buckle up my Deep South brothers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izitbrokeyet?

Was just reading this about the states west of the Appalachian and east of the mighty Mississippi.

Looking at the image, it’s for eastern Tennessee, Western Carolinas, Northern Georgia, and N.E. Alabammy

There is considerable spread in the model forecasts afterlandfall...and it is possible that the remnants of Ivan will move

very slowly or stall near or over the Appalachians in 4 or 5

days...which would produce a very serious flooding event.

Forecaster Franklin
at200409_5day.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

To beat all there is a race in Atlanta this weekend that is still scheduled to be held. We are hoping that it will be rescheduled for a couple of weekends from now. All of us here are entered. If it moved through instead of stalling out then then it is a possibility. Forecast shows stalling which will pound the area. IMPBA as nats are next weekend in Ohio so that has to be avoided as a reschedule date. Next 24-36 hours will tell.

John

That is indeed very large storm but one finds it hard to gauge the size when there are no reference marks on water. Looking at that map, this storm is going to affect a very large part of the U.S. This system could be felt as far noth as Indianapolis, Indiana and Columbus, Ohio. (Good thing Notre Dame is playing in Michigan this weekend). Who knows what will get hit in the east but it's safe to assume that almost the entire eastern seaboard will get rain. For all of you in the zone, break out the rowboats, you may have some temporary lakes outside your back door to run your boats! B)

Sometimes, these storms can be good. <_<

Snowdog

When will it stop. They say there is another one comming after this one!

The current projections bring in about the Mobile area and going north into Alabama and then reading northeast into north GA and southern TN. Not good at all with the stalling which will pound a wide area with much rain and wind.

John, Could you keep us posted on the upcoming Atlanta race? I've emailed AMB corncerning the race and have gotten no response. I'm down here in the Panama City area all boarded up and waiting. We expect it to get pretty "breezy" later today. If it gets radical, I'll take some pics of the neihborhood and post them.

On it's present course "Ivan" will dump a considerable amount of rain and the storm surge will effect the New Orleans area. They expect New Orleans to be under at least 20 feet of water as they are generally are between 8' to 18' below sea level. Hope all of our brothers down there have evacuated. The hurricane will be felt from just to the west of New Orleans, LA as far East as Apalachicola, FL.

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA

Bob,

As of 8 pm EST last night, the race was on. I have e mailed Mike Cliatt this morning asking for a reading today/tonight on the race status. No response yet and do not expect to hear until late tonight at the earliest. Mike will attempt to run the race if at all possible.

John

Hang on down there, brother boaters!

Just talked to brother Chris, who is in Birmingham on business. He elected to leave before all hell breaks loose.

I was in Mobile in July looking at what it's going to take to get 4 DC-10's out of the downtown airport. I'm supposed to go back in a few weeks to "git-r'dun!" Wondering if I'll just be picking up the pieces?!

God bless everyone down there!

They are already canceling schools for Thursday and Friday here in Huntsville. Predicting winds up to 50mph and if the storm stalls rain up to 18" might get our lake filled? :) I am going to go fly a kite.

The flooding is the worst part in the hills and lowland areas, it's all the tornados that will be the killers !!!! And we , the eastern side of the storm will be the worst for tornados !!!

The last one S.C. had 42, and this one is way bigger... It will still be a hurricaine well into the AL,TN, GA, KY, the Carolinas. massive destruction......

GOD BLESS everyone in it's path..... PLEASE !!!!!!!! DO NOT HESITATE TO LEAVE !!!!!!!!!

LIFE IS TOO SHORT AS IT IS............................

Funnel cloud that passed 2-3 miles from the house. Buildings damaged in it's path according to reports.

Good Luck down there! Your Super Markets must be absolutely wiped out of everything from food to batteries....etc.....Fuel is probably a fortune right now as well to make it worse.........GOOD LUCK!

Living in California we get an earthquake once in a while but man you guys have it really bad right now, such a shame. Blow away already :angry:

"Ivan's monster waves - some up to 25 feet - were already destroying homes along the Florida coast Wednesday. Twelve-foot waves boomed ashore at Gulf Shores, Ala., eroding the beach. A buoy about 300 miles south of Panama City registered waves over 34 feet high. "

"Thousands of tourists were believed stranded in New Orleans, along with 100,000 mostly inner-city residents without cars. The mayor advised them to resort to "vertical evacuations," suggesting they take shelter in buildings taller than two stories. If that is not possible, he said, they should go into an attic and take equipment with them that would let allow them to cut through the roof and get out."

This above was in the late edition of the Richmond Times Dispatch, below was in Washington Post......

" NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 14 -- Walter Maestri, an emergency manager here in America's most vulnerable metropolitan area, has 10,000 body bags ready in case a major hurricane ever hits New Orleans. As Hurricane Ivan's expected path shifted uncomfortably close to this low-lying urban soup bowl Tuesday, Maestri said he might need a lot more.

If a strong Category 4 storm such as Ivan made a direct hit, he warned, 50,000 people could drown, and this city of Mardi Gras and jazz could cease to exist.

"This could be The One," Maestri said in an interview in his underground bunker. "You're talking about the potential loss of a major metropolitan area."

Forecasters said Tuesday night that they expected Ivan to veer at least 70 miles east of New Orleans before making landfall early Thursday, somewhere along the Gulf Coast extremities of Louisiana, Alabama or Mississippi. But Ivan has consistently drifted farther west than their predictions. This port city's levees are designed to withstand only a Category 3 storm, and officials begged residents to evacuate the area "if you have the means."

This could be very bad........... :(

IT'S BEEN REALLY ROUGH HERE IN SAN DIEGO--IT'S BLOWING PRETTY HARD HERE, ABOUT 5 MPH FROM THE S-WEST AND 73DEG, MY POOL WATER IS ABOUT 78DEG.

Hope you guys in the s. east come out ok.

IT'S BEEN REALLY ROUGH HERE IN SAN DIEGO--IT'S BLOWING PRETTY HARD HERE, ABOUT 5 MPH FROM THE S-WEST AND 73DEG, MY POOL WATER IS ABOUT 78DEG.
Oh, man. That's mean.....

BTW, my pools 82deg. :rolleyes:

Don Ferrette said:
A buoy about 300 miles south of Panama City registered waves over 34 feet high. "
I just read on accuweather that a bouy had readings of waves over 50 feet!!!!!!

I was in Daytona beach a bunch of years ago, and witnessed a 17 foot freak tidal wave. It was easily one of the scariest moments of my life, I cannot imagine a wall of water that is three times that high..... Unbelievable.

Good luck you guys!!

:unsure:

~James

Back