Antenna question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Are there any drawbacks in using the 1/32" wire whip antennas instead of the plastic tube. I know you have to cut the receiver antenna,but are there any other problems? Thanks,Brian

Hi Brian,

I have used them before on RC cars with no problems.

Some times when I am deciding on something I list the pros and cons and see what wins. For me I can't think of any pros to using the steel whip antenna. There are several cons. Here is my list, maybe your list is different.

You have to commit to it by cutting your antenna that makes it hard to use the Rx in other models.

You have extra connections that can fail.

They are an added expense.

If you have any radio glitches it's another thing you have to consider.

-Mike

I agree with Mike!

I would stick with the tube. It is easier to use. It is also flexible, so you wont rip your radio box cover of when you flip, if you flip.

Hammer

What about those "combs" you wrap the antenna wire around? How much does that affect range? I have seen boat guys using them.

Antenna combs are a no-no. They are only for short range applications. The antenna for our rx units is intended to be straight. When you coil them you begin to effect the gain & band width. Add to this that water acts as a ground plane and all kinds of havok can happen. :eek:

chunk t

Yeah,I didn't even think about the dreaded flip! Its not a question of "if" but when. I think the wire just makes the boat look neater without the tube. Thanks Brian

Back