Bad setup or Bad tune-up?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What tool would be best to widen the slot? I don't have a lot of metal working tools, in fact I don't really have any. I've got the strut at 7/8" or so from the bottom, I could possibly get it higher without putting much/any angle on it. I didn't sand too awful much on the bottom of the hull, mainly to get the gel coat off to give it a little tooth for turning. I'm anxious to get back to the lake and see what having the strut up this high does, previous runs had the strut blade even with the strut mount like it comes stock.
You have a dremel?? That is what I used.

Sanding the bottom...I don't think that is to give it bite...but the exact opposite. My understanding is that a rough surface allows bubbles to form under the hull reducing drag on the water (your boat will ride on air). Another purpose for sanding is to make an non-flat surface, flat...

Sean

Thanks guys, back on page 1 of this thread there are pics at the bottom, do they look right as far as where the strut should be?

Thanks guys, back on page 1 of this thread there are pics at the bottom, do they look right as far as where the strut should be?
I think you need to elongate the slot in the strut and get it closer to the hull. I run mine about 1/2" between the strut and the hull, or about 7/8" from the bottom of the hull to the center of the strut. I like to have about one degree of positive trim in the strut.

We all run the OS #8 plug with the 30% and 45% nitro.

It don't hold up tp 60% so now I am running an OS R5.

Last edited by a moderator:
k&b 1L's B) #7311 will also slightly reduce the bubble volume,,which is a good thing in those aqua's,,now its not significant,,but does help..they will take 60% all day long,as well as low nitro... little spendy but a great plug..

mho,,,alden

Back