45 mono speeds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got a GPS in my speedmaster today. It lasted for two GPDed speed runs. First was 54.8, second was 55.4 MPH. Both runs wound up with a crash (flip, stuff, etc). Second one broke my throttle linkage so I could not keep trying...

At these speeds, I am the fastest .45 mono around here (not that there is a lot or anything)...just can't imagine keeping it on the water at 60sh...you guys are really flying.

Sean

Yesterday My eagle tree lodged a 65 for one brief moment. the average speed at the end of the straits is 59 about half of the time it hits 60 to 62. That is the problem with a GPS logging top speed it is not and accurate measure of the boats performance. My boat speeds up in the beginning of the turn when it unloads the hull.

This Cal-Craft is very old and is strait forward in it's set up and easy to make run good. Heck if I can make it run this good any one could.

Some times the old school can teach you thing you forgot about. I guess it's hard to improve on simplicity.

David

Yesterday My eagle tree lodged a 65 for one brief moment. the average speed at the end of the straits is 59 about half of the time it hits 60 to 62. That is the problem with a GPS logging top speed it is not and accurate measure of the boats performance. My boat speeds up in the beginning of the turn when it unloads the hull.

This Cal-Craft is very old and is strait forward in it's set up and easy to make run good. Heck if I can make it run this good any one could.

Some times the old school can teach you thing you forgot about. I guess it's hard to improve on simplicity.

David
David, I have never made GPS runs. Normally ran against a Stalker II Radar gun.

David
David, I have never made GPS runs. Normally ran against a Stalker II Radar gun.
Joe

Not questioning any ones claim to speed. Just sharing what my experience has bin. See guys at the pond pulling there hand held GPS out of the boat and going wow it went so and so MPH and yes it did go that fast.

Average speed on the course I feel is more important. Expressly how it pulls of the corner.

David

Can a radar gun be used to check cornering speed? Or does the boat need to be coming at the person holding the gun?

Thanks.

For a oval race boat the only important measurement requires a $10 piece of equipment - a stop watch. Lap speed is what matters, not how fast the boat was going before it blew off the water. That's just an ego measurement for 90% of folks. Even for SAW racing a GPS or radar is valuable only to get in the ballpark. I lost count of haw many guys said they "had an 80 mph boat" only to show up at a SAW event and never complete a pass....

Can a radar gun be used to check cornering speed? Or does the boat need to be coming at the person holding the gun?

Thanks.
To get an accurate reading with a radar gun, the boat has to be going straight at you, or straight away from you.

Some GPS have a logger built in, that you can dowload later, and see how the corners effect your speed.

Sean

The best measurement is who crosses the finish line first. Most of the time it's the only boat running and he was not the fastest.

David

The best measurement is who crosses the finish line first. Most of the time it's the only boat running and he was not the fastest.

David
True...but I am 2 hours away from any clubs that race RC boats. I do drive the trip to OK city at least half a dozen times a year just to run up there with them...but no one up there even owns a radar gun that I know of.

Anyhow, my point...if I run alone, it is easier to test with the GPS...or for that matter, even if I am not running alone. Take an engine that does NOT have a third channel radio connected to it. Put a GPS in the boat, run two laps, then bring it in. Now lean, or richen it an eighth turn and do it again. Did it speed up or slow down?? Adjust accordingly... GPS has been a very useful tool for this.

Another example...if I have three props that all are the same. I can GPS all three props, and find that one is actually 2 MPH faster than the other two. Nothing I know anything about...I sharpened and balanced them all myself...used the same method on all of them, yet one is noticable faster than the other. I found this with a GPS.

Hardware...ever wonder how much speed you will gain by making certain changes to the hardware on the boat?? GPS will tell you. I did a lot of testing to design a rudder blade for an RTR boat. When I was done I wound up with a rudder that has a visable increase in speed, and did not hurt handling at all.

Pipes...run the boat two laps, pull your pipe out (or push it in) an quarter inch, then run two more laps. Was it faster or slower?? Can you see a 1 or 2 MPH difference in speed at 55 MPH?? I can't... The GPS can!!!

OK...now try running your boat, and holding a radar gun at the same time... :)

Biggest problem I have with the GPS, is keeping them in the boat, and keeping them dry. One of my GPS units is at the bottom of the pond in Carrolton TX (learned a lesson from that). Another one has cracks in the case, and if it gets submerged, the screen with fade out (dry it out and it will work again another day). Third one still works fine...

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

David
True...but I am 2 hours away from any clubs that race RC boats. I do drive the trip to OK city at least half a dozen times a year just to run up there with them...but no one up there even owns a radar gun that I know of.

Anyhow, my point...if I run alone, it is easier to test with the GPS...or for that matter, even if I am not running alone. Take an engine that does NOT have a third channel radio connected to it. Put a GPS in the boat, run two laps, then bring it in. Now lean, or richen it an eighth turn and do it again. Did it speed up or slow down?? Adjust accordingly... GPS has been a very useful tool for this.

Another example...if I have three props that all are the same. I can GPS all three props, and find that one is actually 2 MPH faster than the other two. Nothing I know anything about...I sharpened and balanced them all myself...used the same method on all of them, yet one is noticable faster than the other. I found this with a GPS.

