CMB 45 question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasoncsc

Guys,

I am a proud owner of a Seaducer 45. I am pondering as to which engine to use. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a CMB 45 Evo 2/2 and a CMB 45 Hydro CAM? Which one would you choose and why?

Locally I found a shop that would sell the Hydro CAM engine for a very good deal (About $60- off list price...), but I have a friend who had a very hard time on the Hydro CAM, and after 3 weeks he gave up....Some friend tell me that with a OS 9B carb on the Hydro CAM it beats the Evo 2/2....

Any help would be appreciated

Jason

The main difference is the Cam is a drum rotor motor. The Evo is a disk rotor. From the little I know, the disk has less "internal drag" so it will RPM higher than a drum. Some of the engine guys can explain what that means much better than me, but that is the main difference.

What Garrett said is correct - the CAM is a drum rotor engine whereas the Evo2/2 is a disc rotor engine.

There are a few things that are advantages to either type. The cam's crankshaft design is less likely to cause problems with runout if revved really hard, But on the other side I have heard that the cams have shocking balance and problems with the drum rotor fouling on the rod needles etc. The stock carb can be a problem too - I suspect an OS 9B would be too big for it though - maybe a smaller bore OS carb would be better.

The Evo2/2 seems to be the performing motor in this part of the world more so than the cam and would be my pick.

I have a CMB 45 Evo II for sale.. $210..

It's not the latest 2/2 version but is brand new, never ran.

Charley

Latest posts

Back