Aluminum "Wheel" type Servo Arms for Pull-Pull??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Hey Gang,

Were do you guys get your round servo arms for your tunnels... I'm talking about the ones I've seen on some Lynxs, etc., that are used with pull-pull cables?? I need something that will fit Hitec 645 or 625 servo...

Do tell... ;)

Thanks,

None do Darin.. ya got to make your own.. However you can take a Hangar9 and machine off the back side and bolt it to a HT servo.

Grim

Here is how I did it in the Aroslot tunnel.. this is what led to the system in the VS1 kit... Hum.. pic will not upload

I will try later

grim

Here is how I did it in the Aroslot tunnel.. this is what led to the system in the VS1 kit... Hum.. pic will not upload
I will try later

grim
Hmmmm.... If you are saying there is something cool in the VS1 Kit... maybe I'll wait until mine arrives tomorrow and check it out... Common parts are GOOD for racing! Less spares to carry around... VERY nice! ;)

I will try later

grim
Hmmmm.... If you are saying there is something cool in the VS1 Kit... maybe I'll wait until mine arrives tomorrow and check it out... Common parts are GOOD for racing! Less spares to carry around... VERY nice! ;)
I found this pic on the Aquacraft VS1 page:

aqub0006-radiobox-lg.jpg

Thanks Guys...

Mike, I found that Hanger 9 piece... That's what I was looking for, thanks! Maybe I'll just switch Servo types so I can use something like this directly... I have no affiliation with a radio company other than I just already have these servos...

Mike also sent me this this morning... This is from the VS1:

Last edited by a moderator:
darin, not sure what the vs-1 instructions say about crimpimg the steering cable collars. if they don't advise you to, loop the cable back through the crimp collar, going through it twice, after the steering arm or clevis at the motor. through the collar, through the clevis, back through the collar, & then around the collar & back through it again. the cable end will end up pointing at the radio box. no slipping this way B) . i think a thin coat of epoxy or ca between the stock wheel halves would prevent any chance of the cable getting wedged between them. i use the hanger 9 wheels, work great.

Grim you say you can machine off the back side of the Hangar9 metal "pull-pull" servo wheel so that you can then bolt it to a Hitec servo...would you please explain that a little more in detail for me? I was trying to find some way to use a Hitec 645MG servo in my new VS-1, and I had a heck of a time doing it. Ultimately I got it done by cutting down a large Hitec servo wheel to fit the VS-1 "pull-pull" wheel; but it was a chore, and I am a little skeptical about it holding up.

I've never used a "pull-pull" steering set-up before so this is all new to me. I googled "Hangar9 pull-pull wheel" and did find a source for these, but before I order them I'd like to make sure I can use it with a Hitec servo. Also what size Hangar9 wheel would I want for the VS-1...small, medium or large? I assume it's either the small or medium one.

I guess I could just buy a Futaba servo to use with the Hangar9 wheel, but I have quite a back-up supply of Hitec servos on hand!

Pete,

We used the old Hangar 9 med (30mm) Our new setup has 35mm spacing. Anyway.. I would chuck the wheel in my lathe and machine the back out so the HT round servo wheel would fit under and inside the alum part. Then just bolt the alum to the HT wheel.

Truth is for the price of the 3305 im not sure its worth it..

Once you use a cable pull pull you will be done with solid rods.

grim

darin, not sure what the vs-1 instructions say about crimpimg the steering cable collars. if they don't advise you to, loop the cable back through the crimp collar, going through it twice, after the steering arm or clevis at the motor. through the collar, through the clevis, back through the collar, & then around the collar & back through it again. the cable end will end up pointing back at the clevis. no slipping this way B) . i think a thin coat of epoxy or ca between the stock wheel halves would prevent any chance of the cable getting wedged between them. i use the hanger 9 wheels, work great.
I use nylon coated stainless fishing leader for cables, crimp it with 2 sleeves, and put shrink tube over it. When you apply the heat to shrink the tubing it bonds the nylon sheath together at the same time. they dont slip. I learned this trick making Muskie leaders.

James Clegg from Oval express used as straight steering arm with pull pull cable....

Worked great too.

Did sell it as well.

Ronald.

Pete,
We used the old Hangar 9 med (30mm) Our new setup has 35mm spacing. Anyway.. I would chuck the wheel in my lathe and machine the back out so the HT round servo wheel would fit under and inside the alum part. Then just bolt the alum to the HT wheel.

grim
Grim, thanks a lot for the feedback. I hear you totally in regards to possibly just buying a Futaba 3305 and making it easy on myself. Again, since I've never used a "pull-pull" set-up it's kind of hard to visualize what you've shared above with the Hangar 9 wheel and a HT servo. I think I'll just buy a Hangar 9 wheel and a FUT3305 and make it easy on myself. I'm too old and stupid for some of this stuff! Thanks again for your help!

Pete

Pete,

grim

Where in the heck can I find the Hangar 9 pull-pull wheels (HAN3514...Futaba/medium size)? Does anyone know? If so, please let me know.

Thank you.

If you are going to use the hangar nine unit.. make sure you buy a few.. the spines can be hit and miss.

Grim

i have edited my previous post on steering cables. the cable will end up pointing at the radio box, not the motor :blink: . one of those senior moments.......... i seal/cover my crimp with heat shrink, too - i made a lot of leaders for salt water the way i described B) .

Once again I'm a little puzzled , Why not just use a straight arm like James (OER) use to sell ? Why spend more on an aluminum wheel thingy , I had one like the arm better .

Ed

Back