Eric's New Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Perez

Just a teaser shot of my new project. This is a WOF ( Wood Over Foam) Electric Rigger. This will be my test bed for a Mega Brushless AC16/15/3 and 8 AA IC3 batteries from Rayovak. These are probably some of the best "over the Walmart counter" batteries available. These cells are supposed to handle higher-currents than the old AA Nimh batteries. The bateries are suppost to charge in 15 minutes and provide 2000 mAh of capacity.

I do have some 700AR and 600AE packs for backup...

The boat is slightly "over sized" for a speed 400 style power source but the extra light WOF construction should make it a non-issue and help support the heavier AA cells.

Okay I'm ready for the close-up.

Boat officially gets wet tomorrow...

More news

Got some discharge curves done on the new Rayovk AA NiMH 2000 IC^3 cells and they are good -for the price ($3 each). The batteries held a 10A discharge for 4 minutes and good voltage. I set my threshold at 7.9V for the 8-cell pack. 10A is ball-park for speed 400 and similar equiped "micro" boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah those ic3's are pretty cool.. i run them in my micros.. nice work eric

Killer-Volt WOF Micro Rigger

Design: Perez Boat Concepts

RTR Weight: w/ 8-1000 NiMH pack 22.5 oz (1.4 lb)

w/ 8-2000 NiMH IC^3 (1.6lb)

ESC: Jeti JES 30-3P (Gold Label) (Waterproofed)

Motor: MEGA AC-N-16/15/13 (Water Cooled)

Batt: 8-1000 NiMH High-Discharge

Receiver: Futaba FP-R112JE (Waterproofed w/o case)

Rudder Servo: Hi-Tech HS-81

Prop: 1732 best perfomance, X427 sport running

Hardware: Scratch

Boat Length: 21.25"

Dist Between Spoons: 11"

Tub Length: 19"

Tub Width: 3.75"

Ride Pad: 1.5"

Spoon AOA 7-deg

Dihedral Left Spoon: 3.5-deg

Dihedral Right Spoon: 1.5-deg

Ran the boat yesterday at the pond. Water was not as rough as it was on Friday ( Still ran very well).

I raised the 1732 prop a bit and the boat seemed to like it. I was even carving up the conrners good and the boat accelerates very well! The boat self launches with an X427 or the 1732, I tend to hand launch the boat cause it's easier on the batteries

This design is a keeper!

The hub on the 1732 prop is clearly out of the water and the motor and esc don't seem to mind the extra amp draw. The batteries on the other hand get a good work out. Not to the point of no-return - The HECELL 1000 Pack is surviving a full run -last a little less than 3 minutes. Still haven't timed it with a stop watch yet. I think that I'm pulling at least 10A. Corner speed is good and the prop does not cavitate.

Also tried the slightly heavier 8-cell AA pack of Rayovak 2000 IC^3, The batteries also worked well, keep in mind these things will hold 10A for over 4 minutes at voltages above 7.9V . For an over the counter consumer battery this is just incredible! You can have an enduro Micro race with batteries like these.

The boat ran well with the X427 but the tail seemed a little low for my taste. I am sure that I can make the boat work with an X-Series (non lifting) prop but it would require a significant amount of down-thrust. I never designed rear-spoons for the boat, but it may be worth a try to keep the speeds up in the corners.

?Question?

Is there an Octura lifting prop that is smaller than the 1732? No need to re-invent the wheel if a prop is readily available.

R&D Notes:

Right Spoons needs a modified anti-trip feature built-in, did an emergency left turn and the right spoon went under... Boat self launches so this is really not a deal breaker. I wonder if changing the right spoon dihedral to 3.5 will do the trick?

Single rear spoon may be the money ticket for very rough water and a non-lift style prop. Got some novell ideas to get this done...

This was my first 100 % flat spoon design (Flat does not mean no dihedral) the results where a lot better than what I expected. The boat launches with incredible ease -Don't even need to launch it for that matter. You can just place it in the water and pull the trigger! I will be incorporating the lessons learned into my Nitro Trident A-Hydro Rigger...

A friend of mine has some DVD footage of the Micro Killer Volt from last Friday. I'll see him this Tuesday, I hope to be able to post something latter in the week.

My wife took a couple of pictures of the boat in action, but the contrast was just not there. Not much can be learned from the pics other than the boat is in full plane. I've attached one to this post.

Got some video of the boat running this weekend, will post tonight after I encode it. I will need some one to host the video -hopefully Mike P will help out by putting on his server.

If anyone one else is capable of hosting video let me know.

Thanks

Eric Perez said:
Got some video of the boat running this weekend, will post tonight after I encode it. I will need some one to host the video -hopefully Mike P will help out by putting on his server.
If anyone one else is capable of hosting video let me know.

Thanks
www.RcFlix.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to RcFlix.com now the Killer-Volt WOF Micro Rigger can be experienced by others.

Here is the link for the video

http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/data/2/261...er_Volt_12A.mpg

I think you need to register at RcFlix.com to be able to view the mpg

The video is pieced together from a couple of runs at a local pond in Denton TX. I have not been very supportive of brushless power before but with the right electronics (read waterproof) and an oversized ESC (read 2X the motor amps). My little MEGA 16/15/3 is capable of pulling 30A and I'm only pushing 12-15A this with a speed 400 sized motor. The next step up in brushless power is the MEGA 16/22/3 can sink almost 300W this should be killer on regular sub-c cells.

I will have an article on how to "waterproof" inexpensive airplane ESC (Jeti Style) for fast electric boat use. I will also convert the ESC to water-cooled -but this is for my next project... Also working on a direct water-contact brushless motor cooler to get the motor to pull 30A all the time...

Back