Engine Guru's I need help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom galdys

Can anyone tell me what I did to get my OPS 67 to get a double click with alot of resistance at top dead center. New piston and sleeve and bearings same rod. With the head off the sleeve raises almost 3/16 inch. Does this just need to be broken in or did I screw up? Thanks

Can anyone tell me what I did to get my OPS 67 to get a double click with alot of resistance at top dead center. New piston and sleeve and bearings same rod. With the head off the sleeve raises almost 3/16 inch. Does this just need to be broken in or did I screw up? Thanks
I am no engine guru but I bet the double click you are feeling is the slop in the con-rod. When you have a tight P/S, the slop in the big end allows it to go a couple of degrees on either side at TDC.

Kez

Almost all engines made today use a tapered sleeve. What happens is that it will be tight at the top until the engine builds heat in the combustion area then will expand and loosen up just a tad. With the head on and you're getting the clicking, check your head clearance.

The last marine engine that I knew of that didn't have a tapered sleeve was the Kalistratov.

Almost all engines made today use a tapered sleeve. What happens is that it will be tight at the top until the engine builds heat in the combustion area then will expand and loosen up just a tad. With the head on and you're getting the clicking, check your head clearance.

The last marine engine that I knew of that didn't have a tapered sleeve was the Kalistratov.
I have the clearance in the head, there is one shim. So this is normal?

You need to measure the head to make sure it does not hit the top of the piston ,a double click is normal in most all engines today,be sure to break in the new piston and liner slow no high RPM's for at least the 3 tanks of fuel and if it is still very tight run a couple more tanks, Slow..

Walt Barney

Last edited by a moderator:

You need to measure the head to make sure it does not hit the top of the piston ,a double click is normal in most all engines today,be sure to break in the new piston and liner slow no high RPM's for at least the 3 tanks of fuel and if it is still very tight run a couple more tanks, Slow..

Walt Barney

i think it is play in the rod and that is normal when the motor is real tight. Break it in and keep an eye on it

Tom... engine guru i'm not.... you didnt say if the motor had a bushed rod or needles.... Bushed, on a rebuild I always check the crankpin dia/versus bushing dia, if runout is over or at .004, I'll get a new rod..... the click you have is from the piston being sticky at TDC, as ron stated, as it rocks over on the stroke, but the play in the rod is showing itself too.... Needles.... is the count all there, are they discolored, galled or in great shape?... while the wristpin is an often neglected factor in most assemblies, I always use a new one in a piston/sleeve replacement.... top rod end runout comes in here too......

Just me, but it's tough enough for me to assemble/reassemble the little motors proficiently, and I like the peace of mind that my investment in a new piston/sleeve, bearings, and etc will warrant a happy engine.... ( assuming the thing survived to even being rebuilt)...

Like Ron and Walt said, break it in SLOW, and rich..... a question of which i've struggled with for years being.... youre trying to build heat and conversely expand the liner for todays wedge style sleeves, yet, we throw them in the water and lose what we're trying to gain.... a situation IMO, that is so hard on the bottom end of the rod, new or not, that, while running no water, a hair dryer, and a bench run for a few tanks with an airplane prop ( load)... is something i can do to ease the pain....... then i'll use a small range propellor, after that slow boat or not, and cross my fingers for a few tanks.......

clicks and tight motors make me nervous..... its a fine line, and the mangled parts i used to keep on the workbench shelf to remind myself of past stupidity, i do what i can to keep it as small as I can..... good luck mike

The K motors do have tapered sleeves, they are just tapered less than the others.

My brand new OS RG-M 21 had the exact same thing. I installed it in my Dumas SK Daddle and put the electric starter to it and it seems to run just fine. I'm still in the break-in phase but I don't think that there is anything wrong with those "clicks" that you're getting.

its normal... run it... although larson has a good point on the rod... bushed or bearing?? if its bushed its normal...

alden

Thanks for all the input, It is a bushed rod and great fit to crank, wrist pin is new. It must be just a tight fit at top dead center. Would love to try needle bearings as I have the rods(7). This engine hasnt been run yet but you may think me crazy but I break them in using 20% nitro,slobbering rich and disconnect my cooling. This really heats them up and I've never ruined a P/S and my rod and crank always seem to be the better for it. They seem to break in after 1 tank and are hearty tough little buggers afterwards.

Back