AC Sport 40 prop choices

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_Nelsen

Ok I just purchased a AC sport 40 and am wondering what props will work best for it. I has a CMB purple head CAM engine in it and a cooper pipe.

Thanks

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran an X-646/3 pitched up to whatever your engine will handle.....typically around 3.2-3.4"

I ran a Mac 45 in mine. Stock pitch on an Octura 646/3 is 2.896" and will work fine but a little prop work does wonders......

Some people run X-447/3's and X-450/3's and they work fine as well but the 646/3 always launched better and was easier to throttle at the start line.

The X-646/3 also lets the engine rev.....

We run the same engine as you in our AC Hull. The best prop for us has been a stock X450 3 blade sharpened and balanced. Perry

Brian: I cut my previous post too short. Wanted to mention that I switch between a MAC and a CMB in my AC and Phil Thomas hulls. I find that the MAC likes a X646/3 or a X747/3 but the CMB really likes the X450/3. My son and I have played with the two hulls and the two engines switching them back and forth but can't get one to run faster then the other no matter what engine or prop we use. It always comes down to who is driving the best on a particular day which increasingly seems to be my son Mark. Interesting. Perry

Thanks for all the help so far.

What you have given me I already have in my prop box so the testing should be easy. I hope to get to the pong this week with it.

Thanks Again

Brian

Its all about trial and error, what works for one may not work for another, I run a Muck 40 with CMB 45, ops 60 pipe @ 11" using a X452/3 best prop for that motor and pipe set-up on my boat.

450/3 prop. & If you bought the rocketcity racing turn fin kit you can gain speed by cutting the trailing edge off the turn fin off. ( make the turn fin more narrow). Adjust the boat by following the set up sheet & add strut angle if the hull is too loose.

Joe

Thanks allot, that helps. I need to get the set up instruction as I purchased the boat used. Well like new but run a few times. It had a 45 OPS in it when I got it.

I just gotta get ahold of the instruction. Any one have an electronic copy?

Brian

Brian,

I have an AC Sport 40, series 2 for a few years now. Has run awesome right out of the box. I run an OPS 45 + OS 8B Carb, w/ a Muck pipe at full length. Prop....X450 2 blade, stock. The 3 blade x450 runs just about the same, but took me longer to spool up to speed after slowing down. The combo I mentioned gives me instant throttle response.

Strut (speedmaster square, not round) is set at just shy of 1" from bottom of transom, w about a 2 degree angle.

The secret of the hull, as I was told by Andy from AC Boats himself, is to get a turn fin for this hull from Brian Watts of Rocket City Racing, and bolt it on perfectly straight. It handles on rails. Above strut setting is also from Brian. Rudder is Speedmaster 21 hydro rudder, mounted on left, again at depth per Brian.

Did you find instructions? I may be able to dig out the sheets from AC w/ Brian's mods and scan + e-mail if you have not located. Brian Watts may also have these for you.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Joe

Thanks allot, that helps. I need to get the set up instruction as I purchased the boat used. Well like new but run a few times. It had a 45 OPS in it when I got it.

Brian

Brian,

I have an AC Sport 40, series 2 for a few years now. Has run awesome right out of the box. I run an OPS 45 + OS 8B Carb, w/ a Muck pipe at full length. Prop....X450 2 blade, stock. The 3 blade x450 runs just about the same, but took me longer to spool up to speed after slowing down. The combo I mentioned gives me instant throttle response.

Strut (speedmaster square, not round) is set at just shy of 1" from bottom of transom, w about a 2 degree angle.

The secret of the hull, as I was told by Andy from AC Boats himself, is to get a turn fin for this hull from Brian Watts of Rocket City Racing, and bolt it on perfectly straight. It handles on rails. Above strut setting is also from Brian. Rudder is Speedmaster 21 hydro rudder, mounted on left, again at depth per Brian.

Did you find instructions? I may be able to dig out the sheets from AC w/ Brian's mods and scan + e-mail if you have not located. Brian Watts may also have these for you.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Joe

Brian
David Thanks a ton for the information I will try to contact Brian about the turnfin. I am pretty sure the one on it is not his. If you have time please make the scans and e-mail what ever information you have. I know my strut is not a speedmaster so I may change that as well.

Thanks

Brian

Latest posts

Back