Antenna wire length 2.4 GHz receivers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie Lerew

My Hitec Proton 4 antenna measures 4.5 inches out of the receiver. When positioned in the radio box mounted to the top of the lid it is just sticking about a 1/8 inch out of a carbon fiber Thunderboat cowl. This is a new boat for me and I haven't tested the reception yet and was wondering if it's possible to remove and install a longer antenna wire to allow it to stick higher out of the cowling. Does replacing with a longer one create a signal problem.
Ron

No, it won't create a problem. In fact, the only part of the antenna that receives a signal is the stripped end. The rest is shielded like a cable used for TVs. The fact that very little is outside of the CF cowl is what will cause an issue. CF is a good shield against RF energy.
As far as replacing the antenna, I know it's an easy task with Futaba receivers but don't know when it comes to Hitec

Thanks Mark,
There the same type end clip I opened my receiver up and they look the same. Now I need to find where to get a longer antenna wire.
Ron

So, speaking of radios.....I've been out of boating for a while, but starting to get interested again... one of my questions is,
are the old crystal radios no longer allowed by namba or IMPBA ? I got out just as the new radios were being phased in, and I still have all of my top of the line programable 3 channel futaba gear.
It would be a shame to not be able to use this stuff and start all over again...
So what's the story ? still useable to race with or not?

Yes.. they can still be used.. I am not going to qualify if it is or is not a good idea.. but as far as IMPBA or NAMBA of the FCC.. you can.

Grim

Do people still race with them ?
I understand that the radios of today are much better, and probably much safe in a twin hydro, but as long as they are an option, I will probably still use the old ones until I see what everyone is using... I hate to have relearn all the new bells and whistles of setting up a system.

Do people still race with them ?
I understand that the radios of today are much better, and probably much safe in a twin hydro, but as long as they are an option, I will probably still use the old ones until I see what everyone is using... I hate to have relearn all the new bells and whistles of setting up a system.

Yes, the 75MHZ radios are still being used by some racers, Tom Foley is one that comes to mind that still uses one and runs a twin also.

pretty much everything I have is on the futaba pistol grip radio that uses the dial setting for the frequency on both the transmitter and receivers. All my boats and rock crawlers are set up on it and one back up transmitter.

Latest posts

Back