A lot Of Tunnels Out There

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baxter Walton

In the .20 Tunnel class could some one give me a list of all the tunnels that are being made. My main tunnel that I will run next year will be a Lee Craft. But I want a back up Tunnel as well. What are my choices? I have seen Cobra, vision, Lynx, If you all can post a pic of them as well would be good, to bad there is not a guide with all the competitive tunnels that are being built by some awesome ppl. Or a review of each. Sorry for so many questions,, Just coming back, and want to know whats what, And I'm sure a lot has changed since I've been gone ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Baxter, Just my opinion, the TS3 is a very good hull & resonably priced too. But, if I was to ever get back into Tunnels again; I'd become very good friends with Mic Halbredher and see if he has one of his Hulls - hangin in the rafters somewhere.. You wouldn't be disapointed.. JMO... B)

Rod for sure, The HTB is My 40 Tunnel I have been running them from the start when Mark first started making them. I think that I bought my first one back in 1998 or 99.

Ted thanks for the pat on the back but I have never built a .21 that will come close to what I consider the 4 best choices. Your remembering the Glory Days of district 6. That old 45 hull is still winning but 25+ years of setup and many changes are giving way to some new ideas and just better mouse traps.

Not in any order TS3,Lynx,Vision and HTB. Cobra ?? The old attage you get what you pay for applies here. Lynx and Vision dominate here in the southeast and Charleston which has the toughest tunnel classes. Baxter you don't need a list just listen to the people who are winning consistently on a national level. I took a break from 1997-2007 and bought a lot of stuff when Jay and I returned to racing. What I learned was I spent way too much money looking for instant results and have sold off most everything since. It also took a couple years to get back into a driving rythem. Jays lynx with a Drake Nova Rossi will run with anything out there. Ask 3 time World Tunnel champion Randy Primo and you'll get Lynx/Nova. We keep track of lap times at our Storm races in Brandon and Randy hasn't run the fastest time but is a fox on the drivers stand. We have clocked 25-27 second 2 lap times with several boats that heat race the same day. You don't need a Nova to win either. Mark Leyde's converted GO motor he sells reasonably looks like a Nova clone and we have recorded mid 13 second laps consistently on a Vision. Now a warmed over Nova by Drake is better but cost a lot more. Jay took the newest Vision to the Internats 2 years ago and won a US-1 in B mod with an OS Max and 3 days later put the stock muffler back on the same boat and won the Sport B class. Bottom line is you just are not going to buy your way into the winners circle. If you have time to test and work on setup many good hulls can win. The fastest way is to run what the consistant winners run and listen to what they tell you and do not out think them. You will see post after post on Billy Bobs XYZ hull just won Podunk. The biggest cross section of hulls show up at Charleston and in the top 3 in each class over time you will find what you seek. Even there on a give day someone will win out of the norm. The lee Crafts had their day and still do well. They are dinosoars in the east. A few remain quick but not dominant. When I see guys like Eric Bourlet and Joe Monohan running Lynx and Shamans I know the west coast is changing. We all talk a little smack but we are here to help you. But if you want to beat yourself we will stand and watch too. In all the years I have done this I have beat myself far more than anyone else.

Mic

Thanks for the info Mic! I am a seasoned driver, and motor builder, just want to know whats going on since I have been gone. Looking around I think that the Vision will be a better fit for me. I ran with Joe, The Lees that we build are very strong runners, one of which won this years NAMBA Nats, still had to be driven. I appreciate your input and I will order a vision boat, and modify a 35+ motor to push it. I will post Radar results from testing and post my set up as well. Thanks.

Thanks for the info Mic! I am a seasoned driver, and motor builder, just want to know whats going on since I have been gone. Looking around I think that the Vision will be a better fit for me. I ran with Joe, The Lees that we build are very strong runners, one of which won this years NAMBA Nats, still had to be driven. I appreciate your input and I will order a vision boat, and modify a 35+ motor to push it. I will post Radar results from testing and post my set up as well. Thanks.
Good choice - Baxter.. Vision, nice Hull, but I can't stand that cowel it has..... :p

Good choice - Baxter.. Vision, nice Hull, but I can't stand that cowel it has..... :p
I think I saw where he re-did the cowel?

