is. The local L.A. crowd cheered. Pasadena is a great community to come up in.

It's well known that David Lee Roth lived in a famous mansion hidden away in the heart of a very affluent section of old Pasadena. Just a hop-skip from the center of town, and around the corner from the famous Tournament Of Roses Parade route off of Orange Grove blvd. His father was a well-known, successful, Optometrist. Despite Dave's surroundings he attended the local public schools (instead of the many very distinguished well-known local private schools). Over the years (1980's and 1990's especially) it was not un-common to see DLR at local restaurants, eating, hangin-out. He's very relaxed and will acknowledge you before you acknowledge him. Just a normal cool guy.

Van Halen was especially known for the many Pasadena area back-yard parties they played at during their high-school years. They had a huge local following. They were a few years older than I was so I missed out, but I knew very well of their parties. To be honest, at the time I was'nt really into that music. I never even owned a Van Halen album. I was more into Jazz and R&B. Although I loved Led Zepellin, Stones, and others. But now I have an appreciation for Van Halen's music legacy, and who they were.
Sounds like your hot for teacher.
default_biggrin.png

Sounds like your hot for teacher.
default_biggrin.png
yeah, Alex kills on double-bass drum pedal on that song...........

Back