Does Anyone Know The Name Of

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin Rat Sass

(and don't tell me its the paint used on the "Spirit Of St.Louis")
moonlight.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it's called "Machine Turning" among other names. The Machinists in here must still be sleeping.

That's called jeweling. It can be done with a round abrasive stick in a drill press. You get the best effect if you overlap each circle about 50% onto the next one.

Mike

The poor man can get the same result by chucking a pencil into a drill press and using the eraser to rub the jewel into the metal.

The poor man can get the same result by chucking a pencil into a drill press and using the eraser to rub the jewel into the metal.

without a cross-slide to get the spacing uniform the results are ,what's it called? ...Oh yea,bad.

Engine Turning, Jeweling, etc.

(the following was contributed by Ron Bean, [email protected])

There are two questions here: how to do it, and what to call it. The latter can generate a lot of discussion that may not be relevant to the original question, but may be interesting anyway.

The pattern on the Spirit of St. Louis was made with an abrasive on the end of a rod or dowel, using a drill press and some kind of step-and-repeat fixture. The size of the dowel and the amount of overlap are determined experimentally, and it may take some practice to get it right (try it on a piece of scrap first). This pattern was popular in the 1920s and '30s for instrument panels and firewalls on luxury sports cars, and occasionally body panels or other parts. It may also be seen on some bank vault doors and old safes.

Many people call this process "engine turning", including most antique car enthusiasts. But if you ask a machinist about "engine turning" they may tell you about a completely different process (or not, depending on their background -- this can cause some controversy). Purists know the abrasive dowel pattern as "jeweling".

Engine turning is done with a machine called a "rose engine" or "decoration lathe", which cuts grooves in geometric patterns similar to the old "Spirograph" toy. It was used to decorate the cases of pocket watches and other small items, and also to engrave printing plates for stock and bond certificates. It was developed in the 18th century and died out around WWI. There is also a "straight line" engine turning machine which makes similar patterns, but resembles a shaper rather than a lathe.

Many people now think that "engine turning" just means a decorative pattern on metal, but purists try to discourage this usage. (A web search for "engine turning" found a lot of old pocket watches for sale, but very few photographs).

Other related terms:

Spotting: Similar to jeweling but done with a hollow tube.

Snailing: "A series of radial curved lines around a circle, produced with the edge of the rim of a flywheel shaped polisher."

Guilloche: Engine turning with enameling over it, as on the Faberge eggs. For some comments on Faberge's methods, see http://unitedartworks.com under "Techniques of Jewelry".

Ornamental turning: Any kind of decorative work done on a specially equipped lathe. These days it seems to be mostly associated with woodworking, but in the 19th century it was popular with the British aristocracy, who used ivory. For more information see: http://www.tooltimer.com http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeharr/history.htm http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eamonn/et/et.htm

Ok.thanks

Now I can check that off my list of things that I know I dont know.

(The things that I don't know,I dont know, is a bigger list)

moonlight.jpeg

It's not for everybody(neither,niether,not oar, are 60s' style flatbottoms)but I like it.

HILBILYMILL.jpg

because nobody told me I couldn't,(don't start now) I'm milling my own parts on equipment that cost under $100 new.using dremmel bits and small router bits in a drill press and a cross-slide.

Back