CMB RS91H ENGINE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, the last time I looked our model boats had neither gear boxes or slipper clutches, so I'm not sure what the comparison is here. I'm not sure what is meant by your second statement concerning the head area, but I think a larger bore would provide more area for port widths, wouldn't it?

Jim :) :) :)

Jim, gears, clutches or no gears, it makes no difference. Mechanical benefits aside, the power output of 4 strokes benefit greatly by bigger bore/shorter stroke for many reasons, bigger valves in the bigger bore being a major factor but on two strokes, a larger bore doesnt do that. Do the calculations and you will see that the longer stroke will give a bigger port area.

If you begin with equal bore/stroke, you have to reduce stroke by 10% if you increase bore by only 5%. With the same duration all your ports will be 5% wider but also 10% lower which means you get approx 5% less area. I'm not going to do the maths but I think you will find that this points towards more time area with long stroke engines for the same duration. This is the reason why, for example, almost all the high performance racing motorcycle two stroke motors have bore stroke ratios of 1:1 or more exactly 1:1.1 . An example of this change in area would be the CMB 90EVO vs the CMB 91 RS. Although both are oversquare engines (which is not good), the RS has the bore reduced by 0.5mm and has a stroke increase of 1mm. Hence the exhaust port width (which is approx is 88% of the bore) has decreased by .34mm but the port height has increased by .65mm. The transfers/boost areas increase in the same proportion.

Dave

Dave, while I agree with you assestment of the numbers, I must ask if you have built & tested motors that are under square, square as well as over square. In the case of oversquare motors the mechanical benefits cannot be overlooked when attempting to achieve very high sustained RPMs (32,000+). I agree that a longer stroke will increase the time area, but that does not necessarily mean greater HP will be generated at higher RPMs. My testing on the dyno shows that smaller depth transfers, wider intake ports, & smaller exhaust widths (67% of the bore) produce more HP at high RPMs, especially in piped engines.

Also with a longer stroke & wider exhaust, a lower taper liner must be used. The mechanical problems of the piston catching or rubbing on the top of the exhaust port cannot be eliminated in this type of setup. This is true even when using oval shapped exhaust tops & cocking the cylinder bore in relation to the crankshaft. Short stroke, large bore motors can use very high taper amounts without problems. I wonder if the continuing problem of chrome comming off aluminum liners in some popular motors is caused by the above??

I have tested these bore sizes with a .902 stroke in piped engines; .956, .975, .990, 1.060, & 1.125. Large time area numbers do little to increase HP if the window geometry is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, while I agree with you assestment of the numbers, I must ask if you have built & tested motors that are under square, square as well as over square. In the case of oversquare motors the mechanical benefits cannot be overlooked when attempting to achieve very high sustained RPMs (32,000+). I agree that a longer stroke will increase the time area, but that does not necessarily mean greater HP will be generated at higher RPMs. My testing on the dyno shows that smaller depth transfers, wider intake ports, & smaller exhaust widths (67% of the bore) produce more HP at high RPMs, especially in piped engines.

Also with a longer stroke & wider exhaust, a lower taper liner must be used. The mechanical problems of the piston catching or rubbing on the top of the exhaust port cannot be eliminated in this type of setup. This is true even when using oval shapped exhaust tops & cocking the cylinder bore in relation to the crankshaft. Short stroke, large bore motors can use very high taper amounts without problems. I wonder if the continuing problem of chrome comming off aluminum liners in some popular motors is caused by the above??

I have tested these bore sizes with a .902 stroke in piped engines; .956, .975, .990, 1.060, & 1.125. Large time area numbers do little to increase HP if the window geometry is bad.

Jim, I enjoy reading your info on materials and methods of construction etc but I don't need to build engines to know a little about them. My point was only to point out the misconception that oversquare in 2 strokes is good which of course it is in four strokes. It's simply not good for the reasons I quoted. I don't know anything about .90 motors running at 32000 rpm but I assume the physics will not be changing from the numbers applied to other rpm bands. Liner tapers are a mystery to me but I have run 25,000 rpm .90s with over 200 degrees of exhaust timing with exhaust widths of 85% of bore diameter without problems of pistons catching in the exhaust ports. Thats on the water racing of course, not on the bench.

Jim, If I ran a .90 with an exhaust port width of 67% of bore diameter then I couldn't make the laptimes of a .45 and so there is no way I would do that. :D :D

Dave

Jim, I enjoy reading your info on materials and methods of construction etc but I don't need to build engines to know a little about them. My point was only to point out the misconception that oversquare in 2 strokes is good which of course it is in four strokes. It's simply not good for the reasons I quoted. I don't know anything about .90 motors running at 32000 rpm but I assume the physics will not be changing from the numbers applied to other rpm bands. Liner tapers are a mystery to me but I have run 25,000 rpm .90s with over 200 degrees of exhaust timing with exhaust widths of 85% of bore diameter without problems of pistons catching in the exhaust ports. Thats on the water racing of course, not on the bench.

