Black Jack .21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also like to say again Brad you build one hell of a little boat.

I rolled this thing at full speed three times before it caught the tips went end over end and slammed hard back down , it was one of the most violent flips I have ever seen.

I brought the boat back cleaned out the engine gave it a quick once over and off it went again , amazing.

Tim k

Tim K

Try a h-7 0r a h-10 full blade.The h-6 with 3.6 inches picth is a good blade.Are you going to the inter nats this year in Ind.

Dave Roach

Dave

Tried the H-7 and H-10 ,both were good still don't have an H-6.

No Nats for me this year , just not in the cards.

Tim K

Tested a couple more props today.
De-tongued 1650 , pulled it fairly easy but just on the edge of being to much prop ,maybe with a little more work.

S-15 cut like the Orlic 50x69 , Terrible , boat hopped and pulled hard to the right at speed.

1450 cut like the Orlic 50x69 worked very well just a little slower.

With every prop tested I tied changing sponson angles and strut height , to get the most of each prop except for the S-15.

I managed to get the 50x69 pretty close for heat racing but it is still on the edge , I guess that's why we have throttle control.

I would like to add that Franks prop is a testimate of all his time spent testing , there is at least three mods to this prop that I can see.

I know he developed it over a period of time on his boat and it is something special , Good job Frank and yes you can have it back now :lol: .

Tim K
Hi Tim,

Did the de tongued 1650 get the motor too hot after maybe 4 -5 laps? Just curious.

De-tongued 1650 , pulled it fairly easy but just on the edge of being to much prop ,maybe with a little more work.

S-15 cut like the Orlic 50x69 , Terrible , boat hopped and pulled hard to the right at speed.

With every prop tested I tied changing sponson angles and strut height , to get the most of each prop except for the S-15.

I managed to get the 50x69 pretty close for heat racing but it is still on the edge , I guess that's why we have throttle control.

I would like to add that Franks prop is a testimate of all his time spent testing , there is at least three mods to this prop that I can see.

I know he developed it over a period of time on his boat and it is something special , Good job Frank and yes you can have it back now :lol: .

Tim K
Hi Tim,

Did the de tongued 1650 get the motor too hot after maybe 4 -5 laps? Just curious.
Hey Ron

Actually ran a couple of tanks with this prop and it stayed on pipe rather well it did run hotter.

The one thing I noticed it did slow through the turn a little and just didn't have the RPM through out the coarse.

I am running the pipe very short so a touch longer may have helped with the corners or maybe just a little more blade work.

Tim

Tim K
Hi Tim,

Hey Ron

Actually ran a couple of tanks with this prop and it stayed on pipe rather well it did run hotter.

The one thing I noticed it did slow through the turn a little and just didn't have the RPM through out the coarse.

I am running the pipe very short so a touch longer may have helped with the corners or maybe just a little more blade work.

Tim
I ran my Black Jack today, with a rather consevative prop. ( siock H-5) I am breaking in new 06 Valvola, so i was not looking for top speed. This motor has the single exhaust port, with the fixed ramp in the drum housing. I swaped the carb for the 08 carb with the nice 90 degree fuel fitting. I sleeved the bore to 315. Stock bore was .350. Head insert is stock CMB turbo plug, set @ .008. Plug was O donnel turbo#99. O donnel 65%. Front sponsons are set at 3.2 degrees inside, and outside is at 3.4 degrees. Bottom of strut is 1/8th below sponson bottom. Boat was running nice and level to the water, with a nice layed back roost. Turns were very smooth and predictable. I also was running just a tad of positive thrust in the strut. It sure was good smelling the "gun powder" again, as i have not run O donnel fuel in quite some time. Thanks to Brad Christy for designing and building such a great hydro. Dave Roach helped me with the set up changes...... Thanks Dave. Yes, the new 3280 pipe is working well. I will try more props in the near future. Thanks again to Tim K for the detailed set up tips. Richard D

Richard,

Where were you hiding at on Sunday? TCMBC had a race up in your neck of the woods,at the Isanti County fair Grounds. The Fair gave out some pretty nice trophys but I didn't win any :( . but hey thats why they call it racing! My son ran my Woodstuff and had three top three finishes, It was the first time he has ever raced and he is already better at it than me!

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard,Where were you hiding at on Sunday? TCMBC had a race up in your neck of the woods,at the Isanti County fair Grounds. The Fair gave out some pretty nice trophys but I didn't win any :( . but hey thats why they call it racing! My son ran my Woodstuff and had three top three finishes, It was the first time he has ever raced and he is already better at it than me!

Larry
Hey Larry, i have been selling most of my .21 tunnel parts, and i dont race my Shaman .45 tunnel. Not much in to racing anymore. Just like to test boats now i guess. Sounds like your son is doing a great job with his driving. I hope he stays with the hobby. Having fun is what its about anyways. Later, Richard D

Richard,
The boat you've got is the very first BlackJack I ever built and it was somewhat of a "ranging shot". It ended up VERY close, but the AOA was a bit low. I improved the AOA on that boat, but it might yet be a bit tight on the water. It always did seem to be a little TOO stable, even though the speed was adequate.

Dave and I are running an AOA of 3.1-3.3 degrees. To acheive this angle with the tub at the right attitude on your table (rear sponsons .200" off the table), you are looking at 3.7-3.9 degree from the bottom of the tub. If you can't achieve this with your boat, give me a call and we'll talk about what we can do to get you to it.

Tim,

Get an H-6 from Mark, cupped 3.6", and try a de-tongued H-10, stock pitch and diameter. If you can turn a de-tongued 1650, you'll be looking at........... No, I can't say it. That speed doesn't exist...... Sorry......... ;) your are a very funny guy Brad !

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Back