1991-92 U-89 Miss Ginger Honey ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.R.Joye

I just aquired a epoxy glass hull that fits all the dimensional specs for #8501. According to the Scale Hull Roster #8501 lists the 85-86 U-1, U-12 Bubble Bud(Jones) hull and the 91-92 Miss Ginger Honey(old Bubble Bud).

I'm not a big Bud fan does anyone have any pics of the U-89 Miss Ginger Honey? Also did this boat ever qualify for a UL race is it legal scheme for scale?

Any Pics & info would be much appreciated.

Hey K.R.,

MHR shows 8501 as 1991 U-89 Miss Ginger Honey, and 1992 U-89 (Stiles Special per Hyfro's Who's Who). Ginger Honey was a DNQ at 15Sept91 Budweiser Cup in San Diego, and 27OCT91 Top Gun Hydrofest in Honolulu. It was also a DNQ in 18 - 20 Sept 1992 Budweiser Cup in San Diego. Here are the pics I took of boat 1992 San Diego.

I concur with your opinion. I too am tired of seeing Buds . CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks again Sir for vast knowledge of UL images

Ok so if the U-89 never qualified to race would it be a legal scale?

Hey K.R.,

MHR shows 8501 as 1991 U-89 Miss Ginger Honey, and 1992 U-89 (Stiles Special per Hyfro's Who's Who). Ginger Honey was a DNQ at 15Sept91 Budweiser Cup in San Diego, and 27OCT91 Top Gun Hydrofest in Honolulu. It was also a DNQ in 18 - 20 Sept 1992 Budweiser Cup in San Diego. Here are the pics I took of boat 1992 San Diego.

I concur with your opinion. I too am tired of seeing Buds .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey K.R.,

I concur with your opinion. I too am tired of seeing Buds . CHEERS !!! Bob
So put down that bottle of Bud and get to work ole man :p

How ya been Bob, sure would be good to see you again. When you going to get back down here for a little R&R ( Racing n Relaxation)?

Last edited:
Thanks again Sir for vast knowledge of UL images

Ok so if the U-89 never qualified to race would it be a legal scale?

I don't know why people come up with the "qualified to race"

Rules from the NAMBA rule book

C. HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. All boats will be models of past or present Unlimited Hydroplanes that are listed on

the Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster.

E. MASTER HULL ROSTER

1. The Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster will contain the name and

details that identify each boat that may be built for Scale Unlimited Hydroplane

competition. It will contain the principle dimensions of each boat that is listed, if

known.

2. The National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman will be responsible for

compiling, interpreting, updating, and distributing the official Scale Unlimited

Hydroplane Master Hull Roster. The official Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master

Hull Roster may be purchased for $5 and must be signed and dated by the National

Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman. He will make an updated roster available by

January 31st of each year. The updated Master Hull Roster will be posted on the

NAMBA web page.

3. Boats must meet the following criteria to be placed on the Scale Unlimited

Hydroplane Master Hull Roster:

a. The full sized boat must have been registered with an unlimited hydroplane

racing association.

Section # 21

Page # 4

Section Name:

SCALE UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE

Revised 12/16/09

b. The registered boat must have made at least one verifiable test run in the

water.

Rules from IMPBA

Still don't see anything about qualified to race

Registration Procedures

1. All boats must be registered with the District Chairman.

2. The District Chairman will require the following information in writing:

a. Name, address and phone number

b. IMPBA number

c. Unlimited name, year raced, and number

d. Length and beam of prototype boat and model

e. Prototype designer and boat colors

f. Must submit a photo of prototype boat

g. $5.00 initial registration fee and a $3.00 annual renewal fee due by

March 1. The registrant will receive a District Chairman approved form

verifying current registration. Approved form must be brought to all

contests. Purpose of fee-monies will be used for high point district

trophy, postage, printing costs, and other expenses incurred.

3. Boat must compete at a racing event within one year from registration.

Engine and Boat Specifications

1. All boats to be modeled after Unlimited hydroplanes from past or present.

2. All boats to be built to a scale of 1 1/2" to 1'0" (1/8 scale) plus or minus 10% of the

beam and 5% of the length.

3. Boats will look as scale as possible and meet the following requirements for racing

and scale judging:

a. Cockpit with driver

b. Complete all major lettering and paint schemes

c. Effort must be made to conceal glow engine with fake engine or cowling as

per prototype boats.

Great pictures, Bob. I will admit that the only picture I have seen of that hull configuration was similar to the last one you posted (on the Newton Marine site) and I thought the hull was gray.

The nose and canard combination make for an interesting look (and one that is very unique).

Rick

".... the only picture I have seen of that hull configuration was similar to the last one you posted (on the Newton Marine site)... The nose and canard combination make for an interesting look (and one that is very unique)."

Hey Rick,

I just went to the Newton site and pulled up the similar picture. I think it's cool that we both took pics of the hull as it was being dragged back to the pits at such a close interval in time. The San Diego race was where I first met Roger - we raced 1/8th Scale across the street on Saturday, then went across the street on Sunday to watch the Big Boats race. Roger was there in '92 and '93 as I recall. One year he was Crew Chief for Pete's Wicked Ale, so didn't have time to race the model on Sat. As I recall, Don Ast worked on Roger's tri wing Bud getting it ready to race.

The nose of the 'Beastie' was certainly very small. Good thing they didn't have an adjustable canard - where would all the linkage go.

Here are a couple of pics in the pits Sunday morning. How 'bout that 'POG'??? CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks again for the help guys now all i need is a graghic of the Hawaiian Spice Co LOGO

Hey RON i'm Bob Joyes brother Ken(the FE guy). I'll tell my bro you said hello!

Thanks again for the help guys now all i need is a graghic of the Hawaiian Spice Co LOGO

Hey RON i'm Bob Joyes brother Ken(the FE guy). I'll tell my bro you said hello!
Good morning guys...

I finally found what I was looking for. It's listed in the '06 roosertail...

1. All boats to be modeled after Unlimited hydroplanes from past or present.

Change to read:

1. All models must be of a real unlimited hydroplane listed in the APBA Master Hull Roster list.

In the event of a question of legality, the burden of proof falls upon the owner to prove the real

boat raced or qualified in a sanctioned event, in the configuration being modeled, via photo

graphic and/or written documentation. Failure to adequately meet the validation requirements

can result in disqualification.

This is where the verbiage for "qualified" shows up.

Later,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
" ...............the burden of proof falls upon the owner to prove the real boat raced or qualified in a sanctioned event,

in the configuration being modeled, via photographic and/or written documentation."

Mike,

It should also be noted that this is an IMPBA requirement, and does not apply to NAMBA.

I looked over the R/C Unlimiteds Rule Book on their site and did not see a similar requirement. I would guess that very few Scale boaters have the documentation to prove a particular hull "Qualified" or raced at a particular event. The only document I have ever seen is Jim Sharkey's Hyrdo's Who's Who 1946 - 1994 Edition, and I have seen an Update for 1995.

I poured through a number of Roostertails. This item first appeared in the March 2006 Roostertail on page 13. In the JUN09 Roostertail, I found what I believe was direction to make the change :

" ****On Page H-4 thru H-6 in the current March 2006 Rule Book, make the following five (5) selected changes************"

The Rule Book on the IMPBA site says it will be " Updated Soon". CHEERS !!! Bob

Back