48" Gas "Kneeler" design--- Need Opinions!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Ok, So a local guy I run with, who only uses gas G26's, asked me if it would be possible to do a bigger kneeler for running a Gas Inboard version of JD's kneeler layout. We would put a dummy outboard engine on the back to keep the look, but it would be full inboard, with hidden rudder under the dummy outboard. I have included a pic to show my first thoughts and design. Let me know if you like the look or not. I know this is an inboard, not outboard, and probably in the wrong forum, but everyone here knows the kneeler, so I trust your opinions first over others that have never seen one. The hull is 48" long, 1'-9 9/16" wide, 12" tunnel, and 7 1/8" tall. This thing would be huge! lol, thanks for any thoughts or opinions! All are welcome. Mike

48GASKNEELER.jpg

Well, that would be an interesting project. I don't have any experience with an inboard "Kneeler" since it really wouldn't be an outboard. It should float, that's always a good thing, and it should move forward(which is the desired direction I would imagine.) :rolleyes:

JD

Hello Mike,

I have converted a couple of Kneelers to inboard and they work well. One was an electric, the other was a 48" version with a Zenoah in it. The gasser ran awesome! It will run as good as, if not better than, an outboard. I know... I can't believe I just said that! The c/g is lower and in the corners, the prop thrust is always the same direction that the boat is pointing (as campared to an outboard).

So here's the key, you need to keep the c/g at the same location as your outboard version. Put the gas engine in a location so that your overall c/g will be anywhere from 50% to 70% of the afterplane length. Everyone gave me a hard time about the engine location because they thought the hull design was a 3 point prop rider. It's not, it's a transom rider. Where is the c/g now on your 11cc Kneeler?

Also, a stinger type strut works well coming right out of the transom. Or you can use a conventional transom mounted strut. Since Kneelers are transom riders, just make sure the center of the propshaft is about even with the bottom of the boat.

Hope that helps.

BRB

www.blackwellracingboats.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mike,
I have converted a couple of Kneelers to inboard and they work well. One was an electric, the other was a 48" version with a Zenoah in it. The gasser ran awesome! It will run as good as, if not better than, an outboard. I know... I can't believe I just said that! The c/g is lower and in the corners, the prop thrust is always the same direction that the boat is pointing (as campared to an outboard).

So here's the key, you need to keep the c/g at the same location as your outboard version. Put the gas engine in a location so that your overall c/g will be anywhere from 50% to 70% of the afterplane length. Everyone gave me a hard time about the engine location because they thought the hull design was a 3 point prop rider. It's not, it's a transom rider. Where is the c/g now on your 11cc Kneeler?

Also, a stinger type strut works well coming right out of the transom. Or you can use a conventional transom mounted strut. Since Kneelers are transom riders, just make sure the center of the propshaft is about even with the bottom of the boat.

Hope that helps.

BRB

www.blackwellracingboats.com
I see a new class coming gas Kneelers awesome

Bill, My center of gravity is about 15" from the transom. The boat right now, since the engine has been raised, and making full power, has the sponsons sitting out of the water about a 1 to 2 inches, with only about the rear 6-7" in the water at full speed. You had asked me to let you know how it ran with the engine mounted higher, and I did run it last weekend, and it was great! Very stable, very fast. I have 9 ounces of lead in the nose as it sits. The total boat weights in at 8lbs fully fueled. I will be emailing you later today to talk more about your kneeler plans, and I want to find out more about these "capsuled" kneeler hydros. I need some size specs, because I plan on making one, and doing a scale cowling for one. Should be fun. It gives you a tunnel hull / hydroplane mix all in one!

Latest posts

Back