A new Tunnel boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VansRacing

There seems to be a new tunnel boat in the works out there somewhere that is supposedly designed with the help and guidance of legend boat builders like Tommy Lee and Rod Geraghty and a few others...think again before you believe this and buy one of these boats. Just a heads up for you guys that want to keep your nose clean.

(See below)

Rod,

There has been a rumor going around for some time now that you and Tommy Lee are in on the design of a new tunnel boat and that someone in Florida is setting it up to run right now for testing.

Just a heads up for you, if you don't have anything to do with it...you may want to check into it. I felt like it was bull when I heard about it and these guys are probably using your names to promote it and to get people excited about it.

If it is so, that's is great! We need some new designs out there. But, if not...it may not be so good especially if is a dog boat.

Just a heads up for you. Hope you are doing well.

-Carl Van Houten,

Carl,

First of all......What guys?????Give me a name or names.

I am sure I can speak for Tommy as well as myself.That rumor is a total,unadulterated,piled very high smelly line of lumpy horse SXXT!

Neither Tommy or I have any interest in building any boats for sale or for that matter for someone else to use[other than David Hall].We are out of the "boat building" business forever.

The only boat that we would ever consider putting any time into at all would be another .12 SAW boat just to see if we could come up with something that was a little better.We wouldn't even consider that until we were totally convinced there is nothing left in the .12 boat we are presently running.

Even then,we talk about it and we just go lay down for a half an hour and that urge also goes away.

That being said.....are we doing some motor/prop research?You bet we are!!!! ;)

Feel free to cut and paste this message and post it anywhere you like.

Rod Geraghty

Last edited by a moderator:
Even then,we talk about it and we just go lay down for a half an hour and that urge also goes away.
Now that is funny but so true. ;)

looks like barnstormerboats is trying to get into bulding tunnels i seen one on ebay this past week. looks like a modified dumas hot shot,but says its a fiberglass construction so maybe it might the boat you are looking for. dont know never seen one of these boats before?just my 2 cents dont want to hurt anyone feelings either.for all i know this boat might have been around for a while.

allen

Well Im always amazed at what people come up with. To use those two names is bold to say the least ;)

Was the reference to "co designed or inspired" Not defending anyone, Just wondering how they could pull something like that off :blink:

Gener B)

There seems to be a new tunnel boat in the works out there somewhere that is supposedly designed with the help and guidance of legend boat builders like Tommy Lee and Rod Geraghty and a few others...think again before you believe this and buy one of these boats. Just a heads up for you guys that want to keep your nose clean.

(See below)

Rod,

There has been a rumor going around for some time now that you and Tommy Lee are in on the design of a new tunnel boat and that someone in Florida is setting it up to run right now for testing.

Just a heads up for you, if you don't have anything to do with it...you may want to check into it. I felt like it was bull when I heard about it and these guys are probably using your names to promote it and to get people excited about it.

If it is so, that's is great! We need some new designs out there. But, if not...it may not be so good especially if is a dog boat.

Just a heads up for you. Hope you are doing well.

-Carl Van Houten,

Carl,

First of all......What guys?????Give me a name or names.

I am sure I can speak for Tommy as well as myself.That rumor is a total,unadulterated,piled very high smelly line of lumpy horse SXXT!

Neither Tommy or I have any interest in building any boats for sale or for that matter for someone else to use[other than David Hall].We are out of the "boat building" business forever.

The only boat that we would ever consider putting any time into at all would be another .12 SAW boat just to see if we could come up with something that was a little better.We wouldn't even consider that until we were totally convinced there is nothing left in the .12 boat we are presently running.

That being said.....are we doing some motor/prop research?You bet we are!!!! ;)

Feel free to cut and paste this message and post it anywhere you like.

