AC sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Canto

Supporting Member
Hello everyone. I am putting an AC sport 40 together and would like any input you may have. Although I have been racing for many years, I have no experience with the sport boats. I will be using a MAC 45. I would appreciate any prop/pipe/set-up input you may have.

Thanks

Eric

i just picked up an ac sport 40 from Charley Howarth you should talk to him he knows his boat stuff

not2bright said:
i just picked up an ac sport 40 from Charley Howarth you should talk to him he knows his boat stuff
76143[/snapback]

I am good, aren't I??? :lol:

Eric.. Get in touch with Brian Watts at Rockety City Racing.. They run some very fast AC Sport 40's down there.. I believe the strut should be set 1" from the bottom of the boat. I was able to run any prop from 450/3 to 1455/3. Add weight to the nose if it gets light..

Charley

i currenlty run the pro 40 II it's a hard to beat boat with the proper set up. the instructions state that the strut should be 7/8 from the bottom. also very important is blue printing the sponson bottom 2" from the edge make them perfectly flat.i found that the parapolic pipe works really well @10.250 you can even go down to 9.750. i believe that the strut should have a negative angle 1 degree i found that when the strut is at 0 Deg @7/8" the nose is a little high strut angle is one area that i will experiment with next year the props that work well are 450/3 and 2 1455/3 with a little pitch too much angle and the nose will dig in. 447/3 in rough water is a killer prop. i have a few motor and pipe combos that i want to try so i wont let the cat out of the bag yet :ph34r: :D :D

Another prop for the MAC would be an X646/3, that's the one I was told to use when I contacted CMD about some good choices.

I really appreciate all of the input that you guys have given me. I have seen both the AC and the Phil Thomas hull run at quite a few races. It did not seem as though one is "better" than the other, but, as with any boat, set-up and driving seemed to make the biggest differences. I will tell you that I have spent quite a few races at the end of the front straight with a radar gun and the heat race speeds of sport 40's is no where near the speeds everyone claims. Of course this is true of any class. Thanks again for the help.

Eric

Eric,

I have measured speeds up here in District # 2 in actual heat racing like you

have stated, and we are seeing mid 50's with some of the faster boats. A few

are in the 60+MPH range however. I use a Stalker Pro for a radar gun so I

think it is pretty accurate. I find the speed difference in testing is usually on

clean smooth water, versuses actual race water being quite a bit rougher. On

the smooth water the propeller must be hooked up rather well,as in the race

water the boats are flying a lot more and the propellers are coming out of the

water more, and this would make for the huge speed difference.

Interesting, :D

Mark Sholund

Thanks for the reply Mark. I use the Stalker Pro also. I test it regularly with the tuning fork to make sure it is accurate. I have clocked some sport 40's at the speeds you posted, but, never during a heat race. It really is amazing how speeds drop off in all the classes under race conditions.

Eric

Back