Clear Finish

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCK STAR

Mike

I am currently building one of your boats and was wondering what type of clear coat to use. Man this boat is going to tear it up. I can't believe how light it is. Just finished one of the sponons tonight and was wondering about the optimum overhang on the bottom plywood sould be and can you have to much. One more thing has anyone tried Hobbico, hobbylite filler? I can't seem to get it to work. I wasn't able to find the west silicon fillet Mike recommened.

RS

RS,

I would recommend using West Systems epoxy, available from West Marine, to clear coat the Villain. If there isn't a West Marine outlet near you, I'm sure they have a website.

The only problem is, you end up spending around $50 to get the epoxy and the pumps and if you're only going to do one boat, that's a bit spendy.

Hobby Poxy makes a finishing epoxy resin that would also work.

After sanding the epoxy, I applied Top Flite Ulta Kote Crystal Clear over my Villain hull.

Jerry D.

Rock

Here is what I do.. You can use many types of finishes but this is my favorite.

I brush on 3 coats of auto clearcoat, (you have to use a catalyst with it) scrape and sand, then spray on two full wet coats.

Thats it..

Now its really not that easy but you get the point.. not a big deal.

Have fun

Grim

Back