Rod Geraghty
HEY CARL AND ROD , MAN I AM SO GLADE TO SEE YOU POST THIS INFO, IT IS HELL WHEN A PERSON OR PERSON.S DO NOT HAVE THE KNOLEDGE TO DESIGN THERE OWN PART /PARTS CARL I THINK YOU WILL RELATE TO THIS . IN 2002 I WAS HELPING A FELLOW IN JACKSON TEN. DESIGN HIS NEW BOAT FOR 2003( YOU DID NOTICE U HAVE NOT USED HIS NAME ) NOW THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN THE 3RD BOAT I HAD HELPED HIM WITH . ONE DAY ( 2002) I RECEIVED A CALL THAT THIS GUY WAS HAVING SOMEONE ELSE BUILD THE DIES FOR HIM , AND HE WAS MAKING A DIRECT COPY OF MY OUTBOARD PIPES .I CONFRONTED HIM WITH TYHIS , HIS RESPONCE WAS , NO I WOULD NEVER DO A THING LIKE THAT . WELL I RECEIVED ANOUTHER CALL AND THIS GUY INSISTED I GIVE HIM MY PATTEN NUMBERS , WELL I GAVE HIM SOMETHING ,? BUT IT SHURE AS HELL WAS NOT ANY PATTEN NUMBERS . THE GUY THAT WAS HAVING A TOOLMAKER MAKE THE DIES FOR HIM , MUST HAVE GOTTEN COLD FEET , AS YOU WELL KNOW THE PIPES ARE OFF JUST A LITTLE . WELL THIS I WILL TELL ANYONE , THERE IS NOW A LAW THAT WILL PROTECT THE ORGINAL BUILDER , YOU CAN NOW GET A COPY RIGHT FOR $500.00 BUCKS .( LIFETIME) IF YOU SEE A BIG "O" WTIH A SMALL "c" INSERTED IN THE O YOU BETTER HAVE A DAMMED BIG BANK ACCOUNT

O YES . I STILL HAVE A NONE COMPETE THIS GUY SIGNED , HE MUST HAVE FOREGOTTEN ABOUT .

looks like barnstormerboats is trying to get into bulding tunnels i seen one on ebay this past week. looks like a modified dumas hot shot,but says its a fiberglass construction so maybe it might the boat you are looking for. dont know never seen one of these boats before?just my 2 cents dont want to hurt anyone feelings either.for all i know this boat might have been around for a while.

allen
The boat Barnstormer is selling is one of the Hydro Sport Tunnel hulls. I think it was called the whistler or something like that.

Brian

THE WHEELS ON THE BUS GO "ROUND & ROUND" ALL THRU THE TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
arg-rf-school-bus-bg2-url.gif

Hey.............Hey.................Stop the bus Ole'Man, I want off!!

This is the last time you Drive!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Josh

aka - The New Bus Driver!

Rod Geraghty

On last boat building project I forgot to tell Carl about.It just plain slipped my mind.[Hey Hopper ,I have not given up on this and I promise your pipes will get a good ringing out before we are done.]

I did recently build a B/C mod-tunnel SAW boat that I test ran for the first time in early October.I had ran the boats design past Tommy and David for their input and none of us ever gave a thought that it would be a complete disaster at its initial launching.Aero-dynamically the boat is about as clean as you can make a tunnel boat,but hydro-dynamically it turned out to be a nightmare.It is easily fixed but I had no idea that conventional tunnels needed this hydro-dynamic crutch to work.

The new boat is a very strange design but it will work well as soon as I make the necessary changes to the hull.I am in the process of making those changes right now for testing in the spring.

After 30 years of doing this I thought there was nothing "big" left in tunnel design to bite me in the ass.Well,I was dead wrong.Something that is there,on all conventional tunnel boats,that we never gave a thought to,I purposely removed without ever giving it a thought that is was necessary.Well, once again I have learned something.

When the ice comes off the pond in late march the boat will hit the water again.

Rod Geraghty

Note:After experiencing this phenomon,a lot of previously recognized little handling & launching hiccups are now explained and much better understood.

Rod, I feel your pain. I worked on one for a month and never got it to do what I wanted it to do.

It drove me NUTS! One great run and 25 DNF's :ph34r:

I had to put it down for a while. It's fun...I think?????

-Carl,

Somebody is going to the "BIG HOUSE" again!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p .........3 HOTS AND A COTE!!!!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL IN THE BIG HOUSE

Boy OL' Boy isnt boat racing just BIG FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

:ph34r:

Latest posts

Back