The Vision is a great choice especially if you like an agressive driving style. The boat works in and out of the turns really well. For a lower I am sold the OS is "better" than anthing made. The prop shaft stays true and wears like iron. The skeg is stiffer than a lawless and it tracks better. Grim has told us for years the trim separate from or behind the hinge pin is a better mousetrap and I am convinced that little difference is why they just handle better. You won't be running your LeeCraft much after you drive the Vision. The Lee's are fast in perfect conditions but won't handle water as well.

Mic

The Vision is a great choice especially if you like an agressive driving style. The boat works in and out of the turns really well. For a lower I am sold the OS is "better" than anthing made. The prop shaft stays true and wears like iron. The skeg is stiffer than a lawless and it tracks better. Grim has told us for years the trim separate from or behind the hinge pin is a better mousetrap and I am convinced that little difference is why they just handle better. You won't be running your LeeCraft much after you drive the Vision. The Lee's are fast in perfect conditions but won't handle water as well.

Mic
I agree.. Vision is a good handeling hull. Just don't like the swoop in the cowl. One thing about the T3 cowl's is how it looks.. Probably why I like your Hull's Mic.. They always looked like the real Tunnels. :)

The Vision is a great choice especially if you like an aggressive driving style. The boat works in and out of the turns really well. For a lower I am sold the OS is "better" than anthing made. The prop shaft stays true and wears like iron. The skeg is stiffer than a lawless and it tracks better. Grim has told us for years the trim separate from or behind the hinge pin is a better mousetrap and I am convinced that little difference is why they just handle better. You won't be running your LeeCraft much after you drive the Vision. The Lee's are fast in perfect conditions but won't handle water as well.

Mic
oh yes I am very aggressive, but only when I need to be, like jumping the start, or being behind, I dont like using that word much lol but it happens lol

Mic
I think that wider plate on the lawless brings a big change as to how the Lee handles, the standard plate does not work well at all. proven in testing as well as racing. Do not use those side fins on it, you have to cut them off!

For years I have cut cavitation plates down just leaving enough to hold the water pickup. The only time I don't is to comply with sport class rules. A wide plate will collect water force and act as a crutch for handling issues that could be cured with trim and props. If a cav plate touches hard surface water in a turn it will lift the boat in the rear on the inside edge and roll it over. Widen it and it will amplify that situation. The Vision works best with an OS lower. Others will work but why not use the best availiable.

Mic

For years I have cut cavitation plates down just leaving enough to hold the water pickup. The only time I don't is to comply with sport class rules. A wide plate will collect water force and act as a crutch for handling issues that could be cured with trim and props. If a cav plate touches hard surface water in a turn it will lift the boat in the rear on the inside edge and roll it over. Widen it and it will amplify that situation. The Vision works best with an OS lower. Others will work but why not use the best availiable.

Mic
This is just what worked best we The Lee craft, made it very stable and super fast in the turns, I have never rolled my boat in a race, may have blew over a time or two, but thats about it. We also used a 707 wider adopter plate for the K&B lower ends with no performance issues. Remember these results are from years of racing and testing with the Lee Craft, as for other boats seems like the OS lower is the way to go. If your plate digs in too much in a turn the you have not set the boat before the turn, which will result in rolling your boat. the boat should be on the front ride pads while cornering, most ppl go in too hot and do not set the boat before interning a turn, loosing turn speed.

Here is my collection of boats....

tunnelboatcollection.jpg

You keep going and you will have half as many tunnels as Beasley does one day!!!!!...... ;) Thats a nice collection of boats.

Aha yes the dredded Tommy Tipover..

Im not sure setting the boat helps that much.. the XTR21 for instance rolls over near or past the apex.

I have a new XT460 hull.. sence my Rinker got smoked this last weekend it might have to come out to play.

Grim

Back