Boom tube collars pulling out

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike stover

Jae 12G2

I know i epoxied them in well, but my alum. collars have pulled out. 2 out of 4 anyway.

Anyone else have this problem yet? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Are you talking about the aluminum tubing in the sponsons?

We discussed this problem somewhere, either here or on another site. After I saw reports of it I was putting together some sponsons and before putting the top sheeting on I cut out above the tubing and poured some epoxy in there. Hopefully it holds. Others have drilled holes down to the tubing and filled those in with epoxy. The version 2 sponsons are open all the way through so they give a little more for the glue to stick to. Seeing how yours pulled out it might be a good time to drill all the way through.

Part of the problem to me is that when you slide the tubing in, it wipes off most of the epoxy. Rough up the tubing also if you haven't or didn't, that'll add some more grip. I just placed mine in a drill and hit it with some rough sandpaper. This also helped to leave the exposed tubing that sticks out shiny.

MIke sorry to hear that and Todd on here had given me a heads up before i built mine so i went with 5/16 hollow boom tubes and used brass in the sponsons the same way that zip designed the 21.I had decided that this was a better design well before the 21 had come out.

During the build it is much easier to do obviously but if i were you i would get some 5/16 hollow CF rods and the K&S brass tubing that it goes in drill out the aluminum in the sponsons and go clear throug as well as the holes in the tub and do what i did.

If you do make sure you slot the brass to allow the collars to clamp on the brass and squeeze the cf rods.

YOu can recess the foam inside the sponson to alow you to get more epoxy in there and when the new tubes roughed up tubes like ron mentioned are installed you can rotate the brass so it get coated with glue.You can also go in through the top or the bottom with a drill and get some glue in there that way.

If you do not go all the waythrough with the aluminum or brass you will not solve your problem

If you continue to use the solid 1/4 shafts you will probablly damage your boat before the tubes break.IMHO.

Lots of people are using them but how many are racing, having a crash or hitting a bouy really hard ????

I have already seen a rigger with the tub ripped out because the booms never borke first ;)

Now is tha time the season is just starting for you.

Jae 12G2

I know i epoxied them in well, but my alum. collars have pulled out. 2 out of 4 anyway.

Thanks, Mike
hollow carbon tubes?
wait aminit?? I'd tought these kits come with brass tubes inserts and soild carbon fiber rods for the boom's.....I'd just sanded the brass tube inserts with 80 grit and aply epoxy on inserts and the sponsons sides holes with foam in it..,, I hope mine doesnt come out...

Last edited by a moderator:
I plug the ends of the aluminum inserts first . Then rough up like Ron said . Coat the insides of the hole with glue real good and then insert the tubes. Also before I glue the tops of the sponsons

I slit the foam and insert a square of 1/8 Inch lite ply about 3/8 inches in front of where the aluminum will end. This will keep you from relying on just the foam to hold them tight.

You can also heat up the aluminum inserts to slide them out. Also I don't glue in the booms. I pin them to the aluminum inserts where they stick out of the sponsons. This and not glueing them

in makes it very easy to extend the stance or fix a broken tube or smashed insert tube.

Hope this helps,

Don

Jae 12G2

Thanks, Mike
I posted about this problem with the original 12G kits a few months ago and there were a lot of different ideas floating around. I turned out some delrin tubes that have a shoulder with a button head on them, they slide thru the sponson and the shoulder sits on the outer sponson side. I did the same with my 21 but made them out of aluminum. I will see if I can post a pic.

dz8ig1.jpg

5bwutz.jpg

Jae 12G2

Thanks, Mike
I posted about this problem with the original 12G kits a few months ago and there were a lot of different ideas floating around. I turned out some delrin tubes that have a shoulder with a button head on them, they slide thru the sponson and the shoulder sits on the outer sponson side. I did the same with my 21 but made them out of aluminum. I will see if I can post a pic.

dz8ig1.jpg

5bwutz.jpg
Great idea! Should work good!

I drilled holes into the foam before inserting the tubes. I filled the holes with epoxy after the tubes were epoxied in the usual way. Here are some pictures.

sponson1.jpg

sponson2.jpg

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

I pulled the old ones out, drilled all the way through the sponson and inserted new inserts that i ruffed up.

Then drilled down to them, and filled in the void and the hole with West Systems.

Thanks, Mike

Thanks alot for the suggestions.

I pulled the old ones out, drilled all the way through the sponson and inserted new inserts that i ruffed up.

Then drilled down to them, and filled in the void and the hole with West Systems.

Thanks, Mike
The only proublem in doing that way is your adding more weight to the sponsons..If I have to I'll drill mine out??? I'll solder end caps or epoxy them on to mine...but was told the way I'd epoxyed my brass inserts and holes were the inserts goes into, I should be good..

Do you actually think that becuase mike added a little epoxy that would cause a weight issue.It will not be proublem :blink:

I talked to Joe this afternoon, your sponsons should be fine so don't freak out. Most of the problem is with the first version of the sponsons, you've got the second.

Do you actually think that becuase mike added a little epoxy that would cause a weight issue.It will not be proublem :blink:
Abosolutely no problem by adding the litlle extra epoxy. I ran it yesterday and there is no difference in the way it handles.

It actually seems a little more stable, and havent lost ANY speed.

Thanks Guys

one thing you could do for the future.. if you build another set of sponsons..

go by a pcs of dowl rod.. say 5/8 - 3/4 round HARD WOOD.. ( size depends on how much room you have from the center of the sponson tube hole to the top of the sponsons )

and drill a hole where the sponson tube would normally be.. drill it the size of your hard wood.. cut off a pcs and epoxy that into the foam.. then you can sheet it and glue in your tubes that way.. I like hard wood for the tubes vs foam, but that is just personal preference.

chris

one thing you could do for the future.. if you build another set of sponsons..

go by a pcs of dowl rod.. say 5/8 - 3/4 round HARD WOOD.. ( size depends on how much room you have from the center of the sponson tube hole to the top of the sponsons )

and drill a hole where the sponson tube would normally be.. drill it the size of your hard wood.. cut off a pcs and epoxy that into the foam.. then you can sheet it and glue in your tubes that way.. I like hard wood for the tubes vs foam, but that is just personal preference.

chris
Thanks for the great idea Chris,

Im sure i will be building more boats soon.

Misshydro,

The amount of epoxy that i put in might be a thimble full on each side.

If i were to guess it would only be a few grams in weight.

But i figure, if a couple more grams hold my boat together a little longer than its worth

the extra weight.

Mike

Latest posts

Back