Aquacraft VS-1

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very competitive I loved mine ( crash ). In the process of rebuilding and making it into a FE.

Look to the upper left of this post, there is mine flying!

You will not be disappointed.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about getting one and doing a FE conversion, but went another route. Most of the guys that run tunnels in my district did say that it was a very good running boat, HOWEVER, double check all the seams and reglue them as nessessary. The design is good, just the quality of the work done in the manufacturing plant is not as good as if you were to build it yourself.

I thought about getting one and doing a FE conversion, but went another route. Most of the guys that run tunnels in my district did say that it was a very good running boat, HOWEVER, double check all the seams and reglue them as nessessary. The design is good, just the quality of the work done in the manufacturing plant is not as good as if you were to build it yourself.
Agree

Anybody run a VS-1? How are they as a competitive race boat?
Rick,

Personally.. I feel the VS-1 is one of the best sport tunnels you can buy but.. Not the only one but darn good.. It also “ONLY” works best as a sport tunnel.. keep this in mind as you make a boat decision.

Also.. here is what I do to my VS1s to get them ready for competition.. (note: this is not for everybody nor is it necessary).. But.. I like my boats to last as long as possible.

Also important is: As of on or around the middle of 2010 the VS1 became completely built using epoxy. We struggled to pull this off in production during the first shipments but its now done.

Regardless: I take a heat gun and remove the top sponson skins and re coat all sponson seams with West Systems. I place on new 1/32” sponson top sheets using the old ones as patterns.

All “boxed” areas (radio and motor areas) get edges and seams filled using West and Col-filler. The entire boat is sanded.. Sealed and re-cleared.

To date I have not setup and run the new epoxy built boat as my personal boat.. I still have an older (new in the box) production boat and it’s about to undergo this treatment. I had a back wreck with my (two time Masters Winner 2009-2010) and it has to be replaced.

As Andy Brown once said.. Choose your weapon!

Grim

Anybody run a VS-1? How are they as a competitive race boat?
Rick,

Personally.. I feel the VS-1 is one of the best sport tunnels you can buy but.. Not the only one but darn good.. It also "ONLY" works best as a sport tunnel.. keep this in mind as you make a boat decision.

Also.. here is what I do to my VS1s to get them ready for competition.. (note: this is not for everybody nor is it necessary).. But.. I like my boats to last as long as possible.

Also important is: As of on or around the middle of 2010 the VS1 became completely built using epoxy. We struggled to pull this off in production during the first shipments but its now done.

Regardless: I take a heat gun and remove the top sponson skins and re coat all sponson seams with West Systems. I place on new 1/32" sponson top sheets using the old ones as patterns.

All "boxed" areas (radio and motor areas) get edges and seams filled using West and Col-filler. The entire boat is sanded.. Sealed and re-cleared.

To date I have not setup and run the new epoxy built boat as my personal boat.. I still have an older (new in the box) production boat and it's about to undergo this treatment. I had a back wreck with my (two time Masters Winner 2009-2010) and it has to be replaced.

As Andy Brown once said.. Choose your weapon!

Grim
Grim, what do you mean as a "sport tunnel"? I want to race IMPBA B Tunnel class.

Sport class you can kinda call stock... But can still change the insides of engine a bit... Mod would be changes to the engine, exhuast and lower... The hull is a bit small and light for the mod but some have tried it...

Rick,

IMPBA B tunnel both Sport and Mod are fun classes.

The VS1 was designed as a sport tunnel.. lighter, smaller, and more agile. IMPBA sport is a go-no-go class and its my all time favorite..

Carb bore is stock.. exhaust bore/s are stock.. and you use manufactures parts.. and then HAVE AT IT!.. Cut, drill hack and sand.. no body gives a hoot.. the governor is set with the bore restrictions..

Grim

Great, now I've gone from confused to really confused. I'm just going to run a stock .21 this year. Thought the VS-1 wpuld be OK out of the box.

But thanks for your input.

Rick,

You will not go wrong with a VS-1 and a "Stock" motor.. thats how I run mine and its lighting quick!

Grim

Rick,

TS3 is more of a mod boat. IMO

If you want a sport/stock 21 tunnel in the $ 150 range. There are two picks:

VS1, if you want wood

Cobra if you don't want wood.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick,

You will not go wrong with a VS-1 and a "Stock" motor.. thats how I run mine and its lighting quick!

Grim
Ok, one last question, would I be better off with a TS3? :unsure:
I would only consider a TS3 if you plan on switching your motor to a mod.... The ts3 will be more stable but at a 1lb. weight difference with the vs1 will be better for sport/stock....

On another note if you like the idea of fiberglass vs. wood a HTB 260 is another option but spendy... Other wise I saw a new Cobra for sale on rcuniverse for 160 and believe it is on here also....

Good question and I can help.. wonder why? :blink: .........KIDDING!

The TS3 quite honestly is a VERY VERY good Sport tunnel.. IF" I start racing one again it will be in the sport tunnel class. The boat has only been on the market for a short time but during its development has racked up a slue of Sport Tunnel top finishes.

2007 Tunnel Champs sport tunnel (tie for 1st finish second)

2007 Internats (1st place sport tunnel)

2008 Tunnel Champs Winner sport tunnel

2008 Internats (tie for 1st finish second)

I switched back to my VS1 after 2008 and the development of the TS3 hull was done. (I like wood boats)

Bunches more but I can not remember them all..

Having said this.. The TS3 is longer and heavier.. It can handle more power then the VS1.

Grim

Back