Jim, If I ran a .90 with an exhaust port width of 67% of bore diameter then I couldn't make the laptimes of a .45 and so there is no way I would do that. :D :D

Dave
Dave, I think the misconception arises because there are no 2 or 4 cycle ABC or AAC motors used for racing motor cycles or kart engines. I agree the mechanics & the physics are the same, but there are great differences in how to apply these to ringed verses ABC or AAC motors. "Be assured, after many years of testing, ABC & AAC motors are much happier with higher liner taper numbers. These higher taper numbers can only be used successfully in stort stroke motors".

Jim,

This I dont understand. :blink: :huh: How is liner taper related to bore/stroke ratios? Or is it related to absolute stroke lengths? For example a 21 engine, which has a longer stroke than bore, still has a shorter stroke than even your short stroke 90?

What taper numbers would you say is high or low? The most powerful engine I ever used had a relatively low taper ABC liner (compared to CMB etc tapers).

Ian.

Jim,

This I dont understand. :blink: :huh: How is liner taper related to bore/stroke ratios? Or is it related to absolute stroke lengths? For example a 21 engine, which has a longer stroke than bore, still has a shorter stroke than even your short stroke 90?

What taper numbers would you say is high or low? The most powerful engine I ever used had a relatively low taper ABC liner (compared to CMB etc tapers).

Ian.
Ian, the engines stroke is directly related to the taper amount that can be used in a liner. For example, in this short stroke engine we have been talking about, the distance from the top of the exhaust to the top of the stroke is .502 in. The change in the liners diameter from the top of the exhaust to the top of the stroke is .0021492 in or .0010746 in per side from the exhaust to the top of the stroke. The angle per side is approximately 7 minutes. This means the total taper for this 1.635 in long liner is .007 in. This is a high amount, but I have tested higher & lower amounts in both short & long stroke motors.

To insure the accuracy of the tapers tested it was necessary to grind the taper amounts. The amounts used would change by .001 in steps.

Jim,

So the issue here isnt so much the bore/stroke ratio as the the absolute stroke length?

I measured up a few of the liners I have sitting around. The 101 CMB, MAC 67, A100 and A90 liners all have around 0.002" per inch taper, Novarossi 21 the most taper, 0.0037" per inch, K-90 the least, 0.0013" per inch. The 101 CMB has 25.2mm stroke, Mac 67 24mm stroke, A100 26mm stroke, A90HP 24mm stroke, NR21 16.67mm stroke, K-90 26mm stroke. Thus the lowest taper liner also has the greatest stroke. the K-90 has an exhaust port that is 84% of the bore width and the top of the port is flat. What sort of port width would be an issue with the K-90 given its low taper? I have used 90% port width in the 0.002" per inch taper liners without problems.

Ian.

Jim,

So the issue here isnt so much the bore/stroke ratio as the the absolute stroke length?

I measured up a few of the liners I have sitting around. The 101 CMB, MAC 67, A100 and A90 liners all have around 0.002" per inch taper, Novarossi 21 the most taper, 0.0037" per inch, K-90 the least, 0.0013" per inch. The 101 CMB has 25.2mm stroke, Mac 67 24mm stroke, A100 26mm stroke, A90HP 24mm stroke, NR21 16.67mm stroke, K-90 26mm stroke. Thus the lowest taper liner also has the greatest stroke. the K-90 has an exhaust port that is 84% of the bore width and the top of the port is flat. What sort of port width would be an issue with the K-90 given its low taper? I have used 90% port width in the 0.002" per inch taper liners without problems.

Ian.
Yes, to the first part of you observations. As I write this, I'm looking very carefully at the exhaust of a new, stock, never run, 2005 K-90. This engine has a standard drum valve fastened to a ball bearing at the rear. Both the top & the bottom of the exhaust are angled upward about 15 deg. I strongly suggest using even stepper angles (25 to 40 deg in an amount of 35 to 40 % of the total exhaust width) when using timings from 185 deg to 200 deg.

I don't know what exhaust port width is possible in a K-90, but exhaust ports that are to close to main transfers, especially main transfers with bad geometry, will have short circuiting problems. Engines like this can run high compression without plug problems.

I spent the morning at the lake with Jim Schaefer running a pair of the new 91H CMB's in a twin eagle. First time firing the engines. They ran very well. Fat rich and the boat was running a tick under 80 on the stalker. Engines ran very well through a gallon of fuel. A motor mount issue ended the day early.

I can say it is quite a bit of work to "fit" these engines in where two MAC 84's used to be. the carbs are bigger and hit the cowl.

Pipes were AB67 I believe. Props were ABC (surprise) 2616 and 2716..

Good first day for a twin.

