canard info

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

I have a fellow boater who has pulled an old fiber glass canard hull out of storage.

He was told that the hull was designed for a 45-90 motor. This is hard to belive. He did put a CMB green head 67 in the boat and launched it this past weekend. He can only get half throttle before the nose lifts off the water. The strut is mounted 3/8" below the flat of the rear shoes. He says he put the CG at the flywheel of the motor with the fuel tank up front. He tried giving the strut a small amount of down angle and the boat did stay on the water better but, would not turn without serious hopping on the rear shoes.

Does the strut need to be lower or higher?

Is there any kind of turn fin used on the right shoe?

I will try to get more info on the hull and pictures tonight.

Sport Hydro,

When I went to the Regatta this year I saw a Canard boat (in person, rather than on picture) for the first time, after taking with the owner he said they were a lot of fun but they were better boats for straight line. If you look at the pic you will see that his is also ridding with the nose up and he said when running at full speed there was not much you can do about it.

He said you need to slow down to bring the nose down to be able to take the curve.

You can try different prop depth to try to minimize the effect, but according to him this is one of the boats handling flaw.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...si&img=1480

Dan.

Thanks,

I am waiting on the pictures and who made the hull. This might help to start with.

Again, anything over 1/2 throttle would lift the nose and also cause it to flip over.

If a canard is set up right they corner like they are on rails. No they don't need a turn fin. You also don't need to set a proper set up canard to corner. The corners is where a good running one like a Fisher that is set up right works great.

If a canard is set up right they corner like they are on rails. No they don't need a turn fin. You also don't need to set a proper set up canard to corner. The corners is where a good running one like a Fisher that is set up right works great.

This is too hard to watch... Thanks for stepping up Eric... let me know if you get stuck...DJ

Sorry for just reporting info I was given directly by the person who has one, maybe he didn't have his Canard setup correctly.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Dan.

you might want to try some different props, find out what dias. the engine will turn, then try different series props,the octura x series will cause more nose lift, try a lift type prop like one suited for hydros, or a 3 blade prop, give mark sholand a jingle,he's on this site all the time,he may be able to give some better suggestions

from

norm j

fmbc

If you can get a picture it would help to Identify the boat you are working on. I ran canards for years ranging from 21-90 size. My 20 boat was the first boat the Eric B. ever drove.

It sounds like the strut is too deep. For a .67 I would start with 1465 prop. If it is a Fisher it really needs the front wings, and they need to be set slightly negative.

hey mark got any pictures of that 20 canard? what size prop did you use? what was the depth of the strut? i got one laying here i might want to get running

norm j

fmbc

i agree with Eric. I have a very old canard with a .67 cmb goldhead. I think its an aeromarine hull. This boat makes so much fun, it runs in the corner like on rails. I had the best results with a x457/2 @25% nitro on this boat.

I currently rebuild it and wanna replace the engine with a K90.

Alex

I don't have any pictures. It was alot of years ago. I used sponsons from Ed Fisher's 40-80 boat and built a wood hull. I built about 5 of them before I really got it right. Old K&B 3.5 that only ran right about every other time out but when I could keep it together it was very quick.

I am still waiting on pictures. These are good replys with good info. The hull is a Fisher but he told me that the person he got it from many years ago modified the shoes and converted it to an outboard setup.

He said he started with a X457/2 blade. I"ll tell him to try a lifting blade. He said he set the strut at 3/8" inch below the shoes when sitting on a flat surface.

I am the current owner of the Miss Wayne.. and selling on ebay..

I also will be selling an Original Ed Fisher Carard. 45/67

Richard

Still no pictures, but did find out that the hhull is a "DAGGER BOAT WORKS STILETTO".

Does anyone have info on this hull?

Still no pictures, but did find out that the hhull is a "DAGGER BOAT WORKS STILETTO".Does anyone have info on this hull?
Larry Maglinger ran one of those with outrageous results. Lane one turned on a dime and won about everything you could win. He added about an inch to the bottom of the front wetted area,and ran a prop with a texas tee cut.In its day it spanked a lot of hydros and was hard to beat. I know where a new 45 size is in the box............Mike

Thanks for the post mike. What size motor did Larry run in his. As I stated, my friend is running a CMB 67 green head. Is this maybe too big a motor for that hull?

Thanks for the post mike. What size motor did Larry run in his. As I stated, my friend is running a CMB 67 green head. Is this maybe too big a motor for that hull?
Nope he ran picco 67s i think he ran a x460 texas tee cut

Latest posts

Back