Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

I saw this at our apt complex yesterday,

I cant be for sure, but -

Im thinking Sr. rolled over in his grave .
blink.gif

wufbcx.jpg

and bristol, ray ;) . i was at that race, really didn't look like that bad a hit. the tumble he took coming out of turn 2 a few years earlier looked much worse, that happened right in front of me. you shoulda heard the crowd when he pulled the track worker out & got back in to drive it to the pits.... i'm not sure that richard petty had the fan base that sr. had/still has. for me, that's saying A LOT!! there is no doubt that sr. could drive the wheels of a really bad handling car, one of the very few that could "flat track" daytona when he had to. i saw that in person more than once. he wasn't my favorite driver, but i respected his ability/talent more than any other.

Last edited by a moderator:
and bristol, ray ;) . i was at that race, really didn't look like that bad a hit. the tumble he took coming out of turn 2 a few years earlier looked much worse, that happened right in front of me. you shoulda heard the crowd when he pulled the track worker out & got back in to drive it to the pits.... i'm not sure that richard petty had the fan base that sr. had/still has. for me, that's saying A LOT!! there is no doubt that sr. could drive the wheels of a really bad handling car, one of the very few that could "flat track" daytona when he had to. i saw that in person more than once. he wasn't my favorite driver, but i respected his ability/talent more than any other.
Lets not forget Watkins Glenn after the broken Sternum and Collar bone at Talledega the week before. They strapped the belts on him -

and I hurt !!!!
blink.gif

Put it on the Pole and ignored Childress when he called him in to change drivers after the first caution.

Led the most laps and finished top five- shoulda won it.
cool.gif

SR Was

THE MAN
wink.gif

that race at watkins glen showed the determination & awareness he had. in a interview a few years later, he admitted that driving that race cost him more than a few months on his recovery. but, he also said that it put him in the minds of every other driver as to how BAAAAD he was B) . he knew how to play the entire game on & off the track, both in ability & head games..... same reason he wore an open face helmet, he wanted other drivers to see his face when he looked over at them.

that race at watkins glen showed the determination & awareness he had. in a interview a few years later, he admitted that driving that race cost him more than a few months on his recovery. but, he also said that it put him in the minds of every other driver as to how BAAAAD he was B) . he knew how to play the entire game on & off the track, both in ability & head games..... same reason he wore an open face helmet, he wanted other drivers to see his face when he looked over at them.
I wont ever forget the post race interview-

He said " the driver cost em the race today , I ran out of gas"
ph34r.gif

Can you even FATHOM the pain of a broken Collar bone AND Sternum strapped down in a 7 pt harness -

ON A ROAD COARSE
ohmy.gif

Somewhere I have that on VHS from the ESPN broadcast.

Never admitted how bad he was hurt until that interview a few years later.

I never met him, but the day he died, I lost a hero.

Andy

btw drew, on my first trip down to c-town for the wtc the first thing i saw when i got off the interstate was a brown crown vic on 20's with an 88 on the door :lol: :lol: . i knew i was back in the deep south.........

interesting tidbit on sr. - being a huge richard petty & mopar fan, i have known for some time that dale's first paying job as a race car driver was for the king. he was a development driver on the mopar kit car program back in the late 70's & early 80's. not racing them, but putting in countless test laps in, working on setups & equipment in aspens & volares!!!!! richard petty is who told richard childress that he should hire dale.

Latest posts

Back