Cavitation plate on lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I think this has been discussed before but I could not find the old thread, so I will ask again:

Does the stock K&B outboard cavitation plate serve any purpose when running a surface drive set up?

When up on plane, the cavitation plate is way out of the water anyway. I want to experiement removing it in an effort to save some weigh and also to provide clearance to try different props.

I can see the benefit of the cavitation plate in a fully submerged drive such as (in some cases) in a mono/deepvee but I am not sure about the effectiveness on a hydro or tunnel.

Thanks,

Kez

My guess would be its there for a reason, and if it would help performance, The manf. would of left it off.

Now i see your point with props, but i dont think with what ever motor, your not going to beable to OVER PROP IT with the cavitation plate on it.

I could be wrong, most likly i am, But my thoughts on it.

on my 7.5 one of the ends broke off i tryed to fixit but was not sucsesful :- . So i decided to cut them off, if it did make a differance i thought that i could alwase install another one from farther up on the flange. i ran it and there was no differance to me, but i dont race my tunnel only for play. hope this helped ya?

Back