Do K&B OB lower units need grease?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. FastBoat

Do K&B OB lower units need grease?

Hello All. I read the instructions for my K&B 7.5 and they never said a thing about greaseing the lower unit. They said that the bearings were lubricated by water. Should the lower unit be greased and if so, what kind of grease should be used? how often should it be greased?

Re:Do K&B OB lower units need grease?

Mr. F.B.

Yes, the flex shaft should be greased. There's all kinds of opinions of what is "The Best" type of grease/lubrication. Over the past 25 years, I've used a variety of substances to lube flex cables. I'm currently using an automotive type grease in a "point" grease gun that fits into the lube hole on the top of the lower unit.

Just my opinion, but I think more important that "what type" of grease is it that "you do" grease the flex cable. I like to give my cable a shot between runs.

Jerry D.

I grease mine everytime i run it.if you want it to last ,were talking about the drive cable. take your lower unit apart and drill a small hole in line with the cable and inner liner, i drilled minewright below the k&b emblem of the lower unit between the two lower screws make sure your inline with the cable .then go to your local hardware and get a needle point tip for your grease gun.there is a small hole on one side of your lower unit were the power head meats the lower unit ,plug this off.When you grease your lower unit grease will come out of the holes were your prop shaft is and grease will flow to the bearing in the power head. Hope this helps anyway this is what i do, maybe someone has a better idea.

GREASE, GREASE and MORE GREASE.

You should do it after every run (tank full) But you HAVE to grease it up about everyother run or so.

beleive it or not, the grease is pretty much GONE after a couple of runs.

There is a bunch of things people put tougher.

I use grease/antiseize/ or silicone grease (thick stuff) and alittle antiseize. been working pretty good for me.

Back