20 hydro ????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if anything I have got people talking again it was getting very quiet on I.W. :lol:

Next years Northern Nats should be very interesting the fun has already started and it's only ten months away. :blink:

Tim K

Hey Don , Bob Morton made it out to the Northern Nats hope to see you next year with Bob , It was great seeing Bob agian to bad about the twin but before the mishap he was tearing up the water pretty good

Buck,

Not really,I just like people to back up their statements. I'm sure your boats will back you up,I just would

love to see great competition at the Northern Nationals in August next year.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

try doing 80 mph on OPEN water ...

any town any day ... LOL's
That's easy, just fire up a twin & see how fast people bring their boats in. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what i find funny in Ausssie racing just from watching ., is the top boats are ALL around the 1 minuite heat times.

pauls 21's & 45's are running 1.02's most of the twins run 1.02's and the gas riggers aer right at the door with runs around 102's

Has anyone gone under regularily under a minuite heat yet in AU ??

I think it doesnt matter what hull , lets get that minuite broken , share the info out , and let everyone have a crack at how far under that magic minuite we can go .. :) ( sorry i was dreaming , i have woken up now..)

its funny all the heli pilots openly share their setups willingly to all who are curious , and want to try ,

in boats its still alot of silence that comes back when you ask the sensative questions of a really good setup.. :huh:

different forums different people , its funny but my chopper's are much better setup than my boats ,.

i use and recommend your props mark , they are great , but i am still along way of that minuite heat ..even with shoboat props.

i could fly it in under a minuite , but to get a boat there takes some serious setup..

one day someone will cry , where did all the racers go ?? , answer : to other hobbys.

as Ned Kelly said " Such Is Life "

Jase :p

Last edited by a moderator:
try doing 80 mph on OPEN water ...

any town any day ... LOL's
That's easy, just fire up a twin & see how fast people bring their boats in. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what i find funny in Ausssie racing just from watching ., is the top boats are ALL around the 1 minuite heat times.

pauls 21's & 45's are running 1.02's most of the twins run 1.02's and the gas riggers aer right at the door with runs around 102's

I think it doesnt matter what hull , lets get that minuite broken , share the info out , and let everyone have a crack at how far under that magic minuite we can go .. :) ( sorry i was dreaming , i have woken up now..)

its funny all the heli pilots openly share their setups willingly to all who are curious , and want to try ,

in boats its still alot of silence that comes back when you ask the sensative questions of a really good setup.. :huh:

different forums different people , its funny but my chopper's are much better setup than my boats ,.

i use and recommend your props mark , they are great , but i am still along way of that minuite heat ..even with shoboat props.

i could fly it in under a minuite , but to get a boat there takes some serious setup..

one day someone will cry , where did all the racers go ?? , answer : to other hobbys.

Jason

You only have to ask the question and you will get the answer you will probably get lots of answers all diffrent.

All the boats that i sell come with comprahencive setup instructions no secreats plus any refinments we find evan to the point I sold my last 21 Taipan that i took to the world Champs just as it was setup.

Tim,

Dave and I are running kit-form BlackJack's, MAC's with OPS 3280 pipes (I think Dave's is the K copy, which is probably better than the original) and (almost) stock H-10's. I know we are both running WWWWAAAYYY over 70 MPH at home running solo, on a long SAW from the deep end of turn 4 through the front stretch. What we are running in heat racing, I don't know. Normally, I'm running about 3/4 throttle and plenty fast enough to outpace the rest of the crowd. The only time this whole summer I had to fully open it up was in the last heat of the Masters, when I was 100 pts behind Dave and I wanted a run-off REAL bad. Sadly, it wasn't to be. We are both running well enough to have taken 1st and 2nd at EVERY race we attended this year (which wasn't very many for me :( ).

By most accounts, Chris's Blackbird is the most decorated. US-1 this year. Speed and consistancy were the contributing factors. Indy Masters last year. It's just a shame (for me) that I was having radio problems and couldn't keep my race program together well enough to give him a run for it.

The truth of the matter is that there are several boats in "production" at the moment that are capable of mid 70's heat racing, that are strikingly similar in appearance and fairly evenly priced. Pick your poison. Set it up correctly, power it appropriately and I don't think it matters which one you buy. The thing to look for, though, is the accomplishments of those that have bought the boats, not just what the builders have done with their own boats..........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
You got that right brad.. and allan waddle got second at huntsville in 20 hydro with a black bird 3rd time out for the year.. not bad..

point is. you must decide for yourself what you want. not what someone else wants you to have. alot has to do with you particualar set ups and props motors ect.

i am sure all are good boats.. just look at the details. ;)

chris Chris. I took 1st at Huntsville in 20-hydro with my SGX. Racing conditions were poor. Lots of wind and ruff water. I am looking forward to building your boat. Hopefully it will be ready to race in the spring. The SGX will have to do battle in Slidell!!!!!! They have a great 20 hydro race called GO For The Silver. The top 6 20 hydros race for the big trophy. If you are looking to get out of the corn fields and the snow and cold weather come to Slidell first weekend in Nov for a great race. NO NOISE issues. Doc

