Anyone Tried or experimented with This?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedway

Picked up what i think is a "Capricorn" hull last week, never used and cheap as dirt. Its HUGE (6 feet 2 inches) . I put it my basement beside some Motorbike projects im working on and low and behold I have a later Honda CR80, (80cc) Liquid cooled 2-stroker motor without a home! Anyone try somethiing like that? Thinking machine out the Gearbox and have a large Flexi-drive and run water??? The 80 motor is done to the eye-balls (ex Canadian Juniors Champion bike). Any links of examples would be appreciated.

I can see you standing in the boat now, kicking the heck out of the kick starter....lol It would be cool I guess, but a fair amount of work. plop it in 5th gear and forget about the clutch.... let it dig. Spring loaded slide carb would be interesting to figure out how to make it work properly, need some big servos... Anythings possible...

~James

just reread your post.... you could hack off the tranny like you said, run the shaft straight off the crank... sure it could be done.

~James

I was thinking about removing the entire gearbox assembly and closing up the bottom end (would just look like a big Nitro-motor and a starter cog, Made the mods before for a Cart with Centrifical drive alla Snowmobile). Throttle assembly would be easy and you dont need the spring in the carb for it to work, Servo pull/push's right? Has onyon seen or have pics of something created like that? Would be hard to bum-start

Well, I have a 1 year old female boxer that sleeps in the Empty hull now, She'll get the maiden voyage should things go well

Don Templeton said:
Hey Speedway.
Why not make one for each foot?  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

71189[/snapback]

When you give this idea a good hard thought it is very, Very possible. Is it not the same idea as the HOT SAW for the lumber jack competitions. And they are useing bored over 250 motors. :eek: :eek: Bolt on and hang on!!!!!!!! Props shop makes props that size and for that application. :lol: :lol:

The biggest issue I see to overcome is a steering servo. It would have to be a monster to have any kind of response time.

Could you see the guy on a Sea Doo being passed by an unoccupied boat? Or maybe have a blowup doll in it. That would be over the top! :lol:

You could double up two quarter scale servos for steering. I've seen this done for large rc monster trucks that used Briggs engines.

A guy at our pond tried to do this with an old go kart motor. The problem he found at the time was trying to prop the thing. It would cavitate real bad, nothing was big enough at the time. This was a few years ago, i'm sure someone would make one for it. But worth checking into before doing all that work

Eric

Well I made some rubber mounts last night at my buddies shop and cut out the gear-case and plugged it with a cool looking chunk of billet. Made motor mounts, needed 4, 1 to heep the cylinder tight and put the motor in. Pulled the water pump and ran a garden hose through it. Flow's lots. Made the CGthe same as my Microburst or as close to it. Now the servos and hardware......

Speedway said:
Well I made some rubber mounts last night at my buddies shop and cut out the gear-case and plugged it with a cool looking chunk of billet.  Made motor mounts, needed 4,  1 to heep the cylinder tight and put the motor in.  Pulled the water pump and ran a garden hose through it.  Flow's lots.  Made the CGthe same as my Microburst or as close to it.    Now the servos and hardware......
71355[/snapback]

DEFINITELY post some pics as you go............ B)

I have a 3/4 in flex cable and baught a CV collet that mates to the motor (after a little milling) Is 3/4 inch to big??? I plan to mount the tube this weekend but am looking at this cable like to could power a tug-boat (full sized). Cant find a flex-cable a size under till you reach regular RC size!

I would think you need to source out some props. I an thinking that props that will fit the sst45 tunnel boat would be a good place to start. If not there them the props used in the ABPA support class that run the Rossi marine 40 motors. No not the little things we run. THE REAL ROSSI motor. The APBA website would be the place to start. B) B)

Got the thing on the water yesterday and all i can say is this thing is Waaaaay to mutch of a handfull. I have no idea what size prop is on (borrowed it from another old Capricorn) but it revs to the moon with no sign of "too much prop" slowing the 80cc in the least. No speed device available at the cottage but it at LEAST doubled the speed of my Microburst with .67 Picco. Instead of jumping one wave to another it made Tripples or quadruple jumps! Trim tabs were useless and sinking them below the back end didnt slow the thing down or push the nose down to a politically correct position. The thing braught everyone over from thier cottages as i guess an 80cc 2 stroke with no muffler running on a lake gets loud. Ran a half liter of pre-mix through it and braught it into shore with only a few hair raising minutes (torpedoed large wave and wet submersible but came out again like a missile launch from a submarine), the range on my Radio got extremelyt short, fast at that speed, the inertia coming to shore has it skipping instead of dropping when the throttle is chopped. Still need some adjustments as the vacume created by the reed motor was too much for my throttle servo's and linkage. The Flex-cable needs an oiler in a bad way as the copper tube was at a higher temp than the motor and burned through the copper in 2 locations. Theres a short video of it that i'll put on as soon as its converted!

****! you didnt waste any time huh? I cant wait to see a video of it or atlest some pics...

~James

I shoulda spent More time! Servos's cooked, Stuffing tubes knackered, should ribbed the hull some more as the stress was a little too much for the 6 foot 2 inch hull!

Thats a bummer man, are you going to try again? Id suggest you get two high torque (150 oz-in or more) servos and get a "Y" connector and run them in parallel, so you get 300 oz-in or or something. With that much power from an 80cc engine there is alot of vibration inside the hull. Try taking rubber spacers at a local hardware store and sandwich them on the motor mount.

Phil :blink: ;) B)

Last edited by a moderator: