50" Cat Motor Recommendation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ub Hauled

I usually know enough to stay outta trouble, but being new to huge setups I decided that investing first and then have to re-invest is not the way to go.

I have acquired a 50" cat (Expresscraft Thunderbolt), it scales in at +-8.5lbs as per the manufacture, I have not weight it yet.

I am thinking 10s, single NEU xxxx, and a Hydra 180 HV (or Phoenix 110 HV), obviously I'd like it to kick some major butt, ye not break my bank or get divorced...

I noticed the NEU 22xx came down considerably in price, it makes me wonder what is coming down the pipe... but regardless, I think the 2215 may be a good choice... or is it?! There are also the Lehners 30xx series... good contender.

Can anyone chime in please?

I usually know enough to stay outta trouble, but being new to huge setups I decided that investing first and then have to re-invest is not the way to go.I have acquired a 50" cat (Expresscraft Thunderbolt), it scales in at +-8.5lbs as per the manufacture, I have not weight it yet.

I am thinking 10s, single NEU xxxx, and a Hydra 180 HV (or Phoenix 110 HV), obviously I'd like it to kick some major butt, ye not break my bank or get divorced...

I noticed the NEU 22xx came down considerably in price, it makes me wonder what is coming down the pipe... but regardless, I think the 2215 may be a good choice... or is it?! There are also the Lehners 30xx series... good contender.

Hi There i'm building a 52 in monohull 3 1/2 kg the 180hv would be too small i think you need at least the 240hv and that would be the limit for that esc

http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Boat_motors.html

this is what steve neu recomends and be aware there is no warranty with the setup you are looking at

i hope this helps some

Adrian

You lready know what I'm going to say:

2230 or 3080

10S2P

Schulze 40.160

qkdrw25 wrote:

this is what steve neu recomends and be aware there is no warranty with the setup you are looking at

Just FYI, that table was done for Steve by Brian Buaas

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually know enough to stay outta trouble, but I have acquired a 50" cat (Expresscraft Thunderbolt), it scales in at +-8.5lbs as per the manufacture, I have not weight it yet.I am thinking 10s, single NEU xxxx, and a Hydra 180 HV (or Phoenix 110 HV), obviously I'd like it to kick some major butt, ye not break my bank or get divorced...

Bro, sorry to hear that you have completely lost your mind . [ If you install a seat and oars, we could add it to the rescue boat fleet at the lake ! :)

T-Bone

Several guys in my club are running large cats (42"-44") with the 2215 and Castle 240HV without trouble. With your even-larger boat I'd recommend the 2230. If you don't get too greedy that setup should be very reliable.

One word of caution to anyone running the Hydra HVs - don't run them 1P. If you draw too many amps the 1P packs will not supply enough power and the Hydras will cook. This happened to a couple of the club members - don't let it happen to you. The Schulze 40-160 may handle 1P better, and is cheaper than buying another 10S pack. But IMO you just can't get the raw power you want out of a big 10S cat with just 1P.

My own setup - Stryker cat, Lehner 3060/10, Schulze 40-160, TP-10S2P/9000 mAh. Mid-60s recorded in oval races.

Jay T

One word of caution to anyone running the Hydra HVs - don't run them 1P. If you draw too many amps the 1P packs will not supply enough power and the Hydras will cook. This happened to a couple of the club members - don't let it happen to you. The Schulze 40-160 may handle 1P better, and is cheaper than buying another 10S pack. But IMO you just can't get the raw power you want out of a big 10S cat with just 1P.

That's kinda funny since I have been running my 1/8th scale on 1P on the HV for the past half year. Pett 360 on 10S1P. It's much lesser amp draw than a neu 22 or lener 30' size cans. Did the HV's that went up have both leads soldered together? I often worry about those large gauge wires going to multiple boards.

Either way a 10S cat is still gonna be costly. If you want to keep it at 1P I would go with the smaller motor. And really really watch your run time.

That's kinda funny since I have been running my 1/8th scale on 1P on the HV for the past half year...
I don't consider burning up $540 contollers 'funny'. I won't recommend something that I know has demonstrated major risks. One man's experience is interesting; multiple similar experiences prove something. BTW Castle does not recommend high-amp use of any of their Hydras on 1P. YMMV. Good luck....

With speeds in the mid 60's, what run-time are you getting?
In a one mile heat including a mill lap - around 2 minutes - I burn up 4500 mAh. Propped down to 55 mph and I use 3800 mAh. This is in choppy race water with a ~10 mph wind. Biggest problem is trying to drive around all those slow gas cats.....

Biggest problem is trying to drive around all those slow gas cats.....
That's funny!

Well... I am going to try a 3060/10 (since I have it), 10s1p (9800mAh), a 200amp

ESC and a smaller prop...

LOL Slow gas boats, now that is funny.

I think the 'fuel' guys over here are seeing what FE can do in the last 12 months. Now we just need more FE guys to turn up at the big events and everyone will be happy :D

BTW thats Only 50% of capacity, so you have room to prop up? :p

Biggest problem is trying to drive around all those slow gas cats.....
That's funny!

Well... I am going to try a 3060/10 (since I have it), 10s1p (9800mAh), a 200amp

ESC and a smaller prop...

I forgot you had that. It should be fine. I'd start with a 460/3 and go up from there. I ran ine with a 465 and a 665, both worked with no undue heat issues. Do not try a 1475 pitched WAAAY up, ask me how I know.

I forgot you had that. It should be fine. I'd start with a 460/3 and go up from there. I ran ine with a 465 and a 665, both worked with no undue heat issues. Do not try a 1475 pitched WAAAY up, ask me how I know.
HAHA, I guess the same way all of us find out when there is too much prop....

Can someone tell me about ABC props? I am looking for a few props and I really wanna try ABC. I wrote them an email and had no luck with answers,

I'm hoping for 1/4 shaft for this big cat and something for my 3/16 shaft scale hydro.

I'd appreciate any input.

I suggest setting it up with 1/4-inch flex with the prop shaft stepped down to 3/16ths. You can use a shim to run 1/4 inch props when you want to and have the flexibility to use all the smaller props as well.

I don't know anything about ABC props, sorry.

I don't consider burning up $540 contollers 'funny'.
Get a sense of humor Jay. I know of 2 setups using 1P on a HV180 that work without a hitch. I was stating hard facts. So yeah I think it is kinda funny.

I don't consider burning up $540 contollers 'funny'.
Get a sense of humor Jay. I know of 2 setups using 1P on a HV180 that work without a hitch. I was stating hard facts. So yeah I think it is kinda funny.
Hydros run much looser than the cats, Less drag lower amp. It could be cleaner water or evan rougher. The Mud holes in Ca. draw a lot of heat. On that note I got a 2230 1Y for my Striker 41 cat.

Sorry Jay i need to chime on this one also.

you said `Castle says don't run high amp setups on 1P with their controllers'. WTF! Why bother with their crap! LOL

I ran a 2215/240HV 10S1P setup in Team USA all last summer, decided to try it on 2P and the controller blew on the first 2P run. Go figure?

I gave up on Castle HVs(explosion prone) and Neu (great motors if you can handle the wait to get them) and am running something entirely different in my new Sprint Cat this season will see how it pans out.

BTW Jay I still admire how your club runs the big Cats sucessfully, keep up the great work!

Back