Tim,

Dave and I are running kit-form BlackJack's, MAC's with OPS 3280 pipes (I think Dave's is the K copy, which is probably better than the original) and (almost) stock H-10's. I know we are both running WWWWAAAYYY over 70 MPH at home running solo, on a long SAW from the deep end of turn 4 through the front stretch. What we are running in heat racing, I don't know. Normally, I'm running about 3/4 throttle and plenty fast enough to outpace the rest of the crowd. The only time this whole summer I had to fully open it up was in the last heat of the Masters, when I was 100 pts behind Dave and I wanted a run-off REAL bad. Sadly, it wasn't to be. We are both running well enough to have taken 1st and 2nd at EVERY race we attended this year (which wasn't very many for me :( ).

By most accounts, Chris's Blackbird is the most decorated. US-1 this year. Speed and consistancy were the contributing factors. Indy Masters last year. It's just a shame (for me) that I was having radio problems and couldn't keep my race program together well enough to give him a run for it.

The truth of the matter is that there are several boats in "production" at the moment that are capable of mid 70's heat racing, that are strikingly similar in appearance and fairly evenly priced. Pick your poison. Set it up correctly, power it appropriately and I don't think it matters which one you buy. The thing to look for, though, is the accomplishments of those that have bought the boats, not just what the builders have done with their own boats..........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
You got that right brad.. and allan waddle got second at huntsville in 20 hydro with a black bird 3rd time out for the year.. not bad..

point is. you must decide for yourself what you want. not what someone else wants you to have. alot has to do with you particualar set ups and props motors ect.

i am sure all are good boats.. just look at the details. ;)

chris Chris. I took 1st at Huntsville in 20-hydro with my SGX. Racing conditions were poor. Lots of wind and ruff water. I am looking forward to building your boat. Hopefully it will be ready to race in the spring. The SGX will have to do battle in Slidell!!!!!! They have a great 20 hydro race called GO For The Silver. The top 6 20 hydros race for the big trophy. If you are looking to get out of the corn fields and the snow and cold weather come to Slidell first weekend in Nov for a great race. NO NOISE issues. Doc

Hey doc,

Keep me posted on your build.. as for down south.. sounds like fun. but money isn't going to allow me.. would be nice to get out of this 30 degree junk..

chris

quote "Jason

You only have to ask the question and you will get the answer you will probably get lots of answers all diffrent.

All the boats that i sell come with comprahencive setup instructions no secreats plus any refinments we find evan to the point I sold my last 21 Taipan that i took to the world Champs just as it was setup. "

I do get it ,Paul , i have ordered a taipan , and will use all your info to make it competative .

Thanks for making quaility boats we can afford !!

i think the boats are all fast , compared to the 60's anyway ...

Jason

Jason,

I've gone seriously close with the A (21's) hydro in testing at Penrith, but have not broken the 1 minute in a heat race. Going super fast in a heat proves little - except for bragging rights - so some of us do just enough to get a good lead and then cruise.... I won a heat last weekend with a 1.33 doing just that! I was running out really wide after lapping the field to avoid traffic and doing something dumb (that I tend to do ) like nailing a bouy.

I did set fastest heat time in that class at last year's Hunter Valley champs with a 1.12 heat, and a 1.14 the year before. I have run several 1.14's at various places, including setting fastest heat times at the Yarrawonga nat's with a 1.14 heat. I was on track to run a really fast one at the winter spec this year but the old Novarossi cried enough after 8 years and destroyed itself 2 laps in.

Ask Aaron Alberico, Paul Osmond, Ken Retallick, Dave Hatcliffe, - I have no secrets when it comes to my boat and set-up. In fact Ken's boat was set-up to my notes and won the nat's first time out!

As for A hydro's that race in the 70's in Oz, you could count them on one hand and have change. It does take some good competition in your area and good water to drive you on with this class . ;)

The faster b, c, and X hydro's are capable of running 1 min or less if everything goes to plan - I've seen sub 1 min. a few times - Best heat time I've run was a 1.04 in C hydro.

Tim.

Hi Folks..

Every time this 20 hull question comes up, one great hull is overlooked, the 3.5 Hawk. I have a 3 year old Hawk that was built from the Dumas kit, and with exception of the rear sponsons, I used all of the wood in the kit.

Here's some highlights of it's track record - 2005 NAMBA A Hydro National Champion, 1st place 2006 Atlanta Spring Nats (perfect score), 1st place 2006 Mendota Ill (18 B Hydros at this race), turns 11 second laps withs ease, and heat races in the mid to upper 60s. All of this was done, (with exception of a GERAGHTY carb and an Orlick head), with a box stock Nova Rossi LS. This thing drives like it's on rails.

Am I saying that it's better than all of the others mentioned here, not at all. I will say that it's just as good as the rest, and the track record proves it, and you can have one for a lot less cash.