Hardware...ever wonder how much speed you will gain by making certain changes to the hardware on the boat?? GPS will tell you. I did a lot of testing to design a rudder blade for an RTR boat. When I was done I wound up with a rudder that has a visable increase in speed, and did not hurt handling at all.

Pipes...run the boat two laps, pull your pipe out (or push it in) an quarter inch, then run two more laps. Was it faster or slower?? Can you see a 1 or 2 MPH difference in speed at 55 MPH?? I can't... The GPS can!!!

OK...now try running your boat, and holding a radar gun at the same time... :)

Biggest problem I have with the GPS, is keeping them in the boat, and keeping them dry. One of my GPS units is at the bottom of the pond in Carrolton TX (learned a lesson from that). Another one has cracks in the case, and if it gets submerged, the screen with fade out (dry it out and it will work again another day). Third one still works fine...

Sean
If you have the Motor & pipe correct? Add tip cup untill you get the boat to pull off the corner to about mid stretch it runs out of prop. make a nice turn & squeeze the throttle @ listen to were the boat reaches max RPM?? If it is barely off the bouy you can add cup & obtain more Top speed. picco 45 engine likes a 9 3/4 pipe mac pipe products 7.5 pipe... also like a 1060 macs airplane pipe too..... :D CMB?? maybe 9 3/4 to longer. most mfgers have already suggest a base lime prop for their boats. but a 450/3 with tip cup is a **** good prop for most 45 mono`s if it is surface drive? jw

If you have the Motor & pipe correct? Add tip cup untill you get the boat to pull off the corner to about mid stretch it runs out of prop. make a nice turn & squeeze rthe throttle @ listen to were the boat reaches max RPM?? If it is barely off the bouy you can add cup & obtain more Top speed. picco 45 engine likes a 9 3/4 pipe mac pipe products 7.5 pipe... also like a 1060 macs airplane pipe too..... :D CMB?? maybe 9 3/4 to longer. most mfgers have already suggest a base lime prop for their boats. but a 450/3 with tip cup is a **** good prop for most 45 mono`s if it is surface drive? jw
Can you show some pics of what "tip cup" is?? A picture of a prop before and after.... Yes, my mono is surface drive. I have a cooper pipe on it at 9 7/8th inch. And I do run a 450/3.

Sean

If you have the Motor & pipe correct? Add tip cup untill you get the boat to pull off the corner to about mid stretch it runs out of prop. make a nice turn & squeeze rthe throttle @ listen to were the boat reaches max RPM?? If it is barely off the bouy you can add cup & obtain more Top speed. picco 45 engine likes a 9 3/4 pipe mac pipe products 7.5 pipe... also like a 1060 macs airplane pipe too..... :D CMB?? maybe 9 3/4 to longer. most mfgers have already suggest a base lime prop for their boats. but a 450/3 with tip cup is a **** good prop for most 45 mono`s if it is surface drive? jw
Can you show some pics of what "tip cup" is?? A picture of a prop before and after.... Yes, my mono is surface drive. I have a cooper pipe on it at 9 7/8th inch. And I do run a 450/3.

Sean
it would be hard to see with a camera.

David
Yep. That has been my experience too ;)

Agreed :)

A mid 50"s 40 Mono that finishes EVERY heat , will do just fine ;)

Just my worthless .02

Andy
Hope I can finish more than one heat this weekend. :rolleyes:

David

I MUST be getting old-

How on earth did I not put you and the driver I didnt know(that sounded so familiar) on the entry list in 40 mono together ??? :blink:

DUHHHHH :p

Im running my old school sub-surface Dunker with a wore out silver head Mac-

Its all good - finish laps :p

Look forward to seeing you this weekend.... B)

Andy

David
Yep. That has been my experience too ;)

Agreed :)

A mid 50"s 40 Mono that finishes EVERY heat , will do just fine ;)

Just my worthless .02

Andy
Hope I can finish more than one heat this weekend. :rolleyes:

David

I MUST be getting old-

How on earth did I not put you and the driver I didnt know(that sounded so familiar) on the entry list in 40 mono together ??? :blink:

DUHHHHH :p

Im running my old school sub-surface Dunker with a wore out silver head Mac-

Its all good - finish laps :p

Look forward to seeing you this weekend.... B)

Andy
Can't what. Wlll be there very early friday to get a good spot.

The beating I have put one this 45RS there isn't any pinch left on it. I slap wore it out. Hope it stays on pipe.

It's all good gust whant to have some fun. Thats what it all about.

David

Finally got a radar on my boat (thanks nigel)

Not that i really care how fast it is going, cause its consistant. Starts easy, runs nice on the water, and its a true oval boat.

Managed to get 77km from it out of the truns onto the mid way of the straight. (Thats 48mph)

45 seaducer - with some repairs and deck mods.

mac 45

45 AB parabolic

x450/3

Just seams to be a nice combo.

Like i said there would be others faster, but this is just a nice race boat.

Dave

I get similar speeds with my seaducer in oval trim. She is very consistant as well and wins races because of it.

Back