Cavitation plate questions and answers.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

Has anyone experimented with cavitation plate design?

Would something like this translate to RC and would it be beneficial?

Improves performance in any I/O or outboard motor

The Whale Tail XL® extends out behind the prop to utilize prop wash energy which is normally lost. Whale Tail transforms this energy into lift for immediate response when the throttle is applied.

creates positive, skid-free turns. With bow lowered, visibility is improved - and safety. Smooths out ride in rough water. Reduces porpoising & cavitating. Increases top speed and fuel savings in most applications. Mounts on the anti-cavitation plate of all inboard/outboards and outboards. Installs in 15 minutes with stainless steel hardware included. Marine grade aluminum with durable anodized finish Use the Whale Tail XL year-round in freshwater or saltwater to improve performance of any boat!

Is there a rule of thumb on CP placement? Should it be even with the bottom of the hull as a starting point?

DAV-448_lg__06038.1469113246.1280.1280.jpg

Models usually run the prop around half submerged. The standard cavitation plate is well above the surface. The cavitation plate is unimportant in this configuration except during launch. Electric outboard racers often run with no cavitation plate.

Lohring Miller

There are manufacturers claims, and there is the real world. On my full size boat (23' cabin cruiser with a Suzuki 140 hp ob) it runs a bit bow high so I thought hey I'll mount a cavitation plate to flatten out how the hull runs and get better mileage.

Then there is real world, I lost 2 knots throughout the engines rpm range, i.e my mileage dropped by 10%. Needless to say it has been removed.

Models usually run the prop around half submerged. The standard cavitation plate is well above the surface. The cavitation plate is unimportant in this configuration except during launch. Electric outboard racers often run with no cavitation plate.

Lohring Miller
Lohring, I know it's simple enough to try. With nitro powerheads have you tried without the cav plate, i.e., is it still possible to get reliable launches? Would removing the possible spray drag be a potential gain, and I'm talking heat racing not record trials? Curious minds
Wallster

Last edited by a moderator:
Back