abs hull, epoxy/glue removal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlwolf

i was wondering if anyone has a good tip for removing a glued in motor mount on a abs hull in a kyosho viper with out harming the hull? ???

How about using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel? Just take off what you need to.

May I ask why you want to do it? I'm kinda nosy. : :)

Stlwolf, getting a cutoff wheel into the hull might be hard; I would try a small cutter in a dermal tool. It is easier to control in small areas. It looks like the straps are heat staked in though. If that is the case, you can either use a soldering iron & melt the stake off, or heat up a flat head screwdriver & use it a chisel to remove it.

Try this. Balance the hull precariously close to the edge of you kitchen table, go answer the phone, and let your cat knock the boat onto the floor. It worked for me... > :(

As for the Dremel, this right angle attachment is one of the best tool investments I've made. If you don't have one, GET ONE!

now there's a familiar view. ;D

That's the same hull I'm useing on my rebuild.

This is how you get the crap out:

Get your dremmel out. cut down as much as you can with the cutting tool shown in PJ's pic.

Then you switch to a roundhead grinding tool and grind down as much as you dare very carefully. Take the ugly big radiobox out to while you're at it.

you don't need one on an electric boat anyway, and it's no good as a radiobox fow a gas engine.

voila. a clean empty hull.

if you are realy carefull the whole thing can be torn out. it's only glued in and not glued on the entire surface. But you risk damageing the hull this way.

then you switch back to the cutting tool again and cut off that uggly skeg thing around the shaft.

Back to the grinding tool and grind down the edges. Sand down the last part to make it smooth and avoid makeing ugly marks in your hull. (I did :p )

Put some tape over the hull on the outside and use fiberglass to seal the hole from the inside.

8)

hey ron, not being nosey, i want to use a cooling coil on the motor, no room with that mount, so instead of a cradel/strap mount, i plan on using lite ply rails and face mount it, btw has anyone taken an esc from a truck and drilled(the one i have is from a trx rustler) the heat sinks so u could run a tube through all the fins and water cool it? i plan on drilling where the black dots are in the pic.

finne- what kind of drive set-up are u running? anyone have any pics of there viper set-ups? ???

I'm going to use a surface drive strudder.

I saw a pic of another viper here on the forum, but I can't remember what thread it was in.

check in the "this electric stuff is fun" thread. someone posted a pic of his viper transom setup there.

Back