2011 GAS MASTERS RACE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

My Club, the Tampa Model Boat Club had a meeting last evening and decided to put on 2 new and unique races in the Fall of 2011.

The first race is called the GAS MASTERS and will be a race patterned after the RC Cars, World of Outlaws, etc. You will qualify on the clock by yourself and after everyone qualifies, the heats will be broken into Mains. For example: A Main for the top 6 fastest qualifiers, B Main for the next 6 fastest qualifiers, C Main for next 6 fastest qualifers, etc.

Once qualifications are finished (Saturday Morning), the racing will start with the lowest main (for example D Main) racing all 3 heats in each class. Then the winner of the D Main will transfer up to the C Main and all the C Mains will run their 3 heats. After the C Mains the winners of the C Mains will transfer up to the B Mains. All the B Mains 3 heats will run and the winner will transfer up to the A Main. Now the final 3 heat races of the weekend for all the A Mains classes. The winner of the A Mains will get a Green Jacket (Like the winner of the Golf Augusta Masters) It is a nice prize to wear around, especially to other races :)

If you do not make it to qualifications on Friday and Saturday Morning, you will still get to race. You will start out in the lowest main.

NOTE: I saw someone start in the D Main, at the previous Hydro Masters in Indy and win all the way to the A Main. He WON THE A MAIN TOO....

This format is great so that you get to race with people who are at a similar skill and equiment level. Makes racing much more fun that way.

Our club purposly put both our specialty races in the FALL so that those who live in cold country can have an excuse to get away.

I will post a similar message for our other race which is set for the weekend after Thanksgiving. I remember when I lived in "cold country" that I came to the Thanksgiving Race in Ft Myers when they used to have it. MANY people outside Florida came to that race.

We wanted to let everyone know about these two new specialty races so that you can get your vacation schedule set.

The flyers for the two new races are: GAS MASTERS: http://tampa-model-boat-club.com/gas_masters_11.pdf and FLORIDA UNLIMITED: http://tampa-model-boat-club.com/unlimited_11.pdf

Visit our club website to look at the new pond that we just became approved for use. It has taken our club over a year to get it done, but you will see that it is one of, if not the best pond in the country. Very well protected from the West, HUGE for all the room you will ever need. Probably some Record Trials in the future too, maybe even an Internats.

Club website is: http://tampa-model-boat-club.com

I have posted BOTH races on the http://rcracingevents.com race signup site and I would suggest that you enter early in order to secure a spot in these races. I can almost guarantee you that they will fill up SUPER FAST.

Nice to see a different approach for races. Looks like an interesting format with "mains". Choice of the cooler weather doesn't hurt either. Will make that one for sure.

I always thought the weekend after Thanksgiving would work well as many people have or take off that friday and are done with relatives before Saturday. Are the open classes going to be domonated by hydro's? Will a gas cat or mono have a chance? Maybe just have to try the "David vs Goliath" and see what happens.

Mic

Nice to see a different approach for races. Looks like an interesting format with "mains". Choice of the cooler weather doesn't hurt either. Will make that one for sure.

I always thought the weekend after Thanksgiving would work well as many people have or take off that friday and are done with relatives before Saturday. Are the open classes going to be domonated by hydro's? Will a gas cat or mono have a chance? Maybe just have to try the "David vs Goliath" and see what happens.

Mic
We ran the Indy Unlimited in the 70's and 80's and limited entries to 120 (same as now, just 60 nitro and 60 gas). I have seen 2o hydro's get 3rd place, cats win, 60 hydro's win, twins win (one guy Jerry Davet won multiple times with a twin), and all sorts of other boats win and place high. As with any racing, consistency pays off.

When was the last time that you had 60 boats in your class? It is back to great racing with this format. I loved it back then and will love it now. Just won't be conpetitive personally trying to keep the race running smoothly.

I hope to see a lot of the SnowBirds down here for that race.

My Club, the Tampa Model Boat Club had a meeting last evening and decided to put on 2 new and unique races in the Fall of 2011.

The first race is called the GAS MASTERS and will be a race patterned after the RC Cars, World of Outlaws, etc. You will qualify on the clock by yourself and after everyone qualifies, the heats will be broken into Mains. For example: A Main for the top 6 fastest qualifiers, B Main for the next 6 fastest qualifiers, C Main for next 6 fastest qualifers, etc.

