Dumas 1/8 Miller American

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krusty 181

Hi all , i am about to start building a Dumas Miller American , apart from replacing any suspect wood , is there any other suggestions for a better build from some of you that may have built one before??

thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

It's been a few years since I have see the Miller American kit, but if memory serves me correct when I built mine some 15 plus years ago I drilled lightening holes in all of the big formers to help reduce the weight slightly, and I re-cut the Sponson transon & boat transom from 1/4" aircraft grade plywood for extra strength. I beleive the boat came out at about 15 1/2 lbs ( about 7 kgs ) ready to run. Good luck on the build, if it turns out as nice looking as the Atlas you built you will have a really super looking 1/8th Scale Miller American.

B)

some of the wood that is too heavy should be replaced with lighter wood, or drilled out. Also, it is very important to make the inside of the sponsons water proof. Even when you seal the boat up water will manage to get inside and splash around. If you don't have away to get it out it'll rot the wood.

some of the wood that is too heavy should be replaced with lighter wood, or drilled out. Also, it is very important to make the inside of the sponsons water proof. Even when you seal the boat up water will manage to get inside and splash around. If you don't have away to get it out it'll rot the wood.
for sure Rodney , i always seal the insides and top of the sponson before the sponson top goes on ,same for the rest of the hull

Don , thanks for the suggestion about the Atlas , i wondered but wasnt sure , ill stick with the Miller as i have a Atlas kit as well , and as other guys have suggested once i have a bit of experience with 1/8 kits ill be searching the Newton plans :)

also do you guys chuck away the water decals and get someone to make them out of vinyl? the sport 40 i did came out great .. except for the old water decals , they really did ruin the finish of the boat

Don or Bill, do you know what year boat this kit is for ? (84???)

im sure i saw someone posting on here who has a website for scale decal kits.. just can remember :(

Please Please do yourself a favor and do not use the built in radio box. Make something that goes in that space and is removeable. You will have leaks if you don't.

Brian

PS it is 1985

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip Brian ,will look at other boxes

in regards to the decals .. upon closer inspection (actually get them out) the decals with this kit are mylar decals , i dont know how old they are , but are they ok to use or am i better of with new vinyl ones?

anyone use the mylar decals???

thanks

Andrew

Latest posts

Back