Building materials for R/C

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

So what ya think will be the next wave of super duper stuff ta make things out of?

We got fiberglass, CF " With a couple masters of the craft on this board", G10, canvasboard, aluminum, unobtainium "think Mike Z. has a stash of it for secret projects" And of course the old standby Plywood and spruce.

So whats gonna be the next wave of high tech composites for the R/C world? Your wallet size is the only limit :eek:

Slide 8)

How about an advanced hybrid material made from recycled aluminum cans and plastic milk bottles.

-MikeP

or maybe that goat-silk stuff they're trying to make for the army..[goats that have been genetically modified to produce spider silk in thier milk.....no really, im not joking.]

that would be the end of dents and dings, and modding. [who would want ta hafta use an industrial laser to cut a small groove in thier cowl or something? :) ]

joe

Kevlar...you know, bullet-proof vests and McDonalds straws.

I was in the LHS and saw a gentleman showing off his homemade car chassis. He sandwiched 1/16" balsa sheet between two sheets of carbon fiber--the whole thing was less than 1/8" thick but lighter and stiffer than any 1/8" plywood.

I have seen alot of talk about endgrain balsa core and honeycomb nomex core with carbon fiber. Looks lite and stiff. If you search the web for competition rowing hulls you see alot of the latest composites. I was interested in making my own honeycomb nomex core with carbon fiber, it would be nice to lay it up in the mold instead of using prefab flat sheets. I think the stuff would be good on a .12 size hull.

-MikeP

guess the goat silk stuff isnt much of a hit, huh? ;D

i'll stick to good ol' plywood an' glasscloth for my homemade and fiberglass matting stuff [or whatever it is] for premade hulls.......untill something better/cheaper comes along of course. :)

joe

it's not that i don't like CF..... i just dont have any experience with it.....

hey mike, how much does your 21 weigh? is it really much lighter, stronger than wood????

Tom,

My cf .21 is the same weight as my friends SG .21. Mine is a little bigger. A couple of things I like about CF is I don't worry about the wood soaking up oil and water. I think some spots are stronger but the wood joints are just as good if there done right. CF doesn't squish when you bolt through it. I have a strong hull that will last a long time.

I didn't build my .21 out of CF to gain any advantages. I just like it. I am going to build another this winter.

The first one was quite expensive to build because I needed alot of equipment. But now the new 90 rigger will only cost about 300 for a hull, and about 10,000 hours labor.

Back