Once qualifications are finished (Saturday Morning), the racing will start with the lowest main (for example D Main) racing all 3 heats in each class. Then the winner of the D Main will transfer up to the C Main and all the C Mains will run their 3 heats. After the C Mains the winners of the C Mains will transfer up to the B Mains. All the B Mains 3 heats will run and the winner will transfer up to the A Main. Now the final 3 heat races of the weekend for all the A Mains classes. The winner of the A Mains will get a Green Jacket (Like the winner of the Golf Augusta Masters) It is a nice prize to wear around, especially to other races :)

If you do not make it to qualifications on Friday and Saturday Morning, you will still get to race. You will start out in the lowest main.

NOTE: I saw someone start in the D Main, at the previous Hydro Masters in Indy and win all the way to the A Main. He WON THE A MAIN TOO....

This format is great so that you get to race with people who are at a similar skill and equiment level. Makes racing much more fun that way.

Our club purposly put both our specialty races in the FALL so that those who live in cold country can have an excuse to get away.

I will post a similar message for our other race which is set for the weekend after Thanksgiving. I remember when I lived in "cold country" that I came to the Thanksgiving Race in Ft Myers when they used to have it. MANY people outside Florida came to that race.

We wanted to let everyone know about these two new specialty races so that you can get your vacation schedule set.

The flyers for the two new races are: GAS MASTERS: http://tampa-model-b..._masters_11.pdf and FLORIDA UNLIMITED: http://tampa-model-b...nlimited_11.pdf

Visit our club website to look at the new pond that we just became approved for use. It has taken our club over a year to get it done, but you will see that it is one of, if not the best pond in the country. Very well protected from the West, HUGE for all the room you will ever need. Probably some Record Trials in the future too, maybe even an Internats.

I have posted BOTH races on the http://rcracingevents.com race signup site and I would suggest that you enter early in order to secure a spot in these races. I can almost guarantee you that they will fill up SUPER FAST.

I guess i have a question as to how qualifying could be done sat morning with 120 boats to qualify ? Never did this before but i could see it take a long time .

Last edited by a moderator:
Any open ideas to maybe a ,

Hydro class and Mono class - with a winner and champion in both classes.

Then a winner take all type final for the nitro race with the top 3 from both Hydro and Mono classes ???

Six boat heat of the fastest of the fast in both classes......
cool.gif

Andy

It is vary interesting to see a move back to our "ROOTS" of racing. I attended many INDY Unlimited races. We would have over 100 boats all competing against each other. To win or place in the top three was an acomplishment. I took second with Marty's help by being my caller. I had a competition 60 hydro. We had a many tables of merchandise. Roger Morran beat me by 25 points and he chose the mill. I was next and chose a crapshooter twin. BAD choice. I have been running twins since and spent a pile of money on twins since.

This maybe the trend of racing. We have so many classes now that it is hard to get enough boats to fill all of the various classes. For years I ran one hydro, now we can't get all of the boats in our trailor. Also many races can only get three rounds in due to sooo many classes. Now if we can get 6-8 boats per class it is amazing. Winning a race where 60 boats are competing against each other is a major achievement. I hope I can be one of the sixty nito boats. Marty, you may have to increase the number up to 75+. Doc

The flyers for the two new races are: GAS MASTERS: http://tampa-model-b..._masters_11.pdf and FLORIDA UNLIMITED: http://tampa-model-b...nlimited_11.pdf

I guess i have a question as to how qualifying could be done sat morning with 120 boats to qualify ? Never did this before but i could see it take a long time .
All Day Friday and Saturday morning.......

It is vary interesting to see a move back to our "ROOTS" of racing. I attended many INDY Unlimited races. We would have over 100 boats all competing against each other. To win or place in the top three was an acomplishment. I took second with Marty's help by being my caller. I had a competition 60 hydro. We had a many tables of merchandise. Roger Morran beat me by 25 points and he chose the mill. I was next and chose a crapshooter twin. BAD choice. I have been running twins since and spent a pile of money on twins since.

This maybe the trend of racing. We have so many classes now that it is hard to get enough boats to fill all of the various classes. For years I ran one hydro, now we can't get all of the boats in our trailor. Also many races can only get three rounds in due to sooo many classes. Now if we can get 6-8 boats per class it is amazing. Winning a race where 60 boats are competing against each other is a major achievement. I hope I can be one of the sixty nito boats. Marty, you may have to increase the number up to 75+. Doc
Gary:

I remember well and know how many of the Unlimited's that you attended. Always with your sidekick "Bader".

