2.4 Ghz Reciever Antenna

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Pun

Hi all,

Anyone out there has experience on how best to put the 2.4 ghz receiver antenna in the water proof radio box of your hydro boats?

I've got problem once when the boats speed to the far end of the course but not too far away, the engine got kicked down.

GP

I use the Futaba 7C radio which uses the 617 seven channel receiver and route the dual antennas so there is one on each side of the box at the top edge. Ran this system on my Smokin Joes, the executone and a VS1 tunnel. Also have it on my T4 budweiser. Stay on the course and you will be fine....
smile.gif

I've started running all my 2.4 antennas inside the radio box. The low cost Tower receiver doesn't even have an antenna. The range of the Tower receiver is considerably less than a 75 MHz radio but is good enough for heat races on our clubs 1/6 mile course. The Futaba 2.4 module on my 3PK radio has lots more range but still not as much as the 75 MHz module.

Lohring Miller

Once I switched out all the antennas on my Futaba 603FS RX's to the optional longer antenna lead Futaba now offers I have just as much range as my 75mhz module did on my 3PKS radio. I run the new antenna leads approx. 7" above the deck which gets it farther away from the carbon lids, the metal tuned pipes and the water, all of which are known to be detrimental to 2.4 reception. The longer antenna lead from Futaba is listed as "boat only" so it is meant for our applications and can be had directly from Futaba or ordered by your LHS (part number HSP79766 400mm boat antenna). The 2.4 systems are vertically polarized and if you call the Futaba Service Center the techs there will tell you to get the lead vertical and not laying inside the box. Also the 15.75" length of the optional antenna makes it really easy to retrofit in boats that had 27 or 75mhz RX's in them. Remember only the last inch of the 2.4 lead is the actual antenna so do your best to get that part vertical and out of the radio box. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've started running all my 2.4 antennas inside the radio box. The low cost Tower receiver doesn't even have an antenna. The range of the Tower receiver is considerably less than a 75 MHz radio but is good enough for heat races on our clubs 1/6 mile course. The Futaba 2.4 module on my 3PK radio has lots more range but still not as much as the 75 MHz module.

Lohring Miller
What are the dimensions of your 1/6 mile course?

I run the 2.4 antenna up and out a little just to be safe.

Once I switched out all the antennas on my Futaba 603FS RX's to the optional longer antenna lead Futaba now offers I have just as much range as my 75mhz module did on my 3PKS radio. I run the new antenna leads approx. 7" above the deck which gets it farther away from the carbon lids, the metal tuned pipes and the water, all of which are known to be detrimental to 2.4 reception. The longer antenna lead from Futaba is listed as "boat only" so it is meant for our applications and can be had directly from Futaba or ordered by your LHS (part number HSP79766 400mm boat antenna). The 2.4 systems are vertically polarized and if you call the Futaba Service Center the techs there will tell you to get the lead vertical and not laying inside the box. Also the 15.75" length of the optional antenna makes it really easy to retrofit in boats that had 27 or 75mhz RX's in them. Remember only the last inch of the 2.4 lead is the actual antenna so do your best to get that part vertical and out of the radio box. :)

I seen Dons boat run at least 1000 feet left and right at Lake X. :) :) Great setup

Bob

Our course has 330 foot straights with 35 foot radius turns. I've been running 2.4 radios at the NAMBA Nationals since 2005 on a similar sized course with no problems. I still would run 75 MHz at the SAW events at Legg Lake. There you can get a long way from your boat.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back