Are Dumas JG props any good?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hugh hargett

Looking at them I see some with what looks like a nice cut but ...... No one ever talks about them.

Are they any good?

Maybe the reason "No one ever talks about them" answers the question, "Are they any good?"

JD
I never assume anything Jerry sometimes people dont talk about things that give them an edge, so I never approach topics at that angle. I think it would be okay to say JD doesnt like JG lol. I guess I dont really understand what make one good versus bad. ABC is considered good right? But yet they come out the mold blade biased everytime, and ususally require more work than an octura, but they are considered better :huh:

What characteristics should be looking for in what would be good props versus sorry ones?

Some of the jg's resembled chopper series props so I was just curious if they were worth a swing. Sorry for being so outdated.

Last edited:
Maybe the reason "No one ever talks about them" answers the question, "Are they any good?"

JD
I never assume anything Jerry sometimes people dont talk about things that give them an edge, so I never approach topics at that angle. I think it would be okay to say JD doesnt like JG lol. I guess I dont really understand what make one good versus bad. ABC is considered good right? But yet they come out the mold blade biased everytime, and ususally require more work than an octura, but they are considered better :huh:

What characteristics should be looking for in what would be good props versus sorry ones?

Some of the jg's resembled chopper series props so I was just curious if they were worth a swing. Sorry for being so outdated.
There isn't an easy answer for "good props" versus "sorry ones." I really don't consider myself an expert on props. I've "bent," "bought" and "borrowed" lots of props in my 47 years of model boating. "Back in the day," Dumas JG props were widely used. But, like many things from "Back in the day," there have been improvements and increased selection.

A little model boating history for those who may not know the origin of Dumas JG props. The JG stands for Jim Gale. Jim was a real gentleman. He lived in the San Diego area and had a background in metallurgy. Jim also designed a 20 powered cabin cruiser called the Avalon. Jim sold his props for awhile and then linked up with Jay Brandon at Dumas Boats to manufacture and distribute the props.

I had the opportunity to chat with Jim at national events back in the late 60 and early 70s. Jim was always willing to discuss props and model boating.

JD

The JG props carried a very similarshape and blade profile as current inboard Hydro and flatbottom props of the day . i had a little G - 20 that worked great on my 20 - JVS Deep Vee . I gave the boat to a kid and he is still running it today !

Guys,

It always pays to revisit old things with today's newer boats and equipment.

Some of the JG propellers have some good numbers on them.

Happy New Year,

Mark Sholund

:ph34r: You guys are making it hard lol. Jerrys been an idol of mine in rc boating since I was a kid. Mark is a respected friend. Im stuck. Mark what model jg's look decent to you? Jerry what brand hails as the majority in your prop box? if there is a majority.

Last edited:
:ph34r: You guys are making it hard lol. Jerrys been an idol of mine in rc boating since I was a kid. Mark is a respected friend. Im stuck. Mark what model jg's look decent to you? Jerry what brand hails as the majority in your prop box? if there is a majority.
The majority of props I have are Octura. I also have Grim Racer props and a few Prather props.

JD

Hugh, I have run alot of the JG props, we could make most of the props run very fast, props I ran were on 20 hydro, OB and inboard, 20 mono, 40 hydro and mono, 60/80 hydros and monos, would depend on what size and class boats U are running to match the correct prop.

hope this helps

dick

Hugh, I have run alot of the JG props, we could make most of the props run very fast, props I ran were on 20 hydro, OB and inboard, 20 mono, 40 hydro and mono, 60/80 hydros and monos, would depend on what size and class boats U are running to match the correct prop.

hope this helps

dick
Dick is %100 right, My fastest O/B Tunnel prop was a JG Texas cut done by Allen E. I had all of Andy Browns props in every configuration. Not saying that they would work on every boat and set-up, but that was one combo that was a Winner for me. So will they work? I think that it depends on the boat,set-up and motor. testing lots of props and set-ups to see which one will give you the best performance is key.

Dick Im looking at props for my 40 inch mono ,a 27 inch LSH,and a 30 inch hydro. I dont understand the JG numbers so I dont really know what numbers I should be looking at. I dont know if the jg's will give me what I want but Id like to play with a few just to see. When I looked at the cut they didnt look so bad.jg-props-10.jpg

Last edited:
I still have JG props in my prop box. When K&B first introduced the 3.5 outboard, a E-20 or E-20T were the standard for tunnels. The blades are thicker than the Octura and it takes longer to sharpen them. I find them to have high lift. An E-20 prop pushed my tunnels to mid to high 30's. These speeds are considered slow today.

I suggest a JG I-22 or I-25 for a 40 inch mono assuming the motor is .45 and running sub-surface.

A F22 to G-25 should be good for a .20 size sport hydro.

Dick Im looking at props for my 40 inch mono ,a 27 inch LSH,and a 30 inch hydro. I dont understand the JG numbers so I dont really know what numbers I should be looking at. I dont know if the jg's will give me what I want but Id like to play with a few just to see. When I looked at the cut they didnt look so bad.View attachment 33473
We ran the I and J props on our 40 monos, the last time I ran the JG props in a 40 mono was at the stone mountain race in Atlanta,GA, we ran 50 lap timed qualifiers with a 100 hundred lap final, you had to pit at least 1 time, we ran the final while it was blowing 30 MPH and snowing, I ran my california mono with a water cooled 40 supertiger X 40 pylon engine, I won US 1 with this boat,it was very fast considering that was 20 plus years ago , the most brand boat at this event was the sightler boats, OOOOHHHH the memories.

dick

"...I dont understand the JG numbers so I dont really know what numbers I should be looking at...."

Hey Hugh,

This prop chart should help you out some.

Dick Jones,

I don't want to hear it. You've already admilled to using them, and it brought back memories. I just was able to find a prop chart for him before the paper it was printed on turned to dust. When Dick & some of the rest of us started boating - - Prop charts were etched on Granite slabs. Be careful JD. Har, Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

I sold a lot of over 50 props to someone in Florida a couple years ago..3 bucks a copy all were still in the packages where they belong LOL

In my prather I calculate on 6spower ; 4 hp at 35k loaded. What would be a good jg to try on a 40 inch mono with this power? It is a suface drive.

Probably an RI or RH 25, RH or RI27 would be a good place to start.

I used to use those on the 20 Oval Master from Don Wagner back in the early/mid 80's.

I ran it surface drive also back then.

RH25= 1.750" dia 2.5" pitch 1.280" blade area

RI25= 1.850" dia. 2.5" pitch 1.380" blade area

RH27= 1.750" dia. 2.75" pitch 1.210" blade area

RI27= 1.875" dia 2.75" pitch 1.510" blade area

These used to hook up real well without much cavitation at all.

(I just got back from the garage where I have all my old prop data sheets kept) :D

and yes Mikey, I still have these props in an old prop box in the garage as well. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back