2015 Fall Nats in Charleston

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had a club member at the lake since Friday afternoon staying through race week. So we have been gathering info for a status report. As of now, the rain ceased early today, chance of showers tonight and into tomorrow, However, there is nothing forecasted as we have had the past 2 days. Once we get through tomorrow, the forecasts are for temps from 75-80, party sunny to sunny for the remainder of the week & weekend. So the remainder of today and tomorrow is the only concern and that is not much compared to what has rolled through. Access roads into the race site have varied for closure due to the heavy rain and tidal areas. They are expected to be open on Tuesday. However, do not plan on any site seeing in the downtown Charleston area as there is still significant flooding in that district.

Site report - Actually good compared to what rain has fallen. The site got about 12" or so of rain. North of Charleston, towards Georgetown and Myrtle Beach, got 24+". Truly epic. There are a few small rain puddles in the parking area that will be filled. 2-3 trucks of new mulch will be brought in tomorrow or Tuesday morning and spread out. The dirt road coming in to the lake is except for one spot. Rock and crush and run will be placed there tomorrow or Tuesday morning so the access road should be fine by Tuesday. The amount of rain will dictate which day that work will take place.

With that being said, we need complete access to the race site to unload the mulch and rock and to get it spread out. As a result, we will delay any arrival of trailers on site until 4 pm or later Tuesday. Do NOT come in before that time. One thing to consider to help you and the site, may want to come in on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. Not only will that give you some cushion for the water to recede but also give the site more time to dry out.

Open water still planned for Wednesday morning - race on.

Will provide updates as I get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had a club member at the lake since Friday afternoon staying through race week. So we have been gathering info for a status report. As of now, the rain ceased early today, chance of showers tonight and into tomorrow, However, there is nothing forecasted as we have had the past 2 days. Once we get through tomorrow, the forecasts are for temps from 75-80, party sunny to sunny for the remainder of the week & weekend. So the remainder of today and tomorrow is the only concern and that is not much compared to what has rolled through. Access roads into the race site have varied for closure due to the heavy rain and tidal areas. They are expected to be open on Tuesday. However, do not plan on any site seeing in the downtown Charleston area as there is still significant flooding in that district.

Site report - Actually good compared to what rain has fallen. The site got about 12" or so of rain. North of Charleston, towards Georgetown and Myrtle Beach, got 24+". Truly epic. There are a few small rain puddles in the parking area that will be filled. 2-3 trucks of new mulch will be brought in tomorrow or Tuesday morning and spread out. The dirt road coming in to the lake is except for one spot. Rock and crush and run will be placed there tomorrow or Tuesday morning so the access road should be fine by Tuesday. The amount of rain will dictate which day that work will take place.

With that being said, we need complete access to the race site to unload the mulch and rock and to get it spread out. As a result, we will delay any arrival of trailers on site until 4 pm or later Tuesday. Do NOT come in before that time. One thing to consider to help you and the site, may want to come in on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. Not only will that give you some cushion for the water to recede but also give the site more time to dry out.

Open water still planned for Wednesday morning - race on.

Will provide updates as I get them.
Awesome !! Actively loading now .......................................................................

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon, should arive early Wed. evening.
default_smile.png

Monday race update to all:

The rain has ceased at 2 am this morning. Been some misting today but no rain. Site is starting to dry out some but we do not want anyone on site until late tomorrow or preferably Wednesday morning. The road coming into the lake is wet but holding up. The owners are REQUIRING a very slow speed (10 MPH) coming into the lake. A 15 mph limit is posted but they want a lower speed so let's do it.

The primary used access road to the lake is Main Road from Savannah Hwy (US17). This road has been open and closed for the past 3 days. There is a tidal creek into the Stono River that is about 100 yards from the Gilligan's Seafood Restaurant. The water level coupled with the high tides has flooded the road and has closed it. Hopefully by Wednesday it will be open. Check the following website http://counton2.com for road closures, it is Channel 2, WCBD local TV station, check on the link on the right for road closures. Look for Main Rd in Charleston County.

Alternate driving directions in the event Main Rd is closed to traffic:

From I-526, turn LEFT onto Savannah Hwy (US17), normally you turn right. Go down about 8 miles, you will pass a number of automobile dealerships on both sides of the road. Turn RIGHT onto Wesley Dr. go 2 blocks and will merge onto Folly Rd, (Hwy 171). The South Windermere Shopping Center (Earth Fare store) is on the right. Proceed over the Stono River Drawbridge and you will see the Charleston Crab House on the right on the river shore. Turn RIGHT on Maybank Hwy (Hwy 700). This road is the one the lake is directly off of in the opposite direction. About a mile on the left you will see the Charleston Municipal Golf Course., keep going.straight, and will come to another bridge over the Stono River. Go straight for about 2 miles and will come to River Rd at a stoplight. Go straight for 3.5 miles and the lake road (Fern Hill Dr.) will be on the right.

From the motels or I-95, you will already be on Savannah Hwy (Hwy 17), Go about 4 miles and you will get to the I-526 intersection. Keep going straight on Savannah Hwy and then follow the above directions.

John

Here are the pics from Charleston race site and as you can see the damage is extensive. Hats off to them for choosing to go all in and still hold the Fall Nats in 2 weeks.
I just read and saw the pictures from the damage. VERY sorry to see that. I wish I lived closer to pitch in and help out.

Jeff,

Appreciate the best wishes. I would love to a very large indoor race site that noting would impact hosting a race. That would be great but would cost a few bucks. This has been worse than a bad dream, big time!

Jeff,

Appreciate the best wishes. I would love to a very large indoor race site that noting would impact hosting a race. That would be great but would cost a few bucks. This has been worse than a bad dream, big time!
hats off to all of you for getting site ready !!!!!

John it would be great to have indoor site but if roads are closed its not your answer to the problem you may face know.

I hope the road ways stay open up so everybody going to this Epic Race after a Epic rain gets there safe. looking forward in the near furure to meeting you and others also sir.GENTLEMAN get ready to start your engines.

DRV2WIN

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Nor rain sleet or hurricane will stop me from the race unless there is no water in the lake departing 5AM

Jeff,

Status of roads update for late day tomorrow arrival please....

Jeff,

Status of roads update for late day tomorrow arrival please....
Marty , I spoke to Big Joe and he has been on site . Access to Johns Island may have to be from the north side per John Knights directions but all is good !

Lake and site are excellent. No

Trouble coming from Savannah on I 95 then take 17 at exit 33.

Trailer in place and tent up.

Aim problem is getting on and off the island due to traffic.

Road past Gilligans is closed tonight but may be open tomorrow. Take the other route as John described.

Lake and site are excellent. No

Trouble coming from Savannah on I 95 then take 17 at exit 33.

Trailer in place and tent up.

Aim problem is getting on and off the island due to traffic.

Road past Gilligans is closed tonight but may be open tomorrow. Take the other route as John described.
Thanks Gary !!!

Guys,

Main Rd is still closed and will be through tomorrow. The alternate driving directions through James Island to Johns Island is very heavy so one of the 2 roads (the primary one no less) coming into Johns Island is out. News broadcast hopes that it will be open Thursday. My real concern is for Friday - Sunday.

John

Latest posts

Back