a ? for phil thomas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

phil, i'm retrofitting a stealth cowl to one of you older boats for a friend of mine. the rear 5" of the cowl that is removed and hard mounted to the hull is a little to short so i was thinking about laying up some glass and resin to make a new longer piece. my question is can i do this on a smooth suface like formica or glass to geta smooth surface on the outside? should i use polyester or epoxy. if epoxy, does it have to be finishing resin? any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

You can use a glass plate or formica Just use some wax on it so the resin wont stick. unless you have some epoxy poly resin is cheaper. Epoxy Finishing resin is ok use three or four lays of 6oz cloth to give it the strengh required.

Or you can send me $10 and ill make you a rear deck.

OK when you get the part made add some formers to the bottom of it to match the cowl. The rear deck on the boat isnt flat, it has a slight curve to it.

ya i noticed that today. should i put a little crown in the formers and then glue them on?

phil, i used the glass plate to make the tail piece we've been talking about and it came out great. the surface was super shiny with no waves what so ever. i didn't have 6 oz cloth so i used 6 layers of some lighter stuff i had on hand and i used the polyester resin because i didn't have enough epoxy. i just wanted to say thanks. it's not that often that you can converse with the builder either online or on the phone. thanks again. carl

Back