The down side to the 3.5 Hawk is the fact that you have to put a little effort into it, and build it yourself. There are mods that you need to put into it when you build it, but that information is easily attainable. The plus side of this is that you know what you have from the ground up. Say you stick a sponson into a bouy going 70 mph and snap the sponson in half (LOL), you just build a new one instead of waiting for the manufacturer to get a pair out to you and charging you an arm and a leg.

The bottom line is that the 3.5 Hawk may not be the 20 hydro for everyone because you have to build it, but one built with the right numbers is just as good as anything out there. Just another option, that's been overlooked!

Thanks,

Steve Ball

BTW, I'm building a new Hawk for next season, and after I get some paint on the new right sponson, the above mentioned hull will be for sale.

Ahh this looks like fun!! :D

Pick any hull, from anywhere,

My choices are if you want a kit get a Firefighter .21, if you want it already professionaly assembled get a Taipain .21.

Set it up to the makers specs, or the latest specs, Fit a good engine, a matching pipe, and then find a prop that works with it all. work on the small details and you have an Instant race winner if driven half decent. Who cares if it only does 55 Mph, or 85 Mph, if its competitive and you enjoy racing with it your a winner already! :D :D

No idea how fast my Firefighter .21 goes, never checked the speed, dont care either, its only a number. Race times count, just do a quicker one the everyone else hehe.

Hi Folks..

Every time this 20 hull question comes up, one great hull is overlooked, the 3.5 Hawk. I have a 3 year old Hawk that was built from the Dumas kit, and with exception of the rear sponsons, I used all of the wood in the kit.

Here's some highlights of it's track record - 2005 NAMBA A Hydro National Champion, 1st place 2006 Atlanta Spring Nats (perfect score), 1st place 2006 Mendota Ill (18 B Hydros at this race), turns 11 second laps withs ease, and heat races in the mid to upper 60s. All of this was done, (with exception of a GERAGHTY carb and an Orlick head), with a box stock Nova Rossi LS. This thing drives like it's on rails.

Am I saying that it's better than all of the others mentioned here, not at all. I will say that it's just as good as the rest, and the track record proves it, and you can have one for a lot less cash.

The down side to the 3.5 Hawk is the fact that you have to put a little effort into it, and build it yourself. There are mods that you need to put into it when you build it, but that information is easily attainable. The plus side of this is that you know what you have from the ground up. Say you stick a sponson into a bouy going 70 mph and snap the sponson in half (LOL), you just build a new one instead of waiting for the manufacturer to get a pair out to you and charging you an arm and a leg.

The bottom line is that the 3.5 Hawk may not be the 20 hydro for everyone because you have to build it, but one built with the right numbers is just as good as anything out there. Just another option, that's been overlooked!

Thanks,

Steve Ball

BTW, I'm building a new Hawk for next season, and after I get some paint on the new right sponson, the above mentioned hull will be for sale.

Steve, your Hawk is a very fast boat, I took a good look at it at Mendota, you do great work, with attention to detail. Great runnin boat!

Larry Jr.

Tim,

I have a boat nobody has beaten yet.

Top speed is a useless point in the case of heat racing. What we need are some lap times. Too many "fast" boats are just pigs through the turns or they run in lane 25. Or both. Give me a 65mph 20 that turns like a champ and I am happy.

That boat that nobody has beaten yet, it has not been raced either.

Hi Folks..

Thanks,

Steve Ball

Steve, your Hawk is a very fast boat, I took a good look at it at Mendota, you do great work, with attention to detail. Great runnin boat!

Larry Jr.
Hi Larry Jr..

Thanks for the kind words!

Steve Ball

We have a 20 boat here that heat races at 78 MPH in race water and seems to lose nnooooooo speed in the corners.

The boat was built by Marty Davis about six years ago and he still races it to this day. I must say I have never seen a boat turn like this thing. I know Marty is not one to "toot his own horn" but I thought I would mention his boat because it cannot be overlooked. For those of you who may have seen it in Celina or the 2001 Nats. you may remember how dominate it was ... It is a bit different now ... in that he found more speed in the thing :eek:

The fun part is we have a heck of a time TRYING to catch it with 40 hydros :eek: If he gets lane one you are pretty much toast. :D The most amazing thing about this boat is all you have to do is think of where you want it to go it goes there. If try to drive it ...you are OVER driving it. AND he runs it on our very large offshore course or in our 60' by 300' retention pond just for giggles.

Again I am not trying to start an endless "piss%&g" match BUT this boat is amazing.

The neatest thing is I hear rumors it may be available to mortals like myself in a kit someday :unsure:

Someone said something about a BIG 20 shootout race.... :D That sounds like a HOOT!.

We also have a very fast 20 mono too..but that is for a different thread ;)

We have a 20 boat here that heat races at 78 MPH in race water and seems to lose nnooooooo speed in the corners.

OK so in the intrest of everyone racing 21 riggers if feel he should sit down and do some how to videos,

Ill buy them , where do i send the money .

There's a challenge for him

Jason

Back