Air density gauge

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any one tell me were to get a Air density guage at a decent price?
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...ategoryId=16971[/url]
10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=16971]http://www.jegs
Don, thanks for the Info. on the gauge but I was looking for one less expensive than $136.
Good Luck.

If you find one cheaper (new that is) let me know.

:)

-Buck-

Last edited by a moderator:
Can any one tell me were to get a Air density guage at a decent price?
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...ategoryId=16971[/url]
10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=16971]http://www.jegs
Don, thanks for the Info. on the gauge but I was looking for one less expensive than $136.
Well that's the cheapest I've seen anywhere on a quality name like Barry Grant. My Grant guage has been perfect for over 7 years now. B)

I purchased mine thru Tanner racing for 109.00 I will look up the web page. This is a major supplier of high perfrmance car parts. Very nice gauge and doesn't owe me a dime. Jerry

You can find altimeters on ebay from time to time at a good price. If you couple it with a temp gauge you will have everything you need to make fuel adjustments.

You can find altimeters on ebay from time to time at a good price. If you couple it with a temp gauge you will have everything you need to make fuel adjustments.
What??? You're missing an important piece of the puzzle without a density guage. An altimeter will give a fixed value of where you are at, that will not change once you are where you are going to race. A temp guage? I guess it's nice to know how hot or cold it is but you can have sizeable swings in density which dramatically change your needle settings before you see a change, if any, on a thermometer. Seen this waaay too many times. I consider a quality air density guage one of the most valuable tools in my pit box. B)

You may want to check into the Daqpod equipment. It checks all three things needed humidity, temp and pressure. Most air density meters only check temp and pressure. Humidity is a big part of air density.

What??? You're missing an important piece of the puzzle without a density guage. An altimeter will give a fixed value of where you are at, that will not change once you are where you are going to race. A temp guage? I guess it's nice to know how hot or cold it is but you can have sizeable swings in density which dramatically change your needle settings before you see a change, if any, on a thermometer. Seen this waaay too many times. I consider a quality air density guage one of the most valuable tools in my pit box. B)
Don, you clearly have not used an altimeter before or you would know that if you set it at 29.92 watch it thoughout the day, it will register the differance in density altitude thoughout the day. If you read a bit about density you will find that the biggest variable is free air temp. I guess if you are using s POS temp gauge it doesn't change rapidly enough.

If you are doubting me send a note to Terry Keeley and ask him what his openion of your air density guage is. He's surely more qualified than we are about this subject.

Don, you clearly have not used an altimeter before or you would know that if you set it at 29.92 watch it thoughout the day, it will register the differance in density altitude thoughout the day. If you read a bit about density you will find that the biggest variable is free air temp. I guess if you are using s POS temp gauge it doesn't change rapidly enough.

If you are doubting me send a note to Terry Keeley and ask him what his openion of your air density guage is. He's surely more qualified than we are about this subject.
Why make things so difficult??? Why would I want to use a guage meant for doing something else regardless of whatever "benchmark" number you start with. Use a density guage & be done with it. No offense to Terry but how is he "more qualified" on an air density gauge? A good quality a/d gauge, properly taken care of will do the job with minimum hassles.

Why make things so difficult??? Why would I want to use a guage meant for doing something else regardless of whatever "benchmark" number you start with. Use a density guage & be done with it. No offense to Terry but how is he "more qualified" on an air density gauge? A good quality a/d gauge, properly taken care of will do the job with minimum hassles.
Why, because it's more accurate. I have a Kensler air density guage too and I've had it right next to the altimeter/temp guages and watched it remain idle while the altimeter picked up a change. And why is Terry more qualified? Because his life depends on understanding it.

As for being dificult, my 11 year old daughter can calculate it. You can sharpen your pencil by reading up on it here.

Why, because it's more accurate. I have a Kensler air density guage too and I've had it right next to the altimeter/temp guages and watched it remain idle while the altimeter picked up a change. And why is Terry more qualitfied? because his life depends on understanding the subject.

You can read up on it here
Whatever trips your trigger Joe. I still think you're making things way too difficult as theories are great but results speak volumes. I'll keep using this simple little guage that has kept myself & many others who use one in the winners circle & record books. ;)

Why, because it's more accurate. I have a Kensler air density guage too and I've had it right next to the altimeter/temp guages and watched it remain idle while the altimeter picked up a change. And why is Terry more qualitfied? because his life depends on understanding the subject.

