Electric Boat Newbie

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardawg252002

this is my first post on this forum so please be kind.

i just recently purchased an electric RTR boat online. i love it. i used to race and build RC cars when i was a kid and i am getting back into RC. not looking for uber serious racing or anything, but i am kind of a performance freak. i really like tweaking and building my stuff.

so.... here it comes. i am looking for some ideas on how to mod this boat a bit. i am going to try and post some pics here soon, so you can see what i am talking about. but, basically, its a dual outdrive system that steers by cutting one motor or the other. i put some ni-mh batteries in it and that did wonders (7.2V, 4200mah). runs about 25 mins at full speed and another 10-15 mins at half speed before it dies. i am very happy with that.

what i am interested in doing is putting some better motors and a new ESC into it. problem is, there is NOBODY IN DENVER THAT DOES ANYTHING with electric boats. i went to numerous shops around town and they all looked at me like i was crazy. seriously.

so, i am wondering if anyone has any ideas on an ESC that can run two motors in this fashion and/or some possible motors. i think it has 380 motors in it now, but they are pretty generic looking and i cant tell until i take it all apart. thank you for any help or suggestions people may have.

Ad for my boat on hobbytron

Hello,

You could certainly put a couple of hotter motors in the boat but it would end up costing you more than the boat did. I would need to know the size of the motors armature before I could recomend a motor. As far as a speed control goes I have them in stock, they are 70.00. Personally I would just enjoy the boat for what it is or possibly try a 7 cell battery pack to wake it up a bit more. ;)

Paul.

Hello,
You could certainly put a couple of hotter motors in the boat but it would end up costing you more than the boat did. I would need to know the size of the motors armature before I could recomend a motor. As far as a speed control goes I have them in stock, they are 70.00. Personally I would just enjoy the boat for what it is or possibly try a 7 cell battery pack to wake it up a bit more. ;)

Paul.
paul,

thanks for the help. i paid about $60 for the boat knowing i wanted to put some more money into it. i was basically buying the hull as a starter kit and knew i would put some more cash into it. no bid deal. i looked at a few motors that were around $20 to $30 a piece (500 motors). is that about what you are talking about? or more? i know brushless is the way to go, is the esc you are talking about for brushless or brushed motors?

sorry for the dumb question, but what is motor armature? motor diameter basically? i can check on that for ya.

i know most people would just say buy a better boat, but i like the design and function. and, i like playing around and modifying stuff to see what i can do.

Beardwag we have had several customers convert these boats. Its a huge undertaking.

Basically because of the so called vector steering, everything needs replacing.

New motors, mounts, drive shafts, remote control system and new rudder.

If you ask me its really now worth it, you could buy a supervee for the cost of the

parts alone in some cases. But some people like the challenge.

Steven

OffshoreElectrics

Beardwag we have had several customers convert these boats. Its a huge undertaking.
Basically because of the so called vector steering, everything needs replacing.

New motors, mounts, drive shafts, remote control system and new rudder.

If you ask me its really now worth it, you could buy a supervee for the cost of the

parts alone in some cases. But some people like the challenge.

Steven

OffshoreElectrics
thanks Steven. i understand that it is a large overhaul and i do like the challenge. i enjoy modifying and tinkering. i know what you mean about the vector steering causing the problem. that is what i am trying to figure out.

i think i may start with trying to find some upgraded motors, then i dont have to worry about the esc and steering stuff right now. it steers very well and turns pretty tight, so i can mess with that later. and i believe the esc thats in there could handle bigger motors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back