? about 12 cell tunnel class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
I was wondering what the statis of this class was? I heard they were going to make it a spec motor class. I was hoping to build a tunnel for Dick Crowe to set a record with in staight line. He would be running a brushed setup. If the class does not exist, then there is no point. Anyone know?

Mike

[SIZE=21pt]OOOOPS I meant brushless setup.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys in Wisconsin and Minnesota are planning on experimenting with a "Limited" OPC class at their two races this summer. The same 700 motors used in the Limited Sport Hydro will be used(along with 12 cells).

http://www.madisonrcboats.org/classic/

It isn't an offical class.

I doubt a brushed motor will out run BL power in the existing OPC class (any motor-12 cells). Build the boat anyhow. Just have Dick strap a Hacker onto the transom!

KW

Dick has already put the brushless on the tunnel I built last year. As he was blowing off he was doing 54 on the GPS. He was using a boat that the design limits on speed are about 45 mph. He needs an A mod type boat that is ultralight and will stay on the water. Easily do able. Just don't want to waste my time if there is no class to run the record in.

Mike

Mike, no worries the OPC class (open motor) is still active in NAMBA for records, it's just not to popular anymore. The records will be open at this years SAW in LA or anywhere else, so build away! :D

The Spec OPC class was first proposed by the Seattle clubs and is part of there regular club racing schedule. It's not an official NAMBA class, but we may see it on the ballot for next year as a new class or to replace the current OPC class.

See that is what I am worry about. If it replaces the class then all records are gone. If they just add it, not a problem.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I always figure the reward is in the Challenge. You could also look at this way, if Dick sets a new record in OPC and the rules are changed, your record will never be broken! ;)

The only time T Hydro is ever run anymore is at the SAW, no one runs it even at the Nats, it doesn't stop the JAG team coming from Germany every year to up their record.

There is no proposal on the table for a new class or a rule change that I am aware of. We have not dropped a single electric class that I'm aware of, nor has one been changed that would eliminate the records.

Any class can be changed from one year to the next, why worry about it. Build it and smash the record, will the accomplishment be any less sweet if the rules are changed the next year? It hasn't stopped others from chasing the OPC record, why worry about what could be?

If there is a new proposal to change the current OPC class to a spec class, I would support it, it could be the breath of life OPC needs to become a popular class in electric again. In the meantime, I will be prepping my OPC for the Nats this year.

We'll be the first race (outside of the NW) running Spec OPC.

7 boats entered even though no one has one in the water yet. I'm sure others will quickly follow.

I think it's a good way to rejuvenate the class and I have no idea why OPC isn't popular. They look cool and are much easier to build. I understand tweaking setup is tricky, but will I will know about that soon.

Get 'em started at half the cost and then move on to more power and higher speeds.

It works for drug dealers, should work for us too. LOL

I hope to have mine in the water Monday.

Back