3rd Channel Needle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SColby

I was just wandering where to start with the setting on a 3rd channel needle. It is course thread and takes about 2-1/2 to 3 turns to turn the needle completely out. I have never used one before so I am running blind on getting it set up. Any other info would be appreciated also.

Thanks

I was just wandering where to start with the setting on a 3rd channel needle. It is course thread and takes about 2-1/2 to 3 turns to turn the needle completely out. I have never used one before so I am running blind on getting it set up. Any other info would be appreciated also.

Thanks
Which manufacturers 3rd channel needle and base are you using?

Also which motor and size?

If we knew,someone just might have the same setup.

I use a flow meter to set them up.

I'm sure most do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I don't remeber right off hand what brand. I bought it a while ago and just dug it back up. I am using it with a picco67. I am looking for a general starting point for how far it should be turned out.

Steve set it so there is about half of the throw of the remote needle and then set the needle the same as a stock needle. Should get you close for a strating point. Scott

Thanks so far for the info. I am running out of internet time at work so i will reply later when I get home.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the info in the pm it will help with giving more info.

From the info given in the pm I beleive it could be an Andy Brown 3rd channel. If I get a chance maybe I can post a pic of it later. I hope this helps a little more.

Thanks again to everyone so far.

Thank you for the info in the pm it will help with giving more info.

From the info given in the pm I beleive it could be an Andy Brown 3rd channel. If I get a chance maybe I can post a pic of it later. I hope this helps a little more.

Thanks again to everyone so far.
If you have used a standard needle before with this motor use it and spin the motor over with the carb all the way open (no ignoter on plug) and take mental note on amount of fuel yousee going thru carb and then do the same with 3 rd channel needle and adjust till you see approximate same amount of fuel going thru carb.

Allen

I haven't used a standard needle with the engine. I acutally have never ran this engine. I got it a while ago just like the 3rd channel and I am just now finding the time to put everything together.

When I set up my .67 greenhead with an Andy Brown (CMDI) coarse 3rd channel needle early in the season I was pretty close at about one and a half to one and five eighths turns open from zero flow. There are a lot of variables here but this is ballpark.

A flow meter is very helpful in this situation. If you have a working flow on any similar engine, you can use this as a starting point. See how the adjustment affects the flow, and set it so the lean end of the travel is at this previously determined flow rate. If you can start the engine at full rich, it will probably run well enough so you can lean the engine on the water to a good running point. You may need to bring the boat in and manually lean the needle. If you don't have a flow meter, set the needle to full rich as above and manually adjust the needle to the richest setting that the engine will run at. Then lean it on the water as above.

Lohring Miller

Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for. I do not have a flow meter. I run just for the fun of the hobby. I know approximately where it would need to be if it was a standard needle, but being a 3rd channel and never using one before I had no idea where to start.

Thanks again.

Back