You can read up on it here
Whatever trips your trigger Joe. I still think you're making things way too difficult as theories are great but results speak volumes. I'll keep using this simple little guage that has kept myself & many others who use one in the winners circle & record books. ;)
This isn't a theory Don. It's the same method pilots use to calculate engine performance.

This isn't a theory Don. It's the same method pilots use to calculate engine performance.

I give up. If you go a page farther to the engine tuning calculator chart, read the paragraph written directly below it-

The atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity all affect the density of the air. On a hot day, or at high altitude, or on a moist day, the air is less dense. A reduction in air density reduces the amount of oxygen available for combustion and therefore reduces the engine horsepower and torque. For tweaking the fuel/air mixture, the air density is the most important consideration.

Yes, when flying airplanes knowing what changes occur at various altitudes are critical as the air is always different at different altitudes. But we are tuning little race engines, not flying airplanes. The pond site is not changing altitude. A change in actual air density relies on a couple factors occuring & does not change as quickly as you imply. You want to read air density use an air density guage, that's what they are designed for. <_<

And let me ask you this- do you go running and tweak your needles every time your altimeter twitches? :rolleyes:

I give up. If you go a page farther to the engine tuning calculator chart, read the paragraph written directly below it-

The atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity all affect the density of the air. On a hot day, or at high altitude, or on a moist day, the air is less dense. A reduction in air density reduces the amount of oxygen available for combustion and therefore reduces the engine horsepower and torque. For tweaking the fuel/air mixture, the air density is the most important consideration.

Yes, when flying airplanes knowing what changes occur at various altitudes are critical as the air is always different at different altitudes. But we are tuning little race engines, not flying airplanes. The pond site is not changing altitude. A change in actual air density relies on a couple factors occuring & does not change as quickly as you imply. You want to read air density use an air density guage, that's what they are designed for. <_<

Don, this comes straight from the BG site.

"The air density meter has been a long time standby for racers wishing to compare performance and air/fuel ratios against varying weather conditions. Changes in temperature and barometric pressure influence the meter to give racers a proportionate measurement to log against performance data"

If you actually understood what you were talking about you would realize that air density is made up of temp and pressure. According to the maker of your gauge, thay are measuring exactly what I've been talking about.It's just combining the two guages I use. An altimeter operates in the same manner as a berometer it's just abjustible.

"The air density meter has been a long time standby for racers wishing to compare performance and air/fuel ratios against varying weather conditions. Changes in temperature and barometric pressure influence the meter to give racers a proportionate measurement to log against performance data"

If you actually understood what you were talking about you would realize that air density is made up of temp and pressure. Your gauge is according to the maker of your gauge, thay are measuring exactly what I've been talking about. An altimeter operated in the same manner as a berometer it's just abjustible.
I do know what I'm talking about & you just said it & justified it, my guage does exactly what you are talking about. Done. End of arguement. Keep it simple & buy one guage made to do just that.

I use the altimeter 'cause it's familiar to me and I got it for a case of beer. :) I made a graph from a simple air density calculation and plot temperature vs. pressure altitude (altitude the altimeter reads when set to standard pressure of 29.92" Hg). Our London site is is probably around 700' (the airport elevation is 912' asl) and I've seen my altimeter read anywhere from 200-1200' depending on the air pressure. If you can find a good barometer you can get the same results, in fact Gary Preusse uses one with a thermometer and a chart and we consistently get the same air density.

One thing my way and the density gauge doesn't do is factor in humidity. When testing for the Nats in Jackson two years ago I noticed that with our higher elevation and low temperature I got the same air density as Jackson's low elevation and higher temp, but there was no way I could pull the same prop, the reason was all the water in the air. :(

If you actually understood what you were talking about you would realize that air density is made up of temp and pressure. Your gauge is according to the maker of your gauge, thay are measuring exactly what I've been talking about. An altimeter operated in the same manner as a berometer it's just abjustible.
I do know what I'm talking about & you just said it & justified it, my guage does exactly what you are talking about. Done. End of arguement. Keep it simple & buy one guage made to do just that.
Don, my original response to the author of this post was offering an alternative that may be within the price range they were seeking. If you review that post, I stated that you can get what you need with an altimeter and a thermometer. I have less than $50.00 in the two gauges and they are both have Mil-Spec quality and calibration.

Latest posts

Back