C clip installation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawdaddy

I am replacing the P/S in my .90 gold head. I got the c clip out but can't get the darn thing back in. What are some tips for the installation of this little inportant part. My bald spot is 1inch bigger in dia after trying for about an hour. Thanks in advance for any help. Ryon Shaw

Put the head and flywheel on the engine first. Then place the clip in the hole orientated to look like a "C". Put the bottom of the "C" into the bottom side of the hole. Use a small round rod or the end of an Allen wrench (about 3/32" size) to hold the clip into position. Place the end of the tool on the left side of the "C". While holding the tool against the side of the clip turn the flywheel to move the piston upward. When the top of the "C" contacts the top of the exhaust port it will begin to compress the clip. Keep tuning and begin putting more pressure on the clip with the tool. Work the tool up toward the top of the "C" as the piston moves upward. Before you know it the clip will be in the hole. Move the piston back down and fully seat the clip into the groove with the tool.

Thanks Andy. Will give it a shot In the morning. How ya been and how is Donna and the rest of the gang? Ryon

2 pieces of kand s brass tubing(there's that 360 again).the inner one should be the same size as the pin bore,and longer than the outer oneuse needle nose pliars to put the clip in the outer tube,then square it up and push it to the end of the tube with the inner one.set in in the bore(oil things up) and smack it lightly with a small hammer.it helps to chamfer the end of the outer tube.quick and easy

Barely clip off a piece of the piston pin clip. Put the clip into a piece of 1/4 Brass tubing 3 inches long with a small taper around the outside. Cut the threads off a 3 1/2 length 1/4 bolt. Put the brass into the piston pin hole thru the exhaust port...... taper first....... and install the bolt and press it in place. You will hear it clip SNAP.. into place. I can put them in faster...... than you can take them out with this method.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same method as Chris Wood,and then use a dental pick to make sure the c clip is seated in the groove.

I also use a dental pick to get the c clip out of the groove.

Harvey

Latest posts

Back