Could this be the 8710 hull???? Check out this ebay auction for a full size hydroplane

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
OK, so I have a special interest in the 8710 hull, as when I rebuild my fleet, the 89 Winston Eagle 8710 hull will be the first build, in fact I am working on the Extreme kit for it now. After brousing Ebay this morning, I see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Miss-Budweiser-Unlimited-Hydroplane-Offshore-racing-boats-race-boats-drag-boats-/230925848934?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item35c440d166#v4-40

Is it possible after 1995, which is the last recorded year for the 8710 to have a sponsor, that Bernie Little purchased this hull, and what seems to be many changes were made (Unless these changes were made after Winston went away from the hull and someone else in that 6 year window made the transom, non trip, and sponson changes that I see on this bud). It is very obvoiusly the same cowling as the 89 Winston...So...what gives???? This is a very clean boat, and from what the guy is saying, it was built in '87, so the timeline does seem to match!

Comments????!!!!

Phil, The 8700 hull was used in 91-93, then it went to Smokin Joes team, etc from there. The 8710 was built in 87 and it '89 was the conventional deck backup hull to the Lobster. Here is a better set of pics. Mike

89winston.jpg

The 8700 Was the Miller. the 8710 was the Cell One in 1987. The 8910 was the Lobster. Based on information the guy posted about construction details I'd say no it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil, The 8700 hull was used in 91-93, then it went to Smokin Joes team, etc from there. The 8710 was built in 87 and it '89 was the conventional deck backup hull to the Lobster. Here is a better set of pics. Mike
So the 8710 had that smaller scoop with Winston paint. Was it raced like that? I like that lobster style scoop.

There were actually two cowls for that boat. The one pictured and big boxy monster. The smaller one was on it as the white boat and the Da Glo originally. The box came in later.

Careful, Guys. We've been down this road before! Saw this same song & dance a few years ago. Take a good look at the phony turbine tube and the shot of the engine well - not one single bolt hole! This one never saw the water, doesn't have a hull # and likely wouldn't hold together for even one heat of racing. I believe what you are looking at is a purpose-built display boat and nothing more.

Boaters,

This ad has been on www.hydroracer.com for a few months.

It is a display boat only.

Thanks,

Mark

Madison had a boat similar to this and it was just a display boat. I seen this on eBay too. It just looks smaller that a normal hydro. Can't believe there trying to sell it like it was once used.

To find out more about this "boat", you can visit www.vintagehydroplanes.com. Go to the "Parts for sale" section.

The following is a quote in this section from Scott D'Eath, son of former Miss Bud driver Tom D'Eath.

" Both Mike Weber and I were associated with the Bud Team for many years in one form or another. Bernie owned six (6) turbine powered Miss Bud's. They were known as T1 thru T6. History is very well documented in the racing community. Jim Sharkey has an excellent book documenting the life of all of the Unlimiteds.

This hull is none of those six.

T1 - '86 Bud - Jim Lucero built '84 as Lite All Star. Heavily modified in '85 - '86 by Hydroplanes, Inc.

T2 - T6 - ( all built by Hydroplanes, Inc. )

T2 - '87 Bud - sitting in Tukwila, WA. was in Smithsonian, still used as Bud display.

T3 - '89 Bud - In Tukwila, Wa. Campaigned in 2012 and owned by Gregory Racing 88 Degree Men.

T4 - '94 Bud - Bud 2 wing. Destroyed in Detroit 2010 crash. Was campaigned as U37 Peters and May.

Mike ( Weber ) was Team Manager for Formula Boats. They purchased T5 and T6 from Joe Little in 2006.

T5 - '96 Bud - Current back up boat for Team Formula.

T6 - '00 Bud - Current race boat for Team Formula, driven by Jimmy Shane, 2012 Oryx Cup World Champion."

Dick Tyndall

That's good stuff, Dick! Should help everybody interested in those hulls. Thanks!

Okay talked to someone who built this boat. The story goes that when the U-13 team was rebuilding their boat they made a deal with Hydro Inc for a Cockpit and cowling for the remodel hull. In return they gave the old cockpit and cowl former Tubby Subs to Hydro Inc for them to build the display hull. They used Canoes that where left overs from Dave's blow over in Tri Cites. They are carbon but mostly wood now. The center is 3/4 plywood and built scaled down a bit for easier transport. He thought the rudder was from a 60"s BUD that they found laying around the shop. That is the story I got on the hull and he has told this person via an email. I would say this person is trying to sell something they got stuck with at all costs.

The U-13 is the former U-10 (Winston Eagle, Smokin Joes, Close Call, York, ect.) until Dave bought it and made it the 13. That old cockpit and cowl is from the 10. After J Micheal Kelly blew over the 13, it was patched up to finish the season. The decks had to be removed to repair the broken engine stringer and bulkheads. Due to time, flat decks were put back on instead of molded ones. The rear shoes were changed slightly to help it in the turns. Maybe she will see the water again, who knows.

The old cellular one was sold from the owners of Albert Lee and is their current display boat. What's left of the lobster boat is now the U-57.

You hear that Mike Mcknight...the Canoes are from Vilwocks blowover at TriCities..Would that be the '93 blowover...So they are the 8401 sponsons????

Which blowover? He had several. He broke both Circus boats in 93, the T5 in 97. I think the Elam once or twice. The 8401 was still intact until 1998 or 99 I believe.

Back