I spent the morning at the lake with Jim Schaefer running a pair of the new 91H CMB's in a twin eagle. First time firing the engines. They ran very well. Fat rich and the boat was running a tick under 80 on the stalker. Engines ran very well through a gallon of fuel. A motor mount issue ended the day early.

I can say it is quite a bit of work to "fit" these engines in where two MAC 84's used to be. the carbs are bigger and hit the cowl.

Pipes were AB67 I believe. Props were ABC (surprise) 2616 and 2716..

Good first day for a twin.
Good to hear the new engines run well. How would you compare them to the RS or EVO 91's?

Ian.

Yes, to the first part of you observations. As I write this, I'm looking very carefully at the exhaust of a new, stock, never run, 2005 K-90. This engine has a standard drum valve fastened to a ball bearing at the rear. Both the top & the bottom of the exhaust are angled upward about 15 deg. I strongly suggest using even stepper angles (25 to 40 deg in an amount of 35 to 40 % of the total exhaust width) when using timings from 185 deg to 200 deg.

I don't know what exhaust port width is possible in a K-90, but exhaust ports that are to close to main transfers, especially main transfers with bad geometry, will have short circuiting problems. Engines like this can run high compression without plug problems.

Jim,

I must admit I still cant see why more taper is better for not catching the piston. I created a CAD layout that exaggerates the situation as I see it:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...lbum=241&pos=46

If you click on the pic it is clearer. The yellow circle and lines represent a liner with a port at 88% of the bore width. The red circle is smaller than the yellow circle, representing a piston that is smaller than the liner at the top of the exhaust port, and when "pushed out" the port the interference can be seen. The blue circle represents a piston with even more clearance at the top of the exhaust port (ie a higher liner taper) and it clearly has more intereference. Of course with realistic dimensions of clearance it would be much harder to see, but the trend should still be there, that is with a larger size difference between the piston and the liner at the exhaust port (ie more taper) then the potential for catching the exhaust port would increase?? :blink:

Thank you for your patience in explaining these things! B)

Ian.

Jim,

I must admit I still cant see why more taper is better for not catching the piston. I created a CAD layout that exaggerates the situation as I see it:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...lbum=241&pos=46

If you click on the pic it is clearer. The yellow circle and lines represent a liner with a port at 88% of the bore width. The red circle is smaller than the yellow circle, representing a piston that is smaller than the liner at the top of the exhaust port, and when "pushed out" the port the interference can be seen. The blue circle represents a piston with even more clearance at the top of the exhaust port (ie a higher liner taper) and it clearly has more intereference. Of course with realistic dimensions of clearance it would be much harder to see, but the trend should still be there, that is with a larger size difference between the piston and the liner at the exhaust port (ie more taper) then the potential for catching the exhaust port would increase?? :blink:

Thank you for your patience in explaining these things! B)

Ian.
Ian, draw up a side view showing different taper amounts at the exhaust port with the entire piston skirt showing. A connecting rod with very tight clearances in the top & bottom end will help prevent the piston from cocking as well as a full skirt on the boost port side. I only cut the skirt away where the main transfers are. I posted two pictures.

are you comming down to north pond? i have heard quite a bit about you, read your article in the rcbm years ago when you and richie B were doing the straight away record.

are you comming down to north pond? i have heard quite a bit about you, read your article in the rcbm years ago when you and richie B were doing the straight away record.
Leighton, even though Richie & I ran many straight aways at north pond, I never use this site for testing. We would spend several days before meets cleaning the debris off the lake. Cans, bottles, dead animals, large pieces of wood, etc. entered this lake from the drainpipe system. I do my testing in Peekskill at Ansville Reservoir.

A question for you engine GURU's. I have ran engines on the dyno when, with a good working carburetor,.I could feel the carb, the lower part of the engine case and they would be cool, sometimes very cool. The question is with the top of the engine very hot and the bottom of the engine cool does the sleeve still have any taper in it and how would this relate to the long rod/short stroke/ large bore and to the short rod/smaller bore/long stoke set-ups. Just a simple question from a NEWBIE (thats what International Waters calls me). :blink:

A question for you engine GURU's. I have ran engines on the dyno when, with a good working carburetor,.I could feel the carb, the lower part of the engine case and they would be cool, sometimes very cool. The question is with the top of the engine very hot and the bottom of the engine cool does the sleeve still have any taper in it and how would this relate to the long rod/short stroke/ large bore and to the short rod/smaller bore/long stoke set-ups. Just a simple question from a NEWBIE (thats what International Waters calls me). :blink:
You are absolutly right and not only that but the bore doesn't stay round either. I have done some very interesting tests a while back along those lines. Engines expand differently on different places, go out of round and cases move more than one would expect.

Bill Wisneuiski once showed me an engine that was running under a load on a test stand. He then put a stobe light on it and I could not believe what I saw. The engine was flexing and moving in ways that you thought would be impossible and still run without coming apart. :blink:

Back