7.5 OUTBOARD ENGINE (WHAT'S HOT, WHAT'S NOT)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as mod motors go, Ernie Lafluers CMB setup with an RS or Evo 2 is top notch. I love mine.

Next would be the new Nelson from John Otto. I'm actually not sure which would be the fastest.I have the newest Nelson mounted to test soon. I've heard good things about it. Time will tell.

For hulls,The HTB 360 is a great heat boat and the 340 is also a fine sport boat. Woodstuff also builds really nice tunnels.As does Leecraft and a few others that I'm sure will be mentioned soon. I really do like my Woodstuffs because Mike will build a boat @34", 36",38" and 40" for 7.5s.I think the CMBs have enough power and do require a larger boat. I have the 38" version for my CMBs. Keep in mind Ernie won the nats with a 40" Woodstuff /CMB package this year.

For a sport motor, K&B seems to be the only game in town.

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing a new Nelson Long Stroke run at the Tunnel Champs, I bought one to replace my CMB conversion. Its that fast. Now Walt has it.

~James

Cannot argue the reliability or power of a CMB. Ernie and Mark Hopper's are as fast as anyone. A good 17mm 8702 K&B got us to the TQ position in 45 and open tunnel at Charleston. The new Nelsons we have are faster but not as reliable yet. I like these powerheads because they are lighter and in my opinion will handle better in turns. The construction of the Neson is 1st class and it weighs the same as the K&B. Both came from aircraft roots. I believe Henry Nelson all but owns the 500 class in aviation. Don't overlook a Rossi 45 either. Not my personal favorite because it is heavy but well built. Chris Whittrig and Jimmy Johnson & Mark Grim are very fast with Rossi's. With proper set up and maintenence all 4 brands can get you in the points. Certain racers are just going to be fast with anything they put time into. What you see blistering down the straightaway may not win the race.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my new nelson, it's way faster than rs45 and it wasn't slow or stock!

shane

Looks like I'll be putting this on a 34 WOF, so the stock K&B might be the way to go. I think the others might be to powerful. What do you all think? Thanks

John

john,

i just finished a wof 34 and i am running a k&b 8702 with a pipe and it is running very well. the heavier the motor is in the back the more lead in the front. the cmb conversions that i have seen that run well have all been on 36" boats or larger.

chris

SO here's the question.... who's selling the new Nelson motor? I ran my tunnels with the CMB rs with very good luck. My engine was mounted on a Jim Irwin set up. The mount broke and I decided to sell the motors. I'm now looking for a good motor to replace my CMB, but I want something that bolts right on the k&b lower...

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Latest posts

Back