21s pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve wood

since we (chris) have been running 21 hydro's(also sport 20) we have been using the ops 3280 pipe. this pipe has served chris well(couple us1's, couple hydro masters,etc). we have tried other pipes over the years, but always have came back to the ops. had heard about the erwin s pipe many times in the last couple years,as "the" pipe to run on a 21 rigger. they were no longer available,and used ones were snapped up before we had a chance to buy or they sold for an obsene amount of money. this past september kentley porter sent chris an orginal s pipe to try out. we put the pipe on for a test on thursday,test day, at the indy hobart masters.the water was pretty rough,and we didn't have a radar gun, but the boat came on plane emediately,and even in the rough water we could tell that this was a special pipe,and that the engine was turning more rpms than we had ever run(no change in prop). chris pulled the pipe. he was afraid it may become lost or damaged, and knew it was imposible to replace.

upon return from hobart i gave steve cooper(cooper pipes ) a call and asked him what he knew about the s pipe, as he had bought jim's inboard pipe business several years ago. he said yeah he had known about them,but hadn't made any, as all his pipes were muffled. we talked a while and he said he would look in his stuff he got when he bought out erwin and see if he could find any info. i called back in a couple days and steve had found an orginal drawning, made by jim, of the s pipe. now there is supposed to be some variations of this pipe, so we sent steve the pipe we borrowed from kentley for him to compare to his drawing. after getting the pipe he confirmed that kentley's pipe, and the drawing he had, was one in same. steve said that if i thought there was a market for these pipes. he would fabricate new mandrels and build some new pipes.i said do it. so now we have the new Cooper/Irwin s pipe. when he built the mandrels he made the inlet one long enough so the pipe can be made in a long version,for use on mac's or cmb valvolas,or cut off for use on the nova style engines.

the new pipes were sent to kentley, chris ,and martin truex. chris only got to test once, before the weather got bad, and said the boat ran the same speed on 50% Byron's fuel, as he had been running with our home brew 70%. he is very excited to test more in the spring. kentley ran the pipe, and, i think set 1 or 2 new records with it. martin ran one on a JAE boat,and said the pipe runs the same as the orginal s pipe he has, i think he is turning over 80 with his JAE boats.

these pipes are available now through, me or direct from Steve Cooper. we know they run very well on a nova , in a light rigger, we have sold some long versions for mac's/valvolas, but i don't think anyone has got to run one yet. they may not be the best pipe for a mono, but i can not confirm that one way or another.

contact me for more info

Cooper_Erwin_S Pipe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to say first off, thanks to kently for allowing me to try his pipe.. not many people would trust someone enought to try something that is made of unuabtainium.. let alone he has never met me in person.

and thanks for kently and martin's help in trying out the pipe.. it is good to have several people involved in all parts of the usa to try things on different boats.

chris

Steve:

I have been running this pipe for years. First on a Nova Rossi when I was running them and a couple years ago when a friend welded a header on the short NP Pipe. It is by far the best RPM pipe that I have ever run. Ii is a little bit "pipey" and does not mill very well. My driving style is to mill on the course at a moderate speed to get a good start. IF your style is such that you like to run wide open most of the time, this is the best pipe you can get. Not that Cooper is making them, they are available to everyone. Personally with my driving style, I like the New CMB pipe a little better. It is nearly the same RPM and has a better low speed characteristic. I do like the S Pipe very well though. B)

Steve:

I have been running this pipe for years. First on a Nova Rossi when I was running them and a couple years ago when a friend welded a header on the short NP Pipe. It is by far the best RPM pipe that I have ever run. Ii is a little bit "pipey" and does not mill very well. My driving style is to mill on the course at a moderate speed to get a good start. IF your style is such that you like to run wide open most of the time, this is the best pipe you can get. Not that Cooper is making them, they are available to everyone. Personally with my driving style, I like the New CMB pipe a little better. It is nearly the same RPM and has a better low speed characteristic. I do like the S Pipe very well though. B)
Hey Marty,

With the JAE design, these boats will mill very slow and come right back up with the S style pipes.For what it's worth.

I can confirm they work very well on a mono, that is if you run a gear drive. :rolleyes: :lol:

Seriously tho, I found it works best 1/4" longer than I was running my 3280's , that is plug to start of converging cone, prolly due to the steep tail cone.

What sort of lenghts you guys running? I'm at 8 1/4' on my little mono... :)

Oh, and I propped down a little to go faster. :rolleyes:

pss: It works well with a 5/16" I/D internal stinger.

last time i used it i was at 7 3/4 and need to go shorter.. now that was in a hydro

chris

since we (chris) have been running 21 hydro's(also sport 20) we have been using the ops 3280 pipe. this pipe has served chris well(couple us1's, couple hydro masters,etc). we have tried other pipes over the years, but always have came back to the ops. had heard about the erwin s pipe many times in the last couple years,as "the" pipe to run on a 21 rigger. they were no longer available,and used ones were snapped up before we had a chance to buy or they sold for an obsene amount of money. this past september kentley porter sent chris an orginal s pipe to try out. we put the pipe on for a test on thursday,test day, at the indy hobart masters.the water was pretty rough,and we didn't have a radar gun, but the boat came on plane emediately,and even in the rough water we could tell that this was a special pipe,and that the engine was turning more rpms than we had ever run(no change in prop). chris pulled the pipe. he was afraid it may become lost or damaged, and knew it was imposible to replace.

upon return from hobart i gave steve cooper(cooper pipes ) a call and asked him what he knew about the s pipe, as he had bought jim's inboard pipe business several years ago. he said yeah he had known about them,but hadn't made any, as all his pipes were muffled. we talked a while and he said he would look in his stuff he got when he bought out erwin and see if he could find any info. i called back in a couple days and steve had found an orginal drawning, made by jim, of the s pipe. now there is supposed to be some variations of this pipe, so we sent steve the pipe we borrowed from kentley for him to compare to his drawing. after getting the pipe he confirmed that kentley's pipe, and the drawing he had, was one in same. steve said that if i thought there was a market for these pipes. he would fabricate new mandrels and build some new pipes.i said do it. so now we have the new Cooper/Irwin s pipe. when he built the mandrels he made the inlet one long enough so the pipe can be made in a long version,for use on mac's or cmb valvolas,or cut off for use on the nova style engines.

the new pipes were sent to kentley, chris ,and martin truex. chris only got to test once, before the weather got bad, and said the boat ran the same speed on 50% Byron's fuel, as he had been running with our home brew 70%. he is very excited to test more in the spring. kentley ran the pipe, and, i think set 1 or 2 new records with it. martin ran one on a JAE boat,and said the pipe runs the same as the orginal s pipe he has, i think he is turning over 80 with his JAE boats.

these pipes are available now through, me or direct from Steve Cooper. we know they run very well on a nova , in a light rigger, we have sold some long versions for mac's/valvolas, but i don't think anyone has got to run one yet. they may not be the best pipe for a mono, but i can not confirm that one way or another.

contact me for more info

Email sent regarding pipe...thanks

[email protected]

contact me for more info

I would like one for a mac/cmb valvola. Where do I send payment. Any ideas on how it might work on a cmb .21 outboard motor???

Robert Holland

contact me for more info

I would like one for a mac/cmb valvola. Where do I send payment. Any ideas on how it might work on a cmb .21 outboard motor???

Robert Holland
see for sale section (manuf)

pay to steve wood

431 harrison

burlington,iowa 52601

don't think this will work well on an outboard. you need to talk steve cooper in to making his 21 outboard pipe again

Back