When you were attending, we limited the entries to 120 and filled it up really fast. With this format for both Gas and Nitro, I will guarantee you that it will fill up super fast. IF both nitro and gas fill up right away, we will split the race into 2 races and have both a Nitro and Gas Unlimited here in Florida.

As for a prize table, hard to tell about whether we can match that. The seems to be less manufacturers in out little segment of RC. We have put our best in that position, so I am very hopeful about results. We will have a super Raffle for the Masters and a BIG prize table for the Unlimited.

I look forward to seeing you at this race. The caller position is ALWAYS available to you..... B) Except in 20 hydro, where I have some scores to settle withg you after Charleston.

Marty, Would it not be cool to have an all 20 hydro race. 60-70 20 hydros running 5-6 rounds. Gary
No, that wouldn't be cool, it would be THE ULTIMATE !!! B)

We have decided to do things a little different here with our club and put on some really fun contests.

I HATE the 25 classes with 5-10 people per class. Wish we could go back to 5-10 classes with 30+ per class.

Looking forward to racing against 60 boats in the Fall for the Unlimited. Can't wait.....

So a 70.00 entry fee to run 2 boats is what I am seeing .It will be interesting to say the least to see how .21 Hydros fare in torn up Twin water !! :p
The entry fee is the same as it was in 1979.

Most of the entry fee will go toward a BIG prize table.

Guess you will have a decision whether to support your club or not...... :blink:

Marty,

Does my memory serve me correctly? Didn't Conrad Cupit (Glen's boy) Win or place 3rd or something like that at the Indy Unlimited with a 20 Mono?

Also if I remember correctly I placed 2nd (buoy cut) at the 1989 Indy Unlimited with a Twin OPS 45 powered Mongoose.

All kinds of boats have won or place well at that race. Canards even dominated for a couple of years.

Marty,

Does my memory serve me correctly? Didn't Conrad Cupit (Glen's boy) Win or place 3rd or something like that at the Indy Unlimited with a 20 Mono?

Also if I remember correctly I placed 2nd (buoy cut) at the 1989 Indy Unlimited with a Twin OPS 45 powered Mongoose.

All kinds of boats have won or place well at that race. Canards even dominated for a couple of years.
Conrad (Connie) finished 3rd with my 20 hydro. What a little driver!!!

You have a very good memory. I hope that you can fit these 2 old format races into your schedule. I know that you will have fun.

I do remember that a buoy cut was VERY COSTLY for you. You beat 119 other boats.

Remember how well a couple twins did at that race too..... (Mike Meelbusch and Gerry Davet).

I think I remember someone winning the race with a big bore mono too.....

It makes it tough to be super serious about a race when you are trying to put it on, but I am going to try.

Maybe if we can get Nitro built back up, we can have a Masters like we used to.... Probably hard to keep you and John away from a race like that. We would miss our Buddy from Ocala at a Masters Race for sure!!!

Lets get the flier for the Florida Unlimited up on RC Racing Events -

Im gonna break out the back up X-Mono or maybe the war worn 60 boat and have some fun
wink.gif

Bring them Hydro's on
blink.gif

Andy

So a 70.00 entry fee to run 2 boats is what I am seeing .It will be interesting to say the least to see how .21 Hydros fare in torn up Twin water !! :p
The entry fee is the same as it was in 1979.

Most of the entry fee will go toward a BIG prize table.

Guess you will have a decision whether to support your club or not...... :blink:

?? What ? I am a member of the Brandon Model boaters right now (last 20 + years ) i'd join them all if i could !!! ............. :unsure:

Im gonna break out the back up X-Mono or maybe the war worn 60 boat and have some fun
wink.gif

Bring them Hydro's on
blink.gif

Andy
Andy:

Evidently Bill Britton has is set so that you can't have a race listed early. I have the entry all completed, but it will not publish. Must be because it is so far out in time????

The Flyer can be accessed at: http://tampa-model-boat-club.com/unlimited_11.pdf

wink.gif

Bring them Hydro's on
blink.gif

Andy
One year I got 7th place with a Twin Craft 80 mono and got a pico 67 for a prize. 7th out of 125 boats with a mono ain't bad. I got some good heats and finished first in three heats and second in another. If it wasn't for the radio glitch on my 5th heat the results could have been even better. My buddy Steve Speas got 4th with a cat. He got a pico 67 as a prize too. They had some great prizes! Don't discount any boat from winning if you get some good heats and stay consistant.

Latest posts

Back