Boat Finishing and Painting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hg-md

I know there has been a lot of attention to Mikes boat finishing procedure as of lately. Good information. I am currently getting ready to finish a boat and would like to get some more input from all of you great experienced modelers out there. Could someone make some recommendations on finishing the boat? Which West Systems epoxies are you using? What is a good recommendation for painting? Airbrushing? Sanding?

Thanks!

there are lots of ways to get a good fuel/water-proof finish. Is the boat made of wood? a lot depends on the type of finish you're looking for and what the hull is made of. if you want the best looking finish, automotive primers, base coats, and clear coats look fantastic when done right. but there's a weight penalty with multiple coats. West Systems Epoxy #105 resin and #206 hardener come highly recommended as a sealer for the inside and outside of wood hulls. i use the #205 hardener, but i'd recommend going with the #206 for the longer pot life. you can get it at marine/boat supply stores or on the web through mail-order at several places but you'll pay for shipping. here's 2 sources i know of-

http://www.superiorbalsa.com/ and

http://www.cstsales.com

you'll need access to equipment necessary to spray the paints, and automotive paints are nasty stuff to breathe. there are easier and cheaper ways to get a decent paint job, but now that i've used the 2 part/2 stage auto paints and clears, i'll never use anything else again. not sure if you want to go through the extra work and cost involved. i've gone the cheaper way using 2-part hobby epoxy type paints as well and when done right, they'll work ok. some guys here have used different brands of the spraycan type "fuel proof" paints and have had luck with them. the spraycan paints i've tried just haven't resisted high nitro fuel very well around the fuel tank and engine areas.

someone recommended the PPG 2021 automotive clearcoat on an earlier post and I have to say that he was right, that stuff is awesome. and the available autopaint colors are limited to the imagination.

if you like airbrushing graphics, or would like small amounts of exotic (expensive) paints like house of color, here are some sources i've come across-

http://www.airheadairbrush.com/House%20of%20Kolor.htm and

http://www.innate.com/home.htm

do a search on this forum and there is a lot of info regarding finishing. you can also use http://www.google.com/ to search the web. important- whichever method you choose to go with, if you are using more than one product make sure that they are compatible with each other. have fun!

I have some questions to on the same subject :)

I am planning to use spraycan car paint on my boat, since I happen to have that already.

Define what you considder "high nitro fuel"? I think I'll be useing 20-40% (depending how the engine behaves). Will I need to use some other paint for the interior?

i consider 45% and up to be high nitro. you'll probably be alright if you clean it up and don't let fuel sit in the fuel cell and engine areas...

Make sure you get a good fuel proof clear or once the nitro hits it, no matter the percent you use it will ruin it.

Here is an example of what i'm working on. I'm using PPG Deltron. It is the Jeff Gordon Orange, Azure Poly Blue and the tiger strios will be a Metallic Gun Metal Grey. The masking of the strips has taken over an hour and as you'll see I'm not done. Also included is the end result, I hope!

I would suggest brushing some epoxy in the fuel compartment and engine area to be safe !!! then paint over it . Use finish cure or 30 minute epoxy for this. Or west sytems if you have it.

I learned the hardway !!!!!!! :-[ :'(

Has anyone tried the Duplicolor Automotive paints ??

They make the touch-up paints and have them in the large spray can !!! Color coat and clear coat . If not I'm about to find out on my JD WOF 30's. They have some cool anodized blue,red,gold and chrome. They also have a base coat to use for there paints.

Nice boat RC- and a good lookin paint job also. How did you make it? Fully scratch? plans from somewhere? Thanks to all for the input!

I don't know anything about paints. I have spray bombed stuff before, but I do not want to do that. I have airbrush equipment, and a friend that is pretty proficient at it to get me going, but still lack the knowledge of what to use for paint. I plan on going with what you guys recommend. Enamel? Acrylic? Poly? Epoxy? I don't know, so please teach me!!! As of right now, I have my boat finished with West Systems. That recommnedation was great. Thanks for all the good input.

Hi

Just to confuse you use an Acrylic modified polyurethane two pack enamel. Catalysed enamels are fuelproof. I keep hearing good things about the PPG Omni clear as a top coat.

Forgot to mention you should put a clear coat over the top of you paint, particulalry if using vinyl stickers.

Have fun but remember this stuff is really toxic. Most hardners have isocyanates and toluene as their main components both have cumulative and long term effects.